• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double red lines in roads outside of London?

Howardh

Established Member
Walking along London Road in Brighton I noted that there were double red no parking lines, which I thought only appeared in London and around some airports.

Do any other towns/cities have double red lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The road has been resurfaced so probably using the opportunity to install red lines.

Is this gonna creep in to other cities?
Already has. A Google for “red routes“ finds articles from all over the country.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Solihull has also had “red routes” for at least 20 years.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Double red lines: No stopping/parking or loading/unloading at any time

(whereas double yellow permit loading and blue badge parking? )

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Double red lines: No stopping/parking or loading/unloading at any time

(whereas double yellow permit loading and blue badge parking? )
Red lines indicate no stopping. The exceptions being a bus at a bus stop, or a blue badge holder / taxi for the purpose of dropping off or picking up authorised passengers. Local authorities (including TfL) may also issue permits allowing vehicles to stop and/or park for other reasons.

Yellow lines technically mean no waiting (although I’ve always considered this to be a misnomer and think it’s easier to say no parking) but anyone can stop on them for the purpose of picking up or dropping off passengers, or for loading, or for blue badge parking for up to three hours when displayed alongside a blue badge time clock [some inner London councils do not permit this]. This is unless accompanied by yellow blips on the kerb; where these are present no loading is permitted (one blip during times stated and two at any time) and also no blue badge parking is permitted.

blueberry11

I think initially, red routes, and therefore (double) red lines were initially only authorised to be used in London, followed by Birmingham. Since the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2016, it can now be used throughout the UK without having to apply for special permission. In other words, local councils are now free to use red routes as they wish. However, they are still uncommon or rare outside of London and Birmingham.

RAPC

We've even got them not far from Bolton, up in parts of Lancashire including Blackburn.

Lancashire County Council were reviewing rolling them out further in areas under their control, at the end of last year.

Trainman40083

Walking along London Road in Brighton I noted that there were double red no parking lines, which I thought only appeared in London and around some airports.

Do any other towns/cities have double red lines?
Certainly some by the railway station in Nottingham

bluenoxid

Established Member
Sticking with the theme of airports, there are some installed around Leeds-Bradford airport.

gaillark

They also can be found within parts of Epping Forest around High Beach (the woodland/open spaces ... not to be confused with the administrative district of Epping Forest).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do these mean the exact same thing as double yellows with double yellow kerb markings, but just more obvious as to the meaning? I can't discern any difference other than technically?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do these mean the exact same thing as double yellows with double yellow kerb markings, but just more obvious as to the meaning? I can't discern any difference other than technically?
You can stop on double yellows with loading restrictions for the purpose of picking up / dropping off a passenger, whereas you can’t on red lines (unless for a blue badge holder, licensed taxi/private hire, bus at designated bus stop or other authorised vehicle)