• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Explore Cambrian Coast Day Ranger - Confusing Time Restrictions

Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it using a search of the forum.

Is anyone able to confirm the definitive time restrictions on the Explore Cambrian Coast Day Ranger ticket? Different sources give different info about the time from which it is valid.

On the TfW page it states:
You can use it for the whole day from 09:29 Monday to Friday
But further down the same page it contradicts itself and states:
Valid for travel after 09:30 Monday to Friday

The GB Rail Rover Guide states:
Mon to Fri: valid from 09:30
But also links to Restriction B2 on the National Rail site that states:
Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 09:15.

The National Rail page for the rover states:
Valid for travel from 09:30 Monday to Friday
Though this page seems out of date as it's quoting a lower price than the other two.

So which is it? 0915, 0929 or 0930?!

This isn't a hypothetical question. There are trains departing Tywyn northbound at 0929 and southbound at 0927, so I would like to know if the ranger is valid on either on these, or if I'd also need a single to Tonfanau/Aberdovey (where the calls are both at 0933, so it'd be unquestionably valid!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking at the various sites, I'd say that the product is intended to be valid at or after 0930 (Mon-Fri) so, unless there are any local easements, a one stop single ticket is likely to be needed if starting at Tywyn just before 0930.

Thanks, I'd just found that page myself too, and was inclined to agree with the 0930 interpretation.
However, it's really not helpful when even the TOC can't get it consistent on its own page!

Arguably, that public info on the official TfW site could be construed as authorisation to use it from 0929, but wouldn't want to get into an argument with the conductor over a couple of quid fare!

kieron

Established Member
If an official industry web site says it's valid from 9:29, then it's valid on a 9:29 train. The TfW page is inconsistent, but there's nothing on it to indicate that either version of the time restriction takes precedent over the other. railrover.org isn't an official site, so you can't rely on something on it in the same way.

TfW have now replied to me to confirm that the 9:30 start time is the correct one and they are going to fix the inconsistency in their web page.

I've been informed that this ticket is valid for travel from 9:30 in the morning ^Holly

Th teams have let us know what the webpages will be updated shortly to reflect this ^Gwen

Personally I think it's a bit daft having a blanket time based restriction on the rover rather than basing it on the time the train leaves Pwllheli/Machynlleth/Aberystwyth, but I'm guessing it may be to do with when the trains get busy with schoolchildren.

In the end it was academic. For our group size, even with railcards, it was cheaper and more convenient to drive than to let the train take the strain!