• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you like flying scotsman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daimler

Established Member
If we are talking history, then OK she's cool - ish, because any fool knows Truro was there first. But aesthetically No No No! To look anything proper a boiler MUST be tapered, then there is just the right combination of elegance and power being portrayed (compare rebuilt and unrebuilt Patriots/Scots). And I will grant that Spamcans have an air of the bizarre about them, which excuses the complete lack of visible boiler.
One point made above does make me sad - that anyone can "grow out" of steam. All types of railway motive power have their attractions, even 4-SUBs, and it is not a question of "growing". De gustibus non est disputandum!

While I agree that the Patriots/Scots only looked 'right' after they were fitted with taper boilers, the LNER pacifics' smooth, streamlined bodywork do have an air of elegance about them, surely, with the cab 'hunkered down' behind the boiler!

Oswyntail

Established Member
While I agree that the Patriots/Scots only looked 'right' after they were fitted with taper boilers, the LNER pacifics' smooth, streamlined bodywork do have an air of elegance about them, surely, with the cab 'hunkered down' behind the boiler!
What always puts me off, though, is the rather fat-faced look of the front, which, IMHO, spoils the effect of elegant speed intended. Just to be even more controversial, the standard, full-size smoke deflectors seem to emphasise the problem, while the German style actually reduce it.

almark

So these people who say its not a famous loco,just the same as any other? I can't really think of many others that have been more places,done more mileage? Can't exactly say something like 45407 or 71000 is more famous that FS!? Having said that,hardly any of what is on Scotsman now has been to AU and the US etc so in its current state its fairly ordinary.

The main reason they shouldn't just stuff and mount it as they have done with 4771 Green Arrow is because it is,at the end of the day,one of a kind,we have 3 A4's out there already,so it wouldn't be worth sending Mallard out,but i think 4472 is a more important loco,especially seen as though we will then have (hopefully,in a few years time) working examples of A1,A2,A3 and A4.

Cheers,
Mark

CosherB

Established Member
Thing is, although from a rail history viewpoint (and UK rail history is what NRM is about) 4472 is pretty irrelvant, the 'non enthusiast' public think it's the top loco in the world (maybe 2nd, after 'Hogwarts Express', or 3rd after 'Thomas'). :roll:

So NRM would not get away with a static exhibit - having 'bought it for the nation' they have to get it running. It will drain their finances dry in the process, but if they do get it back on the main line, because Joe Public likes it (heaven knows why) it has the potential to generate revenue. Whether it will ever pull in what it cost to restore, only time will tell.

My view is that they should never have got involved. I'd far rather see 'Hamilton' or 'Lode Star' in steam than this boring A3.

FlyingScot

:cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is the reason I call it a him.
There is no Mr. duchess of hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.