• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CT Scanners at Security

Butts

Veteran Member
What a nice surprise it was going through Security at Jersey this morning as they have installed the latest kit.

Not having to take anything out of your bag is fantastic, if only the scanners were everywhere.

Are UK Airports not supposed to convert by next year ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Just been through FT Security at LHR T3 with the new "leave everything in your back scanners"

Unfortunately mine went down the reject lane as the machine took exception to my Mini Bottle of Listerine for some unexplained reason.

Still a lot less hassle than normal :idea:

Anyone else got any recent anecdotal experience of "CT in Action" - or "Inaction" :?::?:

DanNCL

Established Member
I had one at Newcastle airport this morning. Worked as it was supposed to, much easier than the old scanners were.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l'm not impressed with them from my experience of the Trial lane at T5 and also City Airport. Everything seems a lot more slower, with many more rejects from items that are perfectly legit. l was rejected and subject to a manual bag check for having a pack of baby wipes in the bag. Having said that, it'll be very handy for weeks away not having to purchase very expensive travel sized full-sized toiletries or toiletries from Boots post-security (although to be fair at least prices at UK airports are typically fairly reasonable unlike abroad).

CarrotPie

Helsinki-Vantaa has had them for a couple of years now. I've been through there many a time and there's never been a problem (but then a 5-minute queue is unheard of usually). They seem to have sped up security somewhat since before, but even with half the lanes cloed there's usually not a queue, so I can't say how much of a difference they've made.

westv

Established Member
With the new scanners do you still have to remove belts, jackets, wallets etc.?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
So still a bit of faffing then.
The liquids rule relaxation will be a significant improvement though. Trying to find >50 SPF sun creams in a very small bottle is an awkward task here in the UK for those of us light enough to burn with several layers of SPF50!

Butts

Veteran Member
The liquids rule relaxation will be a significant improvement though. Trying to find >50 SPF sun creams in a very small bottle is an awkward task here in the UK for those of us light enough to burn with several layers of SPF50!

They do mini-ones in Boots alongside the similarly extortionately priced deodorants toothpastes et al...to be fair often 3 for 2 which ameliorates the cost a little.

You can top them up from full sized variants once in possession of the correct sized container.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
They do mini-ones in Boots alongside the similarly extortionately priced deodorants toothpastes et al...to be fair often 3 for 2 which ameliorates the cost a little.

You can top them up from full sized variants once in possession of the correct sized container.
Oh yes, I often do top them up, but it results in having to buy additional full sized containers at the other end, which makes 3 day breaks in the sun less economical as I can't then bring the large bottle back.
For longer, I typically get a checked bag, so this is less of an issue.

westv

Established Member
ours go in the hold luggage.
impossible to get a week's luggage in overhead.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
ours go in the hold luggage.
impossible to get a week's luggage in overhead.
Yeah, it's just trying to go for an extended weekend break is more expensive and means I discount going to hotter countries for that extended weekend break.
Main hols are fine, but it's a bit of a bugbear for shorter hols.

mikeg

Established Member
I've heard these are a disaster for film photography. Can anyone comment on their experience?

rf_ioliver

Helsinki-Vantaa has had them for a couple of years now. I've been through there many a time and there's never been a problem (but then a 5-minute queue is unheard of usually). They seem to have sped up security somewhat since before, but even with half the lanes cloed there's usually not a queue, so I can't say how much of a difference they've made.
Helsinki Vantaa has come under a lot of scrutiny lately - there *are* queues because there aren't enough staff and now the scanners are reporting a lot of false positives. I also find the queues after security if your back gets checked much slower now. There has even been allegations that the queueing process is being deliberately tampered with to make sure the business line waiting times are "correct".

Now, Oulu, that's a great airport to fly through for security. Just turn up an hour before your flight and you can have security, the cafe, the bar and all the seating to yourself.
Yes - they're for your bags, not you!
There's a lot of airport security which is just theater and because once something has been introduced you can't get rid of it "just in case". Check out Bruce Schneier's security blog about this - makes for fascinating reading on the subject.
Yes, by the end of 2024, UK airports should be equipped with those scanners. The EU is lagging behind somewhat, unfortunately.
The "EU" ...? All of it? All 26 countries?

mikeg

Established Member
So the question arises : how do I travel abroad with photographic film now? I'm just getting back into film photography and am glad I didn't take my stuff on my previous trip by the sound of it.

Bungle158

A set of 100 ml travel bottles may be an idea.

Red Onion

So the question arises : how do I travel abroad with photographic film now? I'm just getting back into film photography and am glad I didn't take my stuff on my previous trip by the sound of it.

Ask for it to be hand searched, which they should do.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
The "EU" ...? All of it? All 26 countries?

Yes. It should have been dealt with at EU level, requiring these scanners to be installed at any airport in the EU that has more than a certain amount of passengers yearly. The UK got it absolutely right in this case, whereas we're going to have a mess of rules in the EU for the next 10-15 years until these scanners become widespread.

There's a lot of airport security which is just theater

Yes, agreed. Unfortunately, we all suffer for this theatre, particularly in airports that rely on poorly paid staff in expensive cities. Berlin-Brandenburg is a textbook example of this problem, where they simply can't find the people to actually staff security properly. Then the whole theatre also means that security checkpoints are often not open until 2 hours before the first flight, causing horrendous queues in the morning.

The other major issue is that despite huge amounts of money spent, we still haven't found a way to actually speed up the process. It's still a labour intensive process that requires huge amounts of airport real estate, whereas we really should be at the point now where someone travelling can just dump their luggage on the tray and walk through scanners without removing anything from their pockets or taking off any items of clothing.

westv

Established Member
Oh for a world where there was no need for all this and getting on a plane was as simple as a train. I can but dream.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
A set of 100 ml travel bottles may be an idea.
I have them, it's more buying a full bottle (typically around a few hundred ml or more) when I get there for a 3 day break and then wastefully chucking it when I go back through security on the way back.
Unfortunately, I need more than 100ml for those few days, I burn very easily :frown:
Hence the significant advantages when CT scanners come in

Last edited: