• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do deep-level Tube trains have heating?

thomalex

A huge issue for TfL is how to cool the deep tubes as they get hotter all the time, and decades of heat generated by motors, other equipment and people has accrued in the tunnels and the surrounding substrate, meaning dissipating it becomes ever more difficult. Obviously, air-conditioning only worsens the problem outside the trains, an issue that New York suffered/s from with their air-con trains and stations so hot the chewing gum on the ground never sets! The London tube is uncomfortably hot sometimes in winter as people are wearing warmer clothes, and often almost unbearable in summer. However, all tube stock has heating because large stretches of route are above ground.

Surely this doesn't include the Victoria line which is exclusively below ground. And even in January very warm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Surely this doesn't include the Victoria line which is exclusively below ground. And even in January very warm.

Correct - the Victoria line's 2009 Tube Stock does not have any saloon heating.

However the depot of the line is above ground, hence BJames's comment earlier in this thread (post #8):

I did wonder this, when I'm at Seven Sisters in the winter and a train has come in empty from the depot, it's actually quite cold - one of the only times I ever experience the Victoria line in that way. Warms up quickly enough but still.

Nym

Established Member
Has already been established in this thread by @Nym that 2009 Stock do not have heaters.
Indeed.

Nor do any of the units have de-icing equipment.

Does get interesting at the ramps at Northumberland Park Depot in the heights of winter... Manual De-Icing of conductor rails. Fun!.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There used to be a train lift at Waterloo for the W&C, but it was demolished to make way for the Eurostar platforms.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I did see you mention that before. I'm not sure under what circumstances an S Stock driver would leave the doors open at a terminus - I've never seen that at Uxbridge for example. Perhaps someone will be along with a potential reason as to why that might happen.

(As a slight aside, I always open both sides of the saloon doors in Rayners Lane sidings in summer to try and reduce the heat build up before going back east. I'm not sure it actually does anything, but it makes me feel better.)
Certainly in my experience on the S Stock waiting at Richmond the doors are enabled as per main line stock, ie passenger door buttons to open, then auto close after a minute or two.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The new Piccadilly stock will have air conditioning (or air cooling, depending on who you believe). I expect this will take the form of a reversible heat pump, so it can provide interior heating when necessary without needing significant extra equipment in the limited on-board space. Can anyone confirm?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Do you count the dumping of heat from rheostatic braking on the Victoria line as heating?
They have regenerative braking, which much reduces the amount of waste heat produced compared to rheostatic braking.

Goldfish62

Established Member
When they are working, which unfortunately is not always, but perhaps I have been unlucky.
How can you tell that the trains are using rheostatic rather than regenerative mode? Both use the traction motors as generators to provide braking resistance.

Nym

Established Member
How can you tell that the trains are using rheostatic rather than regenerative mode? Both use the traction motors as generators to provide braking resistance.
When you step out of the doors on the 11, 13 and 14 cars you'll feel the heat from the brake resistors as you step through it.