• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British heritage lines which are returning to normal, post Covid-19 restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanstallon

From Australia, in 2013 I connected at Grosmont on a Sunday with ease to the railcars for Darlington, with a main line connection there.

By the end of this year I hope to connect from and to Network Rail at Keighley (assume pronounced 'Keith-leigh') by rail. Perhaps a minority, but let's not assume no one does it.
I believe that a genuine railway enthusiast will always prefer to use a 'main line' connection to reach a preserved line, if at all possible. When that 'main line' has a frequent service, all the more so. Keighley, Kidderminster, Bodmin Parkway, East Grinstead and no doubt others are ideal in that respect. I must admit that the Whitby - Grosmont - Whitby line, with its infrequent service, could be a bit nail-biting if you are relying on a connection at Grosmont at the end of the day, but Whitby is well connected by bus to Middlesbrough and Scarborough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I believe that a genuine railway enthusiast will always prefer to use a 'main line' connection to reach a preserved line, if at all possible. When that 'main line' has a frequent service, all the more so. Keighley, Kidderminster, Bodmin Parkway, East Grinstead and no doubt others are ideal in that respect.
Alton falls in the same bracket.

Veteran Member
Having been a member of the Worth Valley, I don't know how many users of the line transfer to and from Northern at Keighley, even though it's very convenient. Northern services are quite frequent to/from Leeds and Skipton so there should be little worry about connections.
It varies enormously, except on Gala weekends when Keighley fully justifies having its second ticket window open and most of them seem to come by rail - whereas some at least of the more mixed groups (shall we say) use the car park!

I would hazard a guess at 15% of our total passengers excluding group bookings
arriving by rail. That said, the railway is probably the best placed of any NR-connected line: 25min from Leeds and within the urbanised WY Metro area with its relatively cheap fares, so it is not surprising that it has a decent proportion of passengers arriving by train (and bus!).

12C

There has been an arrangement with Great Western railway for people to buy through tickets from, say, Plymouth to the B&WR at a very advantageous rate. My friend got such a ticket earlier this season, so presumably that is still available.
If that’s the case it’s a shame it’s not advertised, there’s no mention of it on the website. Also the risk being if such a ticket was bought on the main line train, the B&WR train could arrive full (which is quite possible in high season, especially as ‘fully booked’ may not actually mean all seats taken, if for example a couple have treated themselves to a private compartment), they would be turned away and would have wasted their money.

It’s a shame as last time we visited in 2019 it was so simple. I appreciate some may disagree but I think attractions with good public transport links are being irresponsible by not promoting these. Traffic in Cornwall is horrendous this year, especially with the roadworks on the A30, which is why we’re trying to use the car as little as possible. If properly advertised I’d imagine using main line rail would be popular, especially if discount tickets were available.

Mainline421

If that’s the case it’s a shame it’s not advertised, there’s no mention of it on the website. Also the risk being if such a ticket was bought on the main line train, the B&WR train could arrive full (which is quite possible in high season, especially as ‘fully booked’ may not actually mean all seats taken, if for example a couple have treated themselves to a private compartment), they would be turned away and would have wasted their money.
I doubt they'd be turned away. They'd just get on and show it to the guard like any other ticket, I did this a couple of years ago.

trebor79

Established Member
I doubt they'd be turned away. They'd just get on and show it to the guard like any other ticket, I did this a couple of years ago.
Indeed..if they were turned away it would be a breach of contract wouldn't it?

12C

From the horse’s mouth:

”We encourage all of our visitors to book their tickets in advance. For 2022 we are going to continue with allocated seating. We cannot guarantee that if you turn up on the day without a booking that we will be able to accommodate you.”

Last edited by a moderator:

D Williams

The BWR is in the process of re-inventing itself after a combination of Lockdown; the loss of key staff due to retirement, redundancy and ill-health; an almost complete change of management staff, some of whom have no railway experience whatsoever ; loss of a number of volunteer staff and the loss of its major benefactor. It now operates largely as a railway providing train "rides" rather than a service. No attempt is made to encourage passengers from the main line, in fact as has been pointed out, this is discouraged. TTIs are not permitted to sell tickets on the train. Colesloggett Halt is no longer used. Single locomotive operation and Mk 1 coaches will be the order of the day , the auto coach only being in use until one of the BSKs has been overhauled. The 121 unit and the dining set is in store with no plan to return these to use. Several items of stock have already been sold and removed from site.

The reason for the push to pre-booked tickets is to avoid overcrowding and to spread the demand through the day. Now that 4247 has left only four coach trains can be handled unless diesel assistance is provided and in any case, at present there are only four coaches in an operable condition!

