• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dropping down like flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
The news that Ipswich buses may be sold to Go Ahead, and the approval of the purchase by Stagecoach of Islwyn Borough Transport, by the OFT, could reduce the number of council owned bus firms in Britain to single figures, 9.

For the record, they are

Bws Caerdydd/Cardiff Bus
Newport Transport
Lothian Buses
Blackpool Transport
Thamesdown
Rossendale
Halton Transport
Nottingham City Transport (20% owned by Transdev)
Reading Trsnport

It leads me to ask you this question. How many of those English based firms will still be council owned at the end of 2010? I very much doubt Lothian will be sold (The scottish government has never shown a desire to order Edinburgh City Council to sell), and both Cardiff and Newport, being in Wales, may be subjected to different cultures. Though, in those three cases, never say never.

Or you could ask, how many of those nine firms will still be council owned at the end of 2010, if you so wish to provide an answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

Not sure about the end of 2010 - perhaps 2011 - but I would think a Tory government would want the companies in private hands, Blackpool perhaps being a special case for the moment because of the tramway.

Status
Not open for further replies.