Ex LNER Mark 4 sets for TfW

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've misunderstood the pricing then

That's probably where I'm getting the '£20' figure from - the minimum to make use of the dining facilities?

I seem to recall that if travelling a shorter distance its possible to obtain lighter options in the morning, or selected courses in the evening (I have a recollection of a story of someone having a starter and a dessert for instance).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
I seem to recall that if travelling a shorter distance its possible to obtain lighter options in the morning, or selected courses in the evening (I have a recollection of a story of someone having a starter and a dessert for instance).
You can get a full meal for less than £20, there are cheaper station pairings that give time for a full meal if you look hard enough for them.

DorkingMain

But how is the ORR's prefered auto-SDO (potentially relying on GPS that is not 100% accurate depending on whether a GPS-based or balise-based system is used) safer than a guard pressing a button to unlock only the doors ahead/behind the local panel instead of all doors (as I am led to believe it was done on GWR HSTs - in fact is it still done this way on the GWR Pembroke Dock services?)? I can understand the ORR not allowing unlocking of all doors at a short platform and relying on passengers to check there is a platform; obvious saftey risk there. But with SDO there I cannot see the risk.
Manual SDO errors are unfortunately much more common than ASDO technical failures. It relies on the guard remembering to be in the right place and activate it.

When I worked with a balise based ASDO system, if it didn't receive a signal it would simply open in "default" condition - defined by the platform length of the shortest platform served by that type of train. In the case of Class 444s for example that was 3 coaches for Beaulieu Road. I don't know if the same applies to GPS based systems.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As in - you could have the full lot but could request smaller meals if short on time etc?

craigybagel

Established Member
Having just had a look through BR Fares there are no Business class upgrade fares available for shorter journeys. They are only available for travel between stations from Holyhead - Shrewsbury to stations from Abergavenny to Cardiff, or vice versa. In many cases (especially along the North Wales coast) you could use first class tickets to get the same benefit but that would not be a cheap option - would you want to pay for that and feel like you need to rush your meal?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Having just had a look through BR Fares there are no Business class upgrade fares available for shorter journeys. They are only available for travel between stations from Holyhead - Shrewsbury to stations from Abergavenny to Cardiff, or vice versa. In many cases (especially along the North Wales coast) you could use first class tickets to get the same benefit but that would not be a cheap option - would you want to pay for that and feel like you need to rush your meal?

Moved reply to a speculative thread:

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Manual SDO errors are unfortunately much more common than ASDO technical failures. It relies on the guard remembering to be in the right place and activate it.

When I worked with a balise based ASDO system, if it didn't receive a signal it would simply open in "default" condition - defined by the platform length of the shortest platform served by that type of train. In the case of Class 444s for example that was 3 coaches for Beaulieu Road. I don't know if the same applies to GPS based systems.
Presumably now that announcements of the next stop are mandatory as part of the PRM regulations the annoucement will remind the guard to be in the right place? Admittedly there is potential for human error there which is not present with a balise-based ASDO system but in my experience of GPS the potential for an error is much greater with GPS than I would expect from a well-trained guard. Of course the rail industry probably doesn't use the sort of GPS I was using on my university project (I was tracking bus services and wrote a software application that tried to provide punctuality statistics for said services); whenever the bus was stationary the GPS trace would wander many metres from the actual location and cause my software to think the bus had departed early, but I've never seen sufficient detail of GPS-based ASDO systems to know whether they are likely to suffer from the same issue.

In other words, based on my experience of GPS, I would be more inclined to trust the guard than GPS-based ASDO, but balise-based ASDO would probably be the safest of the three systems.

wobman

On Moderation
Presumably now that announcements of the next stop are mandatory as part of the PRM regulations the annoucement will remind the guard to be in the right place? Admittedly there is potential for human error there which is not present with a balise-based ASDO system but in my experience of GPS the potential for an error is much greater with GPS than I would expect from a well-trained guard. Of course the rail industry probably doesn't use the sort of GPS I was using on my university project (I was tracking bus services and wrote a software application that tried to provide punctuality statistics for said services); whenever the bus was stationary the GPS trace would wander many metres from the actual location and cause my software to think the bus had departed early, but I've never seen sufficient detail of GPS-based ASDO systems to know whether they are likely to suffer from the same issue.

In other words, based on my experience of GPS, I would be more inclined to trust the guard than GPS-based ASDO, but balise-based ASDO would probably be the safest of the three systems.
Isn't GPS only accurate to something like 3 metres unless you have the military spec upgraded system ?? I'm sure it was on a technology program

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Isn't GPS only accurate to something like 3 metres unless you have the military spec upgraded system ?? I'm sure it was on a technology program

No civilian and military GPS are both as accurate as each other. GPS satellites broadcast on two different frequencies so the difference in accuracy creeps in because many civilian applications (such as smart phones) only have the capability of receiving one frequency whilst military (or professional civilian kit) will receive both giving the ability to be accurate to a few centimetres rather than a few meters (which is what your smartphone will manage). What is done is the there are speed (1,900kmh or 1,200mph) and altitude (18,000m or 59,000ft) limits fitted to civilian equipment to prevent them being used as guidance in things like long range missiles.

In the very very early days of civilian access to GPS they did deliberately make it so that they were less accurate than the military equivalent but that ended back in 2000 once it was clear what the potential benefits were of making extremely accurate navigation equipment available to everyone were.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know what vehicles TfW have currently leased (so ignoring any they may or may not be getting from GC)?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As in, 1 or 2 courses or a bespoke breakfast sandwich.
Not bad for the distance

Does anyone know what vehicles TfW have currently leased (so ignoring any they may or may not be getting from GC)?
There's a list in this thread: