• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day out with Thomas... thomas's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giblets

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong section for it, but recently went to a 'day out with Thomas' event (Buckinghamshire rail).
One big question for me is what rolling stock is Thomas based on at the various day out with Thomas events? Was hoping for something somewhere, but no joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Not entirely sure what you're asking so I will try and cover all bases!

Thomas the Tank Engine, the Rev W Awdry character we all know and love, was based on an LBSCR Billinton class E2 0-6-0 tank engine. None of these locomotives made it into preservation, unfortunately.

In terms of the actual loco you will see on preserved railways, most 'Thomas' locomotives are rebuilt from industrial tank engines - mostly Hunslet/WD Austerity 0-6-0 saddle tanks. The best likeness of the original Thomas in my opinion is the one based on the Mid-Hants railway, although the Nene Valley 'Thomas' was christened by the Rev Awdry so they consider theirs to be the original or official Thomas, despite it not being that close a match on closer inspection.

Hope that helps - please feel free to ask if I haven't fully answered your question!

giblets

Thomas the Tank Engine, the Rev W Awdry character we all know and love, was based on an LBSCR Billinton class E2 0-6-0 tank engine. None of these locomotives made it into preservation, unfortunately.

In terms of the actual loco you will see on preserved railways, most 'Thomas' locomotives are rebuilt from industrial tank engines - mostly Hunslet/WD Austerity 0-6-0 saddle tanks. The best likeness of the original Thomas in my opinion is the one based on the Mid-Hants railway, although the Nene Valley 'Thomas' was christened by the Rev Awdry so they consider theirs to be the original or official Thomas, despite it not being that close a match on closer inspection.

Hope that helps - please feel free to ask if I haven't fully answered your question!

Cheers, the second part was what I was looking for! Buckinghamshire's is a Hunslet produced loco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerekC

Established Member

I am surprised, thinking about it, that there isn't a project to build a new one. It would get lots of publicity and pocket money contributions!

simonw

I am surprised, thinking about it, that there isn't a project to build a new one. It would get lots of publicity and pocket money contributions!

Many railways have given up on Thomas events due to the high fees charged and regulations imposed by the company that owns the rights.

There is a story that the wrote to the Bluebell demanding royalties for the use of the Stepney name. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Many railways have given up on Thomas events due to the high fees charged and regulations imposed by the company that owns the rights.

There is a story that the wrote to the Bluebell demanding royalties for the use of the Stepney name. :)

You'd think that the Bluebell could write to them demanding royalties.
They might have to get a new nameplate made for the loco with a little (c) in the corner though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.