• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot driver to Mainline - training

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheikG

Hello all,

I'very been offered a depot driver job with Abellio Greater Anglia at the Ilford depot. I was only told that it would be a depot driver job and not mainline when I arrived at interview, therefore not all relevant questions came to mind at the time.

Can anybody tell me how long training takes to go from a fully qualified depot driver to a mainline driver? I understand some of the training would have already been done and am trying to find out essentially what timescale it would take for a depot driver to go through training and successfully transition into mainline driver?

Thanks you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExMover

It depends on the company and whether they train you to full mainline rules or not. If your duties require you to take the train onto NR, (eg taking the train to and from the station) then you will probably be mainline qualified. If you just drive within the confines of the depot, you probably won't be.

In the case of my TOC, the requirement is 2 weeks of high speed handling to get you used to travelling at more than 5 mph (our mainline drivers operate at 125mph) and then it's straight into route learning. Selection is purely on seniority as a Depot Driver (and a clean record!). Usually about 2 years.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hello all,

I'very been offered a depot driver job with Abellio Greater Anglia at the Ilford depot. I was only told that it would be a depot driver job and not mainline when I arrived at interview, therefore not all relevant questions came to mind at the time.

Can anybody tell me how long training takes to go from a fully qualified depot driver to a mainline driver? I understand some of the training would have already been done and am trying to find out essentially what timescale it would take for a depot driver to go through training and successfully transition into mainline driver?

Thanks you

If you're concerned you may have to take a pay cut to train as a mainline driver you may well find it isn't an issue. At my TOC shunters/guards etc. on the driver course remain at their previous salary level and aren't bumped down to the "off the street" trainee driver wage.

Shunter_69

GA Depot Drivers now do a shorter training course so to transition to Mainline Driver means you have to do the full trainee Mainline driver course from scratch.

There are unlikely to be any Traineee Mainline jobs at Ilford for a number of years due to current staffing levels but this doesn't stop you applying for other depots (most of the current non professional DD's have applied internally and a couple are due to go to Bishops Stortford later in the year).

You are normally expected to do a years productive service before you can move internally.

Trainee Mainline positions have been advertised twice this year so far there will be opportunities if you are happy to move about.

FlashingMoon

Hi Shunter 69, if possible could you please shed some light on the DD training? ie what does it cover and how long it runs for?
Many Thanks

Shunter_69

DD training has changed since I did it with GA so I'm not an expert.

I believe you spend a week or so doing PTS (Personal Track Safety). You then spend a week at the depot shadowing a DD before going back to the Academy to learn about signals and a few other bits. It's the. 3-4 weeks of traction training before going to your depot for specific depot training. At Ilford it's 25 days minimum and includes 20 hours shunting with the 08.

After that you are assessed and if you pass you are let loose in the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.