• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineering trainee train drivers wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT66

I don't see this job getting the usual 1000's of apps. I mean its been advertised a while and there was nothing at all on the forums. As far as I know it's basically a depot driver then a chance of mainline after 18months productive.

Geargrinder

I don't see this job getting the usual 1000's of apps. I mean its been advertised a while and there was nothing at all on the forums. As far as I know it's basically a depot driver then a chance of mainline after 18months productive.

The depot driver v Mainline has been debated to death. But I think you make a good point that it won't get the volume of applicants, in comparison to the mainline roles.
I think with these roles the TOCs are more or less going to have to say there's a chance to go mainline as the assessments are the same, particularly as there are vacancies advertised regularly for trainee mainline drivers.

Dave1987

On Moderation
The depot driver v Mainline has been debated to death. But I think you make a good point that it won't get the volume of applicants, in comparison to the mainline roles.
I think with these roles the TOCs are more or less going to have to say there's a chance to go mainline as the assessments are the same, particularly as there are vacancies advertised regularly for trainee mainline drivers.

Blimey you are making huge assumptions there! Like I've said before if you are only willing to go in for a trainee mainline driver you are severely restricting your chances. How many people on the other thread have been told thanks but no thanks currently. How do you know that a load of the depot drivers at Paddington haven't been given those mainline positions?

Geargrinder

Blimey you are making huge assumptions there! Like I've said before if you are only willing to go in for a trainee mainline driver you are severely restricting your chances. How many people on the other thread have been told thanks but no thanks currently. How do you know that a load of the depot drivers at Paddington haven't been given those mainline positions?

My assumption is that in having to meet the same assessment standard, trainee mainline driver is more attractive, from the outside, than trainee depot driver. You could commit to this role (if successful) only to see more trainee driver roles advertised which you would already meet the assessment criteria for - hence fewer applicants for MDD. I'm also assuming that the TOC needs x number of MDD's all of the time, it seems to me they would be better off having the depot role as the starting link with progression from there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When does this start, two thousand and never? Please apply to Billy Smart @ first group, lol.

I guess you have had a bad experience with First Group somewhere along the line ?

Dave1987

On Moderation
My assumption is that in having to meet the same assessment standard, trainee mainline driver is more attractive, from the outside, than trainee depot driver. You could commit to this role (if successful) only to see more trainee driver roles advertised which you would already meet the assessment criteria for - hence fewer applicants for MDD. I'm also assuming that the TOC needs x number of MDD's all of the time, it seems to me they would be better off having the depot role as the starting link with progression from there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I guess you have had a bad experience with First Group somewhere along the line ?

Well I took the opinion that going in as a depot driver with the virtually certainty of being mainline within a few years was better than waiting for a mainline position to be advertised and be accepted. For some TOCs you have to start as an Depot Driver and for others you have a much better chance if you are an internal. If you are purely waiting for a trainee mainline position you could be waiting a long time, and in the meantime people who have gone for a role like this might just have got the mainline position.

Monty

Established Member
I decided to bite the bullet and apply for this one as Old Oak is relatively close to my current location, I won't hold my breath however its been such a long time since I've filled one of this applications out I had forgotten how much of a test it is in itself!

notadriver

Established Member
What is the salary for this position? I personally would prefer an onboard role (conductor/guard) as a stepping stone to the main line driving position.

Dave1987

On Moderation
What is the salary for this position? I personally would prefer an onboard role (conductor/guard) as a stepping stone to the main line driving position.

Being a guard isn't really a stepping stone though as you still have to pass the assessments. As a depot driver you have already passed them so can just start mainline training for which you are already 2/3rds trained so go straight to modules 4 & 5. And again for some TOCs guards have to be depot drivers before they can be mainline so sorry your logic doesn't really work.

TheVicLine

Works ok with my company, about 50% of trainee drivers are taken from current guards and they perform better during initial driver training due to their understanding of how the company works and their route and rules knowledge.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Works ok with my company, about 50% of trainee drivers are taken from current guards and they perform better during initial driver training due to their understanding of how the company works and their route and rules knowledge.

Does your TOC have depot drivers? I'm starting to agree with Bev that there is real apathy for the depot driver grade. For my TOC when Depot Drivers go for mainline training they take very little training to mainline standard as they know most of the rule book, have very very good traction knowledge and have actually driven trains for a few years. A guard certainly does not have better rule book knowledge than a DD. Most of the guards I know say they are just glorified ticket inspectors now! Plus if a guards route knowledge is so good why are they not classed as a competent person if the AWS is isolated???

Last edited:

Geargrinder

From the outside looking in there does appear to be some apathy as described towards the depot driving role. It does seem to me that there is just as much concentration required at times in both roles. Mainline - route knowledge and travelling at speed, reacting to signals etc, passenger responsibility, suicides, trespassers. Depot - working within the hazards of a depot/sidings with people wandering about, isolated brakes, ground signals, radio, pulling points, traction knowledge, coupling etc etc. Its obvious that the mainline role should get the higher pay and I don't think even Bev can really argue that.
At the risk of being, controversial, is some of the apathy (if that's the right word)because there are now a lot of drivers who came straight "off the street" and were never cleaners, guards, depot drivers ?

GB

Established Member
Plus if a guards route knowledge is so good why are they not classed as a competent person if the AWS is isolated???

Having good route knowledge as a guard does not automatically mean you have the same standard of route knowledge required to sign off a route as a driver would.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Having good route knowledge as a guard does not automatically mean you have the same standard of route knowledge required to sign off a route as a driver would.

Sorry I was merely pointing to that part in the rule book that a guard doesn't count as a competent person.

Smiffy75

Anyone know what the basic role of engineering train driver would be, as opposed to a regular depot driver? i.e. purely depot based or working on possessions on running line. I guess too Crossrail will have some sort of impact.

st.ives

Anyone else been invited to take the online tests? I am assuming they are similar to the one FCC does.

Beveridges

Established Member
Depot Driving is underrated on this forum. It is automatically assumed to be "bottom link" driving by some on here who have never done it.

Compared to all-stops, tedious, local branch line work on crap traction, it's varied and enjoyable. This is coming from drivers who have done both. It may or may not be the pinnacle of driving - this is subject to opinion - but its certainly not bottom link work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.