• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Divisional Superintendent

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSC Friends

I am trying to decipher the signature of the Divisional Superintendent for the Newton Abbot area in Aug. 1945. It's on Additional Instructions for Aller Signal Box, Newton Abbot Station instruction.
It looks like H A ---orth. Any knowledge, please?

Attachments

• DS HA orth.jpg
    DS HA orth.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 45
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I think that the Divisional Locomotive Superintendent at Newton Abbot from 1927 through to at least 1952 may have been Mr AWH Christison (sometimes, seemingly inaccurately, spelt as Christenson or Christinson).

RSC Friends

Thanks Romilly, but I can't square that suggestion with the signature in the image I have uploaded to this thread - it definitely looks like he has signed it with a name ending in 'th' . This guy is dealing with signal boxes, instructions, safety communications and rail movement, not locos as such - is there an alternative in your archive, please?
Thanks

John Webb

Established Member
The Divisional Superintendent in this case would have been the Signalling department's man, not the Loco side of things. I've a couple of books covering signalling in that part of the world, but they are both about 20 years later, and no names, when mentioned, seem to match your signature.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
A Divisional Superintendent on the GWR was the senior operating manager for that Division, similar to a Divisional Operating Manager post in BR days.

randyrippley

Established Member
Alworth, Allworth or Ashworth

Plenty of Ashworths now live in Somerset.
192.com doesn't list any Alworth or Allworth

RSC Friends

Thanks to all of you - good collaboration!
I have now found he is Horace Alfred George Worth, son of a print compositor , born in Hammersmith, 19 May, 1898. Apprenticed as a clerk to GWR in 1913, rose through the ranks to Divisional Superintendent, Exeter Division, retired in 1950 and died 1975 in Bournemouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.