A far cry from the heady days of the past.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
From Australia, in 2013 I connected at Grosmont on a Sunday with ease to the railcars for Darlington, with a main line connection there.

By the end of this year I hope to connect from and to Network Rail at Keighley (assume pronounced 'Keith-leigh') by rail. Perhaps a minority, but let's not assume no one does it.
Plenty do it. On a weekend usually at least a handful for every Leeds train that is timed right. Frequent Leeds services help, I use them getting there to volunteer.

gswindale

I believe that a genuine railway enthusiast will always prefer to use a 'main line' connection to reach a preserved line, if at all possible. When that 'main line' has a frequent service, all the more so. Keighley, Kidderminster, Bodmin Parkway, East Grinstead and no doubt others are ideal in that respect. I must admit that the Whitby - Grosmont - Whitby line, with its infrequent service, could be a bit nail-biting if you are relying on a connection at Grosmont at the end of the day, but Whitby is well connected by bus to Middlesbrough and Scarborough.
I would disagree on that point - maybe if you're a middle-aged "train-spotter" with no family, but if you are a "genuine" enthusiast wanting to impart some of that enthusiasm onto your children, then which is going to enthuse them more? A 20 minute car journey to the preserved line or a 30 minute journey to a mainline station followed by a ride on a modern train just to get to the "main event".

Whenever we travelled on the SVR as a child, the journey there was always by car as it was so much easier than having to faff about with buses/trains etc. approx 1 hour to drive from our house to Bewdley station or 2+ hours if you went purely on public transport.

xotGD

Established Member
Plenty do it. On a weekend usually at least a handful for every Leeds train that is timed right. Frequent Leeds services help, I use them getting there to volunteer.
Plus there is through ticketing which, if I recall correctly, gets you a Day Rover for the price of a return to Oxenhope.

12C

I would disagree on that point - maybe if you're a middle-aged "train-spotter" with no family, but if you are a "genuine" enthusiast wanting to impart some of that enthusiasm onto your children, then which is going to enthuse them more? A 20 minute car journey to the preserved line or a 30 minute journey to a mainline station followed by a ride on a modern train just to get to the "main event".

Whenever we travelled on the SVR as a child, the journey there was always by car as it was so much easier than having to faff about with buses/trains etc. approx 1 hour to drive from our house to Bewdley station or 2+ hours if you went purely on public transport.
Each to their own, but in the case of our 2 young children, they have much more fun going by train, even if it takes a bit longer it makes it more of an adventure. The car is something boring we do the school run etc in.

I often think by travelling car the day out begins when we pull up in the car park of wherever we’re visiting, whereas by train it begins as soon as we set off from our local station.

railfan99

Established Member
It varies enormously, except on Gala weekends when Keighley fully justifies having its second ticket window open and most of them seem to come by rail - whereas some at least of the more mixed groups (shall we say) use the car park!

I would hazard a guess at 15% of our total passengers excluding group bookings
arriving by rail. That said, the railway is probably the best placed of any NR-connected line: 25min from Leeds and within the urbanised WY Metro area with its relatively cheap fares, so it is not surprising that it has a decent proportion of passengers arriving by train (and bus!).

I am also planning to travel on Ecclesbourne Valley Railway that has connections to and from Derby and Matlock at Duffield, as well as North Norfolk Railway with its 'end on' (across a level crossing) connection at Sheringham, plus tStrathspey Railway that connects at Aviemore, Scotland.

Terrific that your nation has so many that offer this.

The one that ought but doesn't (yet) on a regular basis is the longest line, West Somerset Railway at Bishops Lydeard. The Plc's newsletters suggest it's being worked on but may take years to come to fruition.

Others will disagree but of all your preserved railways, WSR is the one on which I am most looking forward to. Even has interlocked gates at a quite busy road crossing used by seaside holidaymakers and residents of a very large 'small homes' (glorified caravan park) just around the corner. Often there are 10 plus intermediate passengers joining at this station (Blue Anchor) and a few or more alighting, so it can be well patronised, which is great.

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
Others will disagree but of all your preserved railways, WSR is the one on which I am most looking forward to. Even has interlocked gates at a quite busy road crossing used by seaside holidaymakers and residents of a very large 'small homes' (glorified caravan park) just around the corner. Often there are 10 plus intermediate passengers joining at this station (Blue Anchor) and a few or more alighting, so it can be well patronised, which is great.
Watchet is a good place to get off and look around. As well as the usual town facilities, there is a small boat museum, and a radio museum.

Status
Not open for further replies.