• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Estate agent experiences

Citybreak1

So I got a valuation done and the guy said he would photograph house ready to sell. Heard nothing back the other main agents ignored my emails when I asked about a certain area I was keen on. And same with this one I said which area I prefer. Is it simply they don’t have house I want to buy so are not interested?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
I sold mine 4 years ago, got fantastic service from my agent, recommended who I should sell to as had a few offers and then chased things up when things were going slowly.

I was not buying.

75A

Established Member
When we sold one of ours in 2022 (Leicestershire) we tried the local one & Purple Bricks, the local guy was there for an hour, P.B were then 10 minutes and couldn't have been less interested, would not recomend them.

Gloster

Established Member
You really need to ask around and find out who other purchasers and sellers dealt with, and what they thought. And hope that they haven’t changed owners, managers or important staff. When I bought my current place a couple of years ago, the agents were generally fine, except…The whole company seemed to be held together by the woman at the front desk: when she went on a fortnight’s holiday it all fell apart until she was back.

Quite a few years ago a friend worked for a reputable, efficient and well-managed agents in Devon. He quit after the owner retired and put in a manager who made Glengarry Glen Ross look laid back and principled by adopting some thoroughly questionable, though legal, methods.

gswindale

Back in 2015 when we moved, our local agent who sold our house was great.

Going up the chain, the solicitors dealing with the sale of the house our vendors were purchasing were not responding to anything, but our agent got involved and got things moving. The solicitors acting for our vendor (and their estate agents) were particularly useless - I had a phone call about 1:15 confirming the sale had completed. By the time I got to the estate agent to pick up the keys (must have been 20 minutes later), the estate agent said they knew nothing and I'd have to wait until the solicitors office were back from lunch.

I would personally avoid using any of the Countrywide brands - particularly if they are pushing to use their in-house solicitors.

simonw

So I got a valuation done and the guy said he would photograph house ready to sell. Heard nothing back the other main agents ignored my emails when I asked about a certain area I was keen on. And same with this one I said which area I prefer. Is it simply they don’t have house I want to buy so are not interested?
I think estate agents are one area where you still need to visit, rather than make initial contact by email. Most will only be interested if you are in a position to move, ie have sold already or have other funds so don't need to sell in order to buy.

Established Member
Four years ago we chose agent B because my daughter said that, when selling her house, she'd first tried agent A, who didn't manage to sell it, and after she'd switched to agent B she found they provided feedback about what viewers had said, whereas agent A hadn't.

Agent B had about six offices in the area, while agent A had only one. With the internet and sites like Rightmove that shouldn't make much difference. The managing director of agent B talked fluently and at length about how many of the homes they handled got sold without even going on the market, because they offered them to waiting buyers.

It didn't work out that way. Their representatives who showed people round made little effort to point out the plus features of the house; we could have done that much better, but they didn't want us to. After a few weeks they came to see and suggested that we should "review" the asking price. Their attempts to explain why they'd recommended the initial price were pathetic.

We took it off the market. Then someone who had been shown round by Agent B offered to buy it, and eventually did so (the delay mainly attributable to an incompetent solicitor, but that could form another thread). Because the agent had originally introduced the buyer to the property they could have argued that they were entitled to their commission, but they never did so, and we haven't reminded them.

Having other offices in the area, agent B reckoned they could easily find the sort of house we'd like to move to, but their suggestions were almost always wide of the mark. I still get emails from them telling me about new properties which match our requirements, but they hardly ever do.

Ken X

I would definitely use an agent with a local office you can easily visit to encourage good behaviour. Reputation and background research is essential.

When we sold our last property both the agent and I were part of the village Pantomime cast. (Oh yes we were). He stuck the property on the market on the Monday at what we all thought was a fair price. By Wednesday he had three full price buyers with confirmed funds. He held a blind auction and got us another 10% on the original price. All buttoned up within a week, job done.