• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry website - SMS spammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaltoast

I registered to get the 10% discount for Crosscountry fares.
I have only ever got one text spam on my phone in my life.
One hour after registering, ticking the "receive updates by text" option, I received a spam ("bored housewife seeks gullible loner to receive texts at £1.50 each").
Was this co-incidence, or has anyone else had the same?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Look at the phone number that it was sent from
Also, check the terms for CrossCountry alerts by SMS, there may have been an additional option to prevent marketing information
Personally, I never apply to such schemes

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is "real" but an absolutely rubbish offer.

There is no evidence I can see that there is any more availablity of cheap fares than there is normally.

The 10% off is just them giving up their commission - like what NXEC do on their website, except NXEC do it all the time!

digitaltoast

There is no evidence I can see that there is any more availablity of cheap fares than there is normally.

The 10% off is just them giving up their commission - like what NXEC do on their website, except NXEC do it all the time!

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I wasn't doubting the 10% offer at all which may be "rubbish" to you, but simply by booking on one website rather than another, I save £10 per £100 - I think I'll keep using it for the time being for those XC legs of the journey!

Mintona

Established Member
digitaltoast said:
One hour after registering, ticking the "receive updates by text" option, I received a spam ("bored housewife seeks gullible loner to receive texts at £1.50 each").

Doesn't seem like a rubbish offer to me - she might be hot!

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have signed up with them, but I did not give them my mobile number.

It's not a bad deal to get 10% off but the way they've been advertising it as a 'Sale' it suggests the quotas are high and they aren't. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.