• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay based on travelling to a different station

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarmicle

If I intend to make a journey from A to B, but because of cancellations/delays, am either forced to or choose to travel to C instead (where C is close to B), on what basis should delay repay compensation be calculated? I could see arguments both for:

- the difference between the scheduled arrival time at B and the actual arrival time at C
- the difference between the scheduled arrival time at B and calculated arrival time at B based on the actual arrival time at C and the length of a walking/tube/bus transfer to B from C/

For example, if I had a ticket from Cambridge to London Terminals, and would normally have travelled to Kings Cross arriving at 1200, but instead arrived at Liverpool Street at 1225, would I have a Delay Repay claim for less than 30 minutes or for more than 30 minutes? (Would it make a difference if I had a Cambridge to Kings Cross ticket?--I recognise these do not exist, but supposing they did for the sake of the question, i.e. that my ticket would not be eligible to travel to Liverpool Street when there was no disruption).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
If I intend to make a journey from A to B, but because of cancellations/delays, am either forced to or choose to travel to C instead (where C is close to B), on what basis should delay repay compensation be calculated? I could see arguments both for:

- the difference between the scheduled arrival time at B and the actual arrival time at C
- the difference between the scheduled arrival time at B and calculated arrival time at B based on the actual arrival time at C and the length of a walking/tube/bus transfer to B from C/

For example, if I had a ticket from Cambridge to London Terminals, and would normally have travelled to Kings Cross arriving at 1200, but instead arrived at Liverpool Street at 1225, would I have a Delay Repay claim for less than 30 minutes or for more than 30 minutes? (Would it make a difference if I had a Cambridge to Kings Cross ticket?--I recognise these do not exist, but supposing they did for the sake of the question, i.e. that my ticket would not be eligible to travel to Liverpool Street when there was no disruption).
I don't think there is any official policy or procedure for this kind of circumstance, but I suppose the delay would be based on how much later you reach your "destination" - provided you make reasonable efforts to minimise delays (i.e. by not intentionally missing reasonable connections).

So if your ticket is to London Terminals and it's Any Permitted, then I would have thought your Delay Repay would be calculated with reference to the delay caused in reaching any of the permissible London Terminals for that ticket (i.e. either King's Cross or Liverpool Street, in your example), unless there was a specific reason why you had to go to one London Terminal (e.g. an onward connecting train from King's Cross).

But if, as you say, you had a ticket valid only to one London Terminal then Delay Repay would probably be calculated with reference to your delay in reaching that specific London Terminal (i.e. in your example, your delay in reaching King's Cross even if you actually had to go to Liverpool Street and then take the Tube).

I think anyone claiming for a delay as above might face some difficulty getting what they consider to be the "correct" compensation, given that this situation is a little unprecedented, and there is likely not to be much relevant guidance for staff assessing such Delay Repay claims.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We need to know the stations and tickets involved to be able to advise.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
We need to know the stations and tickets involved to be able to advise.

We would - if your destination is “London Terminals” there’s an argument that as soon as the TOC gets you to a London Terminal that’s that, even if it’s not the one you originally wanted.

Personally I think TOCs should pay out on the intended station in the station Group.

bcarmicle

So this hasn't actually affected me *yet*, but the scenario that inspired it was in fact the one I outlined in the first question, except that I happened to arrive over an hour late at Liverpool Street, so the amount of the Delay Repay wasn't in fact in dispute.

However, the reason I'm asking is because I have a monthly London Z1-3 Travelcard, and I travel from Wimbledon to Waterloo on SWR. However, if there is disruption, I might have to take the District Line to Westminster, which is both slower and slightly farther from my workplace.

scrapy

Established Member
So this hasn't actually affected me *yet*, but the scenario that inspired it was in fact the one I outlined in the first question, except that I happened to arrive over an hour late at Liverpool Street, so the amount of the Delay Repay wasn't in fact in dispute.

However, the reason I'm asking is because I have a monthly London Z1-3 Travelcard, and I travel from Wimbledon to Waterloo on SWR. However, if there is disruption, I might have to take the District Line to Westminster, which is both slower and slightly farther from my workplace.
I think if you explain all the circumstances common sense will usually prevail. In had similar when I travelled to Wilmslow instead of Macclesfield on Virgin and and I explained the circumstances and my intended destination off the railway and they paid no problem.

Muzer

Established Member
In the past when I completely changed my jouney due to a very long delay, CrossCountry gave me delay repay as if I had made the whole journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.