• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver rota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tysoe

Hi all, couldn't see a more suitable area to put this but I've been offered a place at cross country and they've given me a blank rota as an example but I'm struggling to understand it. I've attached it if a driver can explain it to me.

Would drivers names be down the left side and this would be a rota for 1 week or would drivers be repeated down the left? I know the a/r are standby shifts.

This is a cross country Cambridge rota if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• Scan_202404271134.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 188
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

Yes you would drop a line every week.

AR means as required, I dunno what the movement hours are like for CC but where I am they can only move you 2 hours before or 2 hours after.

Tysoe

Thank for your reply, so the times on there would be the shift start and end times? And what do you mean by movement times?

Sorry new to all this

WF4HA5HE

Thank for your reply, so the times on there would be the shift start and end times? And what do you mean by movement times?

Sorry new to all this
At my company we would call "as required", Spare meaning your not booked to work any trains at the minute but may be asked to work one when you book on or during your shift. Movement times mean when your on a "as required" duty the company can change your booking on and off times by 2 hours either way. So say you where "as required" at 5AM-1PM they can change your book on to 4AM-1PM aslong as they inform you obviously.

Twotwo

Sorry new to all this

Jobs that have numbers are booked jobs. Unless amended it won't change. I think some jobs can start and finish a bit later if there's engineering works etc but again all depends on the movement hours for booked shifts in your toc.

Ar shifts means your basically there to cover jobs so if your ar time is 14.00 they can move you to a job that starts at 12.00 or 16.00 and same thing goes with your finish time. Some tocs only allow certain couple of hours for movements within a 48 hour notice.

Teddyward

This thread discusses spare movement at XC

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
7 days rostered on in a row. No thank you!

Longer working stints normally also lead to longer RD stints. Swings and roundabouts. Some people prefer that over just 1 or 2 RDs here and there.

whoosh

Established Member
Start time, finish time / Duty number (or A/R) / Duration

At Cross Country Sundays are all overtime, but you have a commitment to work them all (apart from the ones surrounding any annual leave week - but not if you've strung some ad-hoc days together to make a week). You can give away Sundays to other drivers, or take extra ones from other drivers.
With any swaps of weeks, or days off, or Sundays, you both need a minimum of 12 hours rest between duties.

A/R is 'As Required'. You can be allocated to any job which is uncovered (someone's sick, on leave, there's a vacancy, etc.).
If you get a longer job than your A/R hours, you'll get overtime for the difference. You can be given a job upto the maximum duty length at your TOC.
If you get a shorter job than your A/R hours, you don't lose out.
The notice you get depends on TOC, so at my TOC I can be moved from my A/R time to a duty with 48 hours notice.

If you dont get allocated a job, you go in at your A/R time and sit in the messroom. You can be given work (either a whole duty, or part of one) that fits within your hours that day.

S/B is 'Safety Brief' - sometimes called STUD (Safety Training Update Day). Discussing any rule book changes, and looking at incidents. There is an industry video series called 'Red' which has reconstructions of incidents/near misses.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
S/B is 'Safety Brief' - discussing any rule book changes, and looking at incidents. There is an industry video series called 'Red' which has reconstructions of incidents/near misses.

And how soul destroying are some of those to sit through? Thankfully we are normally on our toes and heading home within 3 hours.

whoosh

Established Member
And how soul destroying are some of those to sit through?
Some are OK, but did you see the one about 'Asset integrity'?

Oh My God!!!
Talk about 'fatigue index', lol!

dk1

Veteran Member
Some are OK, but did you see the one about 'Asset integrity'?

Oh My God!!!
Talk about 'fatigue index', lol!

I may have drifted off as nothing is springing to mind lol. I’m totally up to date as have had two STUD days so far this year.

Efini92

Established Member
I may have drifted off as nothing is springing to mind lol. I’m totally up to date as have had two STUD days so far this year.
Are they loaning you out to produce the train drivers of the future? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.