• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Face mask poll

Will you wear masks in shops or public transport?

• Yes

• No

• No - I will claim exemption

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Remember Martin Niemöller I am not pseudo-moralistic at all.
I am sure people will get sick of this but I feel obliged to call people out who compare the current situation with Nazi Germany. It is reprehensible to use that colossal human tragedy in this way, and you diminish yourself and your cause.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is obvious from peoples' votes that there is approx 60% in favour (how many of these are "I won't rock the boat" people is not clear I presume a good few are).
Hardly anyone is actually in favour; most people just want an easy life and I don't think we can criticise that.

Those who call for this crap are not people I want to have anything to do with, but you can't blame ordinary people for following what they have been told to do.

John Luxton

Established Member
Hardly anyone is actually in favour; most people just want an easy life and I don't think we can criticise that.

Those who call for this crap are not people I want to have anything to do with, but you can't blame ordinary people for following what they have been told to do.

I understand that to a certain extent but you don't solve a problem by failing to do something about it.

NeilCr

I'd personally be massively wary about using this poll as an indicator of the views of the great British public. I post on a number of forums (including a pretty right wing leaning football one) and this one is definitely an outlier in terms of views on the latest restrictions and Covid in general. It doesn't really tally with how my social, circle think/act either

Having said that we all tend to gravitate towards those with similar views/ideas etc as us so others here will have different experiences and will hear opinions that align with theirs.

I'd definitely agree about invoking Niemoller, though. It's OTT and not in the real world and may have the opposite effect to that desired.

Yew

Established Member
Interesting. So if someone tests positive for Coronavirus or has symptoms, especially if unvaccinated, should they disregard rules and just go to the pub and hug their friends?
You might want to change your wording.
It's how it's always worked for the other coronaviruses in human circulation, and for flu.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd personally be massively wary about using this poll as an indicator of the views of the great British public. I post on a number of forums (including a pretty right wing leaning football one) and this one is definitely an outlier in terms of views on the latest restrictions and Covid in general. It doesn't really tally with how my social, circle think/act either

Having said that we all tend to gravitate towards those with similar views/ideas etc as us so others here will have different experiences and will hear opinions that align with theirs.

I'd definitely agree about invoking Niemoller, though. It's OTT and not in the real world and may have the opposite effect to that desired.

Yet this doesn't explain London Underground, where compliance has been around 50% right through from July to now, in fact as time has gone on it's probably a bit below 50% now. This is an example of what people are actually *doing*, in particular when they don't have to worry about threat of a fine or of being the odd one out.

NeilCr

Indeed

But I was talking about how people are reacting to the introduction of the new restrictions - not what has happened between July and now

Somebody on another thread has, I believe, commented already on an increase of mask wearing in their local Sainsburys. Unless I am imagining it or the wine has already kicked in!

I have worn a mask very rarely over the summer but will do on my local busses now. I know my partner will, as well, plus some of my friends.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I understand that to a certain extent but you don't solve a problem by failing to do something about it.
I don't think the problem can be solved, sadly.
Yet this doesn't explain London Underground, where compliance has been around 50% right through from July to now, in fact as time has gone on it's probably a bit below 50% now. This is an example of what people are actually *doing*, in particular when they don't have to worry about threat of a fine or of being the odd one out.
People may say they want others to be restricted or they may say they want to adhere to restrictions but as you say, vwhat they actually do is not always the same thing;)

Somebody on another thread has, I believe, commented already on an increase of mask wearing in their local Sainsburys. Unless I am imagining it or the wine has already kicked in!
Probably because they think the rules already changed or they think there is some expectation upon them. It's not because people think it will actually achieve anything or because they want to.
I have worn a mask very rarely over the summer but will do on my local busses now. I know my partner will, as well, plus some of my friends.
Again it's because they probably feel compelled to do so, and one one friend says they will comply, others are likely to be reluctant to go against that.

bramling

Veteran Member
Indeed

But I was talking about how people are reacting to the introduction of the new restrictions - not what has happened between July and now

It *may* be the case that Boris’s announcement has been interpreted by some as masks becoming mandatory with immediate effect, which of course isn’t quite the case.

Indeed, it’s surprising (given the claimed urgency of the situation) that he didn’t make a specific point of *asking* people to start wearing them straight away, even if not mandated yet. Or does Covid 4.0 have a built-in timer that doesn’t start working until Tuesday?

I do think the LU case is quite significant though. Several months, with quite a bit of pressure from the mayor, a fair amount of publicity from TfL including the threat of enforcement officers (but not fines), yet things have been pretty consistent over a 4-month period. I’d say that’s more valuable than any opinion poll.

Lampshade

Established Member
I never stopped wearing one, it just became “keys, wallet, phone, mask”, so just business as usual.

big_rig

I wonder what will happen to ridership over the next few weeks. I imagine it will go down given the message from the Government is that buses and trains are dangerous places where personal protection equipment (which cloth are not but never mind) is required.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder what will happen to ridership over the next few weeks. I imagine it will go down given the message from the Government is that buses and trains are dangerous places where personal protection equipment (which cloth are not but never mind) is required.
It's difficult to say.

I'd like to see both a reduction in usage as well as a lot of people going unmasked / self certifying exemptions to put pressure on the Government but I'm not getting my hopes up too much...

NeilCr

Hmm

i don't seem to be able to quote posts

Anyways. Yorkie and bramling. My point about Sainsburys is that- whether or not they think that it's been introduced already it gives an indication that people might well comply with the new restrictions - however they have acted up until now

And you can put your own interpretations on why you think they will do so. It likely suits your pov that it's because they feel compelled - and that may be so in some cases - but just quickly scanning this thread there are a variety of reasons. I've already posted mine so won't repeat them again.

ASharpe

I begrudgingly wore one the last time there were restrictions, although I might have not always followed the one way system at Leeds station.

Since then I was given one and put it on for my second covid jab (I wasn't fully vaccinated at the time) and when I took my daughter for the flu vaccine spray recently just to make that go as smooth as it could.

I haven't worn one for my flu jab, to the dentist, veterinary (If the dog's allowed to lick them I'm not wearing a mask) and blood donations.

I certainly won't be wearing one on trains or in shops again.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hmm

i don't seem to be able to quote posts

Anyways. Yorkie and bramling. My point about Sainsburys is that- whether or not they think that it's been introduced already it gives an indication that people might well comply with the new restrictions - however they have acted up until now

And you can put your own interpretations on why you think they will do so. It likely suits your pov that it's because they feel compelled - and that may be so in some cases - but just quickly scanning this thread there are a variety of reasons. I've already posted mine so won't repeat them again.

I’m not sure how else we explain it.

If people are suddenly fearful of the new strain then perhaps one might expect to have seen people avoiding crowded spaces today - shopping centres, public transport, hospitality, et cetera. Has anyone seen any evidence of this?

Of similar significance is the way few were wearing masks in shops before they became mandatory last summer. Again, this is of interest as if a critical mass of people were genuinely convinced as to their value then we would have seen more people wearing them voluntarily.

It’s also worth adding that BJ has continued to “expect” masks in crowded spaces over the last four months. Some have done so, many haven’t.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Time please ladies and gentlemen!
We’ll look at revisiting the mask discussion as and when things change. For now though it’s for the best if we don’t go around in circles with this anymore.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.