• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Keys - Newport direct services now operating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth386

Have these trains been running during the past month? I see they are not in this week's or last week's timetable on RTT, but they are in the timetable from next Monday onwards - are they likely to be removed on a rolling basis or likely to run?

Planning a trip to Wales but if they are not running I can skip the Newport area.
No, it hasn't been running for a while now, supposedly train crew staffing issues.
We've been given a few dates for it to start back up but it hasn't happened yet.
It's just a case of wait and see unfortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Have these trains been running during the past month? I see they are not in this week's or last week's timetable on RTT, but they are in the timetable from next Monday onwards - are they likely to be removed on a rolling basis or likely to run?

Planning a trip to Wales but if they are not running I can skip the Newport area.
No, probably, and I'd be surprised if they did.

However Ebbw Vale - Newport - Cardiff trains are timetabled on Sundays if it's a case of wanting to cover the Park Jn - Gare Jn line.

zero

However Ebbw Vale - Newport - Cardiff trains are timetabled on Sundays if it's a case of wanting to cover the Park Jn - Gare Jn line.

Oh good point, thanks for reminding me about these, guess I will be there on a Sunday afternoon then.

03_179

Established Member
I wanted to do a 2Kxx on 26th March from Newport to Crosskeys ... never ran :(

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The tickets are valid on the Stagecoach bus service 151 from Newport to Pye Corner. The service passes the station on the other side of the dual carriageway at the front.

Dai Corner

Established Member
The tickets are valid on the Stagecoach bus service 151 from Newport to Pye Corner. The service passes the station on the other side of the dual carriageway at the front.
also on the station side of the dual carriageway (Queensway) on journeys towards Newport, in Roherstone and Risca (more convenient for most passengers than the stations) and outside Crosskeys and Newbridge stations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The Sunday services between Cardiff Central and Ebbw Vale Town which reverse at Newport have been running. Check the timetable for details as it's not all of them and not a particularly frequent service.

father_jack

Removed from planners/TRUST this week we are in and all next week.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Trains are running today, having been 'uncancelled' prior to the timetable change (and elections) next month.

RP

Trains are running today, having been 'uncancelled' prior to the timetable change (and elections) next month.
According to Realtime trains were running this morning. However, the services from Newport to Crosskeys since 12.20 appear to have been cancelled until at least 17.20. No trains appear in the timetable from Monday next week. It's surely a pointless exercise until the enhancement work north of Crosskeys is completed!

Starmill

Veteran Member
According to Realtime trains were running this morning. However, the services from Newport to Crosskeys since 12.20 appear to have been cancelled until at least 17.20. No trains appear in the timetable from Monday next week. It's surely a pointless exercise until the enhancement work north of Crosskeys is completed!
I don't think it's completely pointless, both Pye Corner and Rogerstone get very rapid journey times into Newport city centre, and its quicker from the whole valley even with just the service from Crosskeys to Bristol, London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. However it is pointless if it's just running ad hoc in a way nobody trusts.

Signal_Box

Points issues at Park Junction, caused multiple cancellations unfortunatel.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Points issues at Park Junction, caused multiple cancellations unfortunatel.
Initially, now its 'issues with the train crew' and from 1920 onwards an 'unknown reason' according to RTT.

Edit: 'resource availability' according to Journeycheck.

Last edited:

Signal_Box

Initially, now its 'issues with the train crew' and from 1920 onwards an 'unknown reason' according to RTT.

Edit: 'resource availability' according to Journeycheck.

Standard Saturday, Sunday and pick any day of the week reason then……

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Transformation of Newbridge and Llanhilleth stations set to begin in readiness for more frequent services to Newport​

Ebbw Vale Line passengers to benefit from improved rail journeys as Network Rail prepares for major upgrades at two stations

Funded by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, supported by a loan from the Welsh Government, the £70m investment includes extending the existing platforms and building brand new platforms at Newbridge and Llanhilleth stations - and the installation of a fully accessible footbridge with lifts at Llanhilleth station.

Over the coming weeks, site compounds and working areas will be cordoned off at both stations on the Ebbw Vale branch line, ahead of major work taking place in October.

Materials, machinery, cabins and welfare facilities will be brought to the compound areas, in preparation for major construction work to begin at both stations in October.

Nick Millington, Interim Route Director for Network Rail Wales, said: “I’m delighted this project to increase trains on the Ebbw Vale line for the communities it serves has reached this key milestone.

“An additional hourly service to Newport will open up a wealth of opportunities for communities on this route while providing easier, low carbon, access to other large cities on the south Wales mainine.
“We know there’ll be some disruption as we safely deliver this work so I’d like to thank the local communities and passengers in advance for bearing with us.”[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.