• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar passenger numbers rise (25.2% rise in sales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Channel Tunnel rail operator Eurostar has reported a 25.2% rise in sales for the first three months of 2008.

The high-speed passenger train service, linking Britain to mainland Europe, said sales rose to £178.4m ($352.4m), as passenger numbers increased by 21%.

It carried 2.17 million passengers from January to March, after seeing record passenger numbers during 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7345813.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
I'm sure the faster journey is in no small way a contributing factor here. It's lilkely to be cheaper and faster now by Eurostar, given that the main low-cost hubs (Luton, Gatwick and Stansted) are considerably further from the centre of London than St. P Intl. if LGV Picardie goes ahead, of course, it could nearly eradicate the market for London-Paris flights!

Great to hear, however, that they're doing so well. I'm surprised to hear that tickets from the rest of the UK have increased, given that Glasgow in particular is seeing more flights to Paris which will be both cheaper and faster than the change in London. (Although, I'm sure that the 6-nations, as mentioned, helped that a lot!). Long may this trend continue: Vive l'Eurostar!

Nym

Established Member
Das HouB de Frou!

I wanna have DB use their EWS paths to run sleeperage trains to deutchland, or just run some reigonal Eurostar services, give EuroStar some REAL competition then see what happens to their prices...!

Status
Not open for further replies.