• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

curiosity about the history

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaee

Nowadays, railways have security checks.
but in old times, Are there any security checks in railway stations?
Maybe hand held security metal detectors didn't exist at that time.
tx2002-dualuse-ultra-high-sensitivity-pinpointer-95100004-100x100-1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
At one time just about every station was effectively gated

theageofthetra

On Moderation
An interesting question. What extra security was there during the war years or during the height of IRA activity?

PeterC

Established Member
I commuted by rail into London through the height of "the Troubles" and apart from more visibiliy by police officers there was no additional security visible at stations.

The roads were another matter with the "ring of steel" around the City. From the actual vehicle stops that I observed I was suprised at just how many black Irishmen lived in London.

Hornet

An interesting question. What extra security was there during the war years or during the height of IRA activity?

Apart from litter bins being removed, during the active years of the IRA, none.

Canisters capable of withstanding a blast from a 3lb explosive device are being produced. Bins were removed from London's railway stations following an IRA mainland bombing campaign in 1981. At the time, they were used by terrorists as an easy way to leave a large bomb in a crowded area.
Since 1985, official Home Office advice has been to remove or seal bins at all railway stations. Some local authorities went further and took away all bins throughout town centres. Despite the IRA ceasefire, ministers still want to maintain precautions against terrorism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1318740/Bomb-proof-bins-in-anti-litter-campaign.html

The only time I had problems accessing Stations for Photography purposes during the 80's and 90's was from officious ticket collectors at some South and South West London gatelines. The rest of the BR system there were no problems, (not even a requirement to visit the SM at major Stations).

Last edited:

coppercapped

Established Member

From what I have read about railways during the years of the Second World War there was no additional security against 'terrorist' type incidents apart from the generally heightened vigilance common during those years. Danger came from the skies, not from one's fellow citizens.

341o2

Established Member
From what I have read about railways during the years of the Second World War there was no additional security against 'terrorist' type incidents apart from the generally heightened vigilance common during those years. Danger came from the skies, not from one's fellow citizens.

There was indeed fear of spies and posters were put up proclaiming
"Careless talk costs lives" and "Be like dad and keep mum"

I've mentioned this before, but one "security" ploy during WW2 was to remove road and other signs in order to confuse any German spies or troops parachuted into England. Reading was thought to be high risk and destinations were altered on its trolleybuses to confuse any invaders such as Tilehurst was shown as "The Bear Inn"

Members of the Light Railway Transport League once went to record the final years of the Southampton tram system during the war and were met by a posse of police on returning to London (by train, of course, as few people in those days had a car) having been reported as photographing certain locations which were forbidden

randyrippley

Established Member
In Somerset the road bridges over the River Parrett were all rigged for rapid destruction during WWII . Some were removed and replaced with temporary wooden planks, easy to lift in a hurry. Others had chambers for explosives cut into their arches / decks.
I presume rail bridges were treated in a similar way though I've never found references to it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Not many people know about the IRA's Sabotage Campaign of 1939-40.

This was a somewhat bizarre campaign where the IRA aligned itself temporarily with Nazi Germany, and continued after the outbreak of WWII. This campaign concentrated almost exclusively on strategic infrastructure, in Britain at least, and railways were attacked several times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Plan#Timeline

There are quite a few incidents listed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.