• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy thread: What would you do if money was no object...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Matlock-Buxton is a good proposal, not only does it allow MML services on to Manchester, allows Nottingham & Sheffield-Manchester services to be separated, with Nottingham-Liverpool & Sheffield-Liverpool via Piccadilly and Stockport, maintaining a fast Piccadilly-Liverpool service even after TPE has moved to Victoria

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Long Term Gauge enhancement to allow proper sized stock with as much electrification as possible! - Tilt upgrades where possible (combined with gauge enhancement to avoid Tilt Profile)

It may be stupid (especially given our platforms are the biggest issue as they impinge on UIC stock) but I think long term benefits - double deck/spacium on metro routes or even intercity, containers