• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double headed 31's

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

I have fond memories of double headed 31's on the settle and Carlisle railway does anyone know of any workings again in the future

cheers

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
I'd love it to happen again, but somehow I don't think it will. Happy memories of the mid-80s 07:38 Hull > Carlisle and 16:35 return, which was a double header with a long rake of Mk Is. I usually had my head out in the cutting north of Settle listening to the greatly magnified thrash. Magic! :)

Established Member
I beleve that was the plan with pathfinder last year, but then it got changed to a single 56 and postponed to this year, the grid tour last year was 31190 so I guess not all bad, I don't know why DBS wont do any of the NR 31s on tours, id personally love that, the 31s are great locos, lets hope we have more 31s on tours

Established Member
Do the Network Rail 31s ever go over the S+C doing whatever work they do? Might be the only time you'll see 31s going that way.

Established Member
Do the Network Rail 31s ever go over the S+C doing whatever work they do? Might be the only time you'll see 31s going that way.

any 31s doing a charter wont be NR, it'll be 31190 and 31128, well in the case of DBS anyway I heard that they wont do certain 31s dispite them only being owned by a different company, Im willing to be corrected though

Last edited:

Dreadnought

any 31s doing a charter wont be NR, it'll be 31190 and that other one if it ever gets out on the mainline, well in the case of DBS anyway I heard that they wont do certain 31s dispite them only being owned by a different company, Im willing to be corrected though

That other one would be 31128!

DBS have requirement that all locos that work tours on their safety case need to have fully accredited / audited maintenance procedures. For the Buffer Puffer last year RVEL had not been accredited / audited by DBS which is why GBRf provided 66844. There was talk that this was going to happen but whether it has or not I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.