• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Railways DD-AR and VIRM

Bikeman78

Established Member
It occurred to me the other day that both these fleets, built in the early to mid 1990s, had 81 examples. Rather a coincidence and quite a strange number. Why not 80? What did they replace? I guess the VIRM units finished off the last of the Hondekops but most had already been replaced by the four car Koplopers. I guess the DD-AR was purely built for growth; longer and more frequent trains. The 1964 plan T and V didn't start being withdrawn until the early 2000s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanielB

DDAR was built because of the introduction of the OV studentenkaart, which offered students free travel (in exchange for a little bit of their study loan). NS anticipated this would increase the number of passengers in local services, so it was mostly meant to free up Mat'64 and SGM to lengthen trains.
Actually there weren't 81 DDAR: that's just the number of class 1700 locomotives. There were just 79 driving trailers (cars type Bvk) and the number of possible consists was further reduced as there were only 76 ABv cars (with 1st class) and all DDAR had a 1st class section.
Must have been some spare cars and locos in the fleet therefore. DDAR was technically a loco hauled train, so swapping a damaged car was relatively easy.

The other double deck order was DDIRM (not VIRM, the V stands for verlengd [= lengthened] which happened later).
This fleet was ordered for a new class of train, the Interregio. Hence IR in the name. Here actually 81 sets were ordered, though these are also called "treinstam" and not "treinstel" (the latter translates as trainset) with cars capable of being swapped. Which actually happened: there have been odd consists with a class 86 number (indicating first generation) in which just the car determining the set number being one from the first generation.

Regarding the order size I'd expect it to have been an order for trains with a certain number of seats. DDM-1 already had the odd number of 9 sets. And even with newer trains you'd see those odd fleet sizes: there are 131 SLT, 206 SNG and will be 109 ICNG for example.

Bikeman78

Established Member
DDAR was built because of the introduction of the OV studentenkaart, which offered students free travel (in exchange for a little bit of their study loan). NS anticipated this would increase the number of passengers in local services, so it was mostly meant to free up Mat'64 and SGM to lengthen trains.
Actually there weren't 81 DDAR: that's just the number of class 1700 locomotives. There were just 79 driving trailers (cars type Bvk) and the number of possible consists was further reduced as there were only 76 ABv cars (with 1st class) and all DDAR had a 1st class section.
Must have been some spare cars and locos in the fleet therefore. DDAR was technically a loco hauled train, so swapping a damaged car was relatively easy.

The other double deck order was DDIRM (not VIRM, the V stands for verlengd [= lengthened] which happened later).
This fleet was ordered for a new class of train, the Interregio. Hence IR in the name. Here actually 81 sets were ordered, though these are also called "treinstam" and not "treinstel" (the latter translates as trainset) with cars capable of being swapped. Which actually happened: there have been odd consists with a class 86 number (indicating first generation) in which just the car determining the set number being one from the first generation.

Regarding the order size I'd expect it to have been an order for trains with a certain number of seats. DDM-1 already had the odd number of 9 sets. And even with newer trains you'd see those odd fleet sizes: there are 131 SLT, 206 SNG and will be 109 ICNG for example.
Thanks. I hadn't spotted that there were only 76 first class coaches. Makes sense to have a few more locos and driving cars as they will need more maintenance.

I remember the DDIRM when they were new. I think the first routes were Zwolle to Roosendaal and Amsterdam to Vlissingen. They were 82xx and 84xx. I cannot recall the proportion of three and four cars. Currently there are 31 four cars and around 50 six cars in the first series. Not sure if they are all still running.

rvdborgt

I remember the DDIRM when they were new. I think the first routes were Zwolle to Roosendaal and Amsterdam to Vlissingen. They were 82xx and 84xx. I cannot recall the proportion of three and four cars.
Yes, the trainsets were 3/4-car back then. I lived in Nijmegen at the time and used them a lot.

DanielB

I cannot recall the proportion of three and four cars. Currently there are 31 four cars and around 50 six cars in the first series. Not sure if they are all still running.
34 three car and 47 6-car according to Dutch Wikipedia. So the proportion has changed over time. There have been quite a few cars swapped between sets after fires or collisions, so probably it shifted because of that.
After all, a set containing five VIRM 2/3 cars and only the car giving the number being a VIRM-1 car, will still be numbered as class 86.

DanielB

The DDNG is meant to replace DDZ. VIRM just had it's midlife revision, is prepared for 25 kV and will get ERTMS, so those sets will still be around for a while.

Bemined

Are VIRMs likely to be affected by the new CAF DDNGs?
Not by the base order, but in the tender they asked for additional options to be ordered until 2036. VIRM1 turns 40 years between 2034 and 2036 so it is possible they will be replaced by DDNG. VIRM2-4 though isn't due for replacement until 2043-2049.

DanielB

Talking about there trains - they seem to not be cleaned very often. Any specific reason?
That applies to any Dutch train. NS blames staff shortage, but the dirty trains were a thing before covid as well (and staff was less a problem then).

They seem to operate a bit too efficient nowadays: a train just arriving after a three hour trip from Groningen reversed in just 10 minutes in Rotterdam. That leaves very little time for cleaning as new passengers are already boarding in those 10 minutes.

Agreed. It's hard to believe they are 30 years old.
You'd only know if somebody told you. Travelling on them presents such a wildly different age in my mind! They feel more morden than many of the trains that have been built for the UK market in the last 10 years.

Bikeman78

Established Member
34 three car and 47 6-car according to Dutch Wikipedia. So the proportion has changed over time. There have been quite a few cars swapped between sets after fires or collisions, so probably it shifted because of that.
After all, a set containing five VIRM 2/3 cars and only the car giving the number being a VIRM-1 car, will still be numbered as class 86.
It has been difficult to keep up with all the reformations. I've had a ride on all the first series. Got the last two I needed earlier this year.

You'd only know if somebody told you. Travelling on them presents such a wildly different age in my mind! They feel more morden than many of the trains that have been built for the UK market in the last 10 years.
The sound as they pull away is the biggest clue. They sound like the Networkers and the Jubilee line stock.

Last edited: