• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay due to missed connection at Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Hi everyone, I feel I already know the answer to this but I thought I would ask the knowledgeable posters on here.

Can I still claim delay repay for the following - my train into Birmingham New Street arrived 17 minutes late, meaning my connection time had gone down to just five minutes.

When I got off the train at platform 2 with suitcase, my connecting train was on platform 11 and I had three minutes to make to it.

On arriving at platform 11 after trying my best to race across the concourse above with suitcase, the train had just started to leave as I was coming to the bottom of the escalators.

I was travelling on advance tickets and got permission to use the next service was now in 58 minutes time.

This next train was then cancelled due to a train fault developing on the train, so my wait in Birmingham New Street ended up being over two hours, because the next train arrived late (presumably picking up the passengers of the cancelled service).

Ultimately I arrived at my destination over 2 hours late due to the original train arriving at BNS 17 minutes late.

Even though when this service arrived at BNS and my connecting was also present, can I still claim Delay Repay?

Will they honour the minimum connection time? I think they should but just wanted to ask before I send the tickets and form off in the post.

Eric

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Yes, you can. It doesn't matter if a hypothetical unladen person good at running and who knew the layout of the station could have caught the train - it only matters whether *you* caught the train. Since you didn't, you can submit a delay repay claim with the TOC who caused the original delay (the 17 minute late one). If they have space on the form, say that you were unable to make the connection due to being laden with luggage (or whatever). As long as it's true!

Keep track of it and be sure to contest it if they deny the claim.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Hi everyone, I feel I already know the answer to this but I thought I would ask the knowledgeable posters on here.

Can I still claim delay repay for the following - my train into Birmingham New Street arrived 17 minutes late, meaning my connection time had gone down to just five minutes.

When I got off the train at platform 2 with suitcase, my connecting train was on platform 11 and I had three minutes to make to it.

On arriving at platform 11 after trying my best to race across the concourse above with suitcase, the train had just started to leave as I was coming to the bottom of the escalators.

I was travelling on advance tickets and got permission to use the next service was now in 58 minutes time.

This next train was then cancelled due to a train fault developing on the train, so my wait in Birmingham New Street ended up being over two hours, because the next train arrived late (presumably picking up the passengers of the cancelled service).

Ultimately I arrived at my destination over 2 hours late due to the original train arriving at BNS 17 minutes late.

Even though when this service arrived at BNS and my connecting was also present, can I still claim Delay Repay?

Will they honour the minimum connection time? I think they should but just wanted to ask before I send the tickets and form off in the post.

Eric

A small point: could you change BNS to BHM, as the three letter code for Birmingham New Street is BHM? BNS is the code for Barnes, which is south of the mighty Thames.

To answer the question posted, yes you should get the full amount back as the delay to the journey was greater than 2 hours.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Based on the information provided, it sounds like the delay to your journey was over 2 hours, which entitles you to 100% delay compensation.

You allowed 22 minutes at Birmingham New Street (the CRS code for this station is BHM), which is 10 more than the minimum required, so that is a valid connection.

If you are in doubt as to the validity of the claim I would recommend stating the details here now so we can check. If it is rejected, it may be much harder to check in a few weeks time...

I recommend taking a photograph of the tickets and attach them to this form: https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/contact-us/delay-repay as this will avoid any possibility of the claim being lost in the post.

superalbs

Established Member
You allowed 22 minutes at Birmingham New Street (the CRS code for this station is BHM), which is 10 more than the minimum required, so that is a valid connection.
It's twelve at BHM, for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.