• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar DB add-on tickets - break of journey OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
Have got a Cologne - London with the "any DB service" between cologne and Brussels. This allows you to travel on any ICE on the day of the ticket.

Does anyone know if there's likely to be a problem with breaking that journey, say at Aachen, for a couple of hours and getting back on the next ICE?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There is a general prohibition on BOJ in Eurostar Conditions of Carriage.

Whether DB would enforce this on their services I don't know, but I would expect more than one ticket check on the journey. What exactly is the wording on the ticket relating to the ICE journey?

Bear in mind that you will have a 4 hour wait in Aachen if you try it!

BRX

Established Member
"This ticket allows you to travel on any of the trains below"

It then lists the three daily ICE trains.

So, nothing specifically allowing or prohibiting a BOJ.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Suggestion: book it till a minor station In K"oln that you would have to change in Aachen anyway into the RE-half hourly local ''express''. Less comfort, but more experience. On these N=Nahverkehr trains you can break/stop as often as you like on the day.

Veteran Member
Suggestion: book it till a minor station In K"oln that you would have to change in Aachen anyway into the RE-half hourly local ''express''. Less comfort, but more experience. On these N=Nahverkehr trains you can break/stop as often as you like on the day.

Sorry, but the OP is talking about the tickets available from ES which are only issued to Aachen, Köln Hbf, and a handful of other destinations but are valid on ANY ICE from/to Brussels on the same day as the ES.

BRX

Established Member
I made the journey today.

Got on the first ICE, and asked while my ticket was being checked. He didn't seem to know. Looked at my ticket for a while and said it was probably OK but he wasn't sure.

Got off in Aachen, then got back on the next ICE 4 hours later. My ticket wasn't checked at all on that journey, so no definitive answer! I did get the impression the DB staff aren't too bothered, really.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry, but the OP is talking about the tickets available from ES which are only issued to Aachen, Köln Hbf, and a handful of other destinations but are valid on ANY ICE from/to Brussels on the same day as the ES.

That's right. Raises another question though, which I've wondered about previously. If, say, you book to Dusseldorf, are you *only* allowed to go on ICE trains between there and Cologne, or on any DB train? I think the ticket says "ICE" but it seems counterintuitive that you would be allowed to use the "premium" service but not local or IC trains.

Veteran Member
I agree that DB Fernverkehr staff are unlikely to be worried UNLESS you try using a ticket that is "booked train only" without permission.
I'd be a bit more cautious, oddly enough, about an S-Bahn where the only checks are random and lead to a penalty fare. For the UK equivalent, see Disputes and Prosecutions!

Status
Not open for further replies.