• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid-19 testing centres for essential workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do we have a list of testing locations (I can't find one) and would we be able to choose a day and time or do we get it allocated automatically?

I started the sign up process but didn't click "submit application" as I wasn't sure what would happen next. I am sure many others would want to do this before me and so I'd rather let others have the chance first. I don't want to sign up for it now if it commits me to having it too soon; I was thinking of waiting a few weeks, maybe getting it done at the end of May.

Has anyone else here applied?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

I thought you (or someone in your household) needed to be showing symptoms to be able to get tested?

MDB1images

Thought the latest addition was just care workers (unless the individual showed symptoms and if so it applied to key workers and other workers)

Last edited:

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is changing so all essential workers can apply.
I believe you still need to have symptoms to have a test. The current test is to check whether you have the virus, it's not the test to check to whether you have previously had the virus.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I believe you still need to have symptoms to have a test. The current test is to check whether you have the virus, it's not the test to check to whether you have previously had the virus.

The groups that can be tested are as follows:

Who can be tested

Our priority is testing patients to inform their clinical diagnosis. In addition, we are now also testing:
  • all those working on the frontline in health and social care (with or without symptoms)
  • patients in the NHS and residents in care homes (with or without symptoms)
  • all other essential workers with symptoms
  • anyone over 65 with symptoms
  • anyone who goes into work because they cannot work from home (for example, construction workers) and has symptoms
  • anyone who has symptoms and lives with someone who meets any of the above criteria

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah ok thanks for the clarification

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

No, one of the purposes of it is to find asymptomatic cases to reduce unknowing spread (and so they can find out how many there are so how much of a concern it is).

wibble1989

You need to be showing symptoms or members of household need to show symptoms for a test.

Quote from gov website:

Check if you can have a coronavirus test
You can only apply for this test if you’re an essential worker who is self-isolating (not able to leave home) because:

you have coronavirus symptoms

you live with someone who has coronavirus symptoms

You should not apply for this test if you are not an essential worker.

johnnychips

Established Member
There is something I don’t understand about testing. If you are given a test and you are clear, you can go to (essential) work. But surely you would have to repeat the test quite frequently, in case you caught it off someone after you had the test.

DDB

There is something I don’t understand about testing. If you are given a test and you are clear, you can go to (essential) work. But surely you would have to repeat the test quite frequently, in case you caught it off someone after you had the test.
Testing is being priortised to those most at risk or likely to have it. So that is health/care workers, people who have symptoms and people who live with people that had symptoms who would otherwise have to wait 14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.