• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cruise News & Discussion

Iskra

Established Member
I mainly wanted to create a thread for the following bit of news, but I thought that as cruising is a bit of an under-discussed area, I'd make a more general thread.

Marella Cruises cancels 2024-25 Asia and Middle East programme​

By Josie Klein | April 11, 2024, 14:06

Marella Cruises has cancelled its 2024-25 Asia and Middle East programme due to ongoing conflict in the Red Sea.
The line said it was a “difficult decision” to cancel the sailings scheduled to depart between November 1 and April 30, 2025, but it has done so “for the safety of our customers and crew”.
Affected passengers will be given the option of either a full refund or rebooking with a £200 discount.
The line has not yet confirmed new deployment plans.
A spokesperson said: “We appreciate how disappointing this news will be and, therefore, all impacted customers will be contacted by their booking agent to discuss the options available to them.
“Options include being able to rebook with a £200 per person reduction or receive a full refund.
“Once again we apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused to impacted customers and we hope to see them on board a Marella Cruise very soon.”

Quite a number of cruise lines seem to be cancelling or heavily amending anything that involves going through Suez, or near Israel in the Med at this point. Personally, this has led to the cancellation of a Marella cruise that I'd booked from Singapore-Malaysia-Indonesia-Sri Lanka-India-Oman, which would barely be affected but the next leg of the ships journey heads through Suez. I was very excited for this one as I haven't been to the Far East, Middle East (this is now my second cancelled holiday to the Middle East!) or been on a Dreamliner which I would have done on that trip, plus the railway interest in Sri Lanka and elsewhere, but oh well.

Instead, I've now booked back-to-back cruises with Princess cruises on Sun Princess (new line for me and first time on such a new ship and my first 'mega ship') which goes from Florida to Bahamas (to their private Island, which I'm a bit unsure about conceptually), Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, back to Florida then to Mexico, Belize and Honduras before returning to Florida. Flights with Virgin to Miami so still a possibility of a Dreamliner there and I'm mainly interested in the Central American ports. We're meeting some American friends we made on a previous cruise on the second week of that cruise, and I may tie-in with another US friend somewhere.

Previous cruises I've been on:

Carnival: Florida, Bahamas, Florida- just to see if cruising was for me.
Celebrity: Florida, Southern Caribbean islands including Barbados, Antigua, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Maarten. The best cruise line I've been with so far, I was also able to go up on the ships bridge which was a great experience.
Marella: Eastern Mediterranean (Greece, various Greek Islands and a bit of Turkey). I really enjoyed this one and Marella are probably the best operator in terms of value for money that I've travelled with and it does feel a lot easier when one company provides the flights, cruise etc.

My ultimate dream cruise would probably be South America to Antarctica via the Falkland Islands, but that is a bit aspirational at this point :D

Does anyone have any cruises booked, or been on any particularly memorable ones in the past? Has anyone got any thoughts on traditional size ships vs 'mega ships' or on any particular cruise lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon81uk

Getting on my seventh cruise with Virgin Voyages on Sunday. Never done any other line and wasn't convinced cruises were for us until we did VV. They have mid-sized ships at 2700 passengers, and there are plenty of small to medium bars to find a space for yourself in. The transatlantic is a nice trip to have a week at sea just enjoying the food and relaxing.

Iskra

Established Member
Getting on my seventh cruise with Virgin Voyages on Sunday. Never done any other line and wasn't convinced cruises were for us until we did VV. They have mid-sized ships at 2700 passengers, and there are plenty of small to medium bars to find a space for yourself in. The transatlantic is a nice trip to have a week at sea just enjoying the food and relaxing.
Awesome, what’s the itinerary that you’re doing? I would like to do a transatlantic in the future, but I don’t know if I’d like it if the weather wasn’t great, and currently the most sea days that I’ve done is just one, so I may need to work up towards a cruise involving quite a few in a row.

jon81uk

Awesome, what’s the itinerary that you’re doing? I would like to do a transatlantic in the future, but I don’t know if I’d like it if the weather wasn’t great, and currently the most sea days that I’ve done is just one, so I may need to work up towards a cruise involving quite a few in a row.
Miami, then 8 nights at sea, Funchal Maderia, sea day, Malaga, sea day, Valencia (was origianlly Palma de Mallorca) and then arrving at Barcelona.
Did this one in reverse (Barcelona to Miami) 18 months ago and the weather was OK, a few raining days in the atlantic and some very rough seas near Gibraltor.

Iskra

Established Member
Miami, then 8 nights at sea, Funchal Maderia, sea day, Malaga, sea day, Valencia (was origianlly Palma de Mallorca) and then arrving at Barcelona.
Did this one in reverse (Barcelona to Miami) 18 months ago and the weather was OK, a few raining days in the atlantic and some very rough seas near Gibraltor.
Wow, 9 sea days is quite some going, I bet dry land is a fine sight after that :D Enjoy, and I’d be interested to hear how it goes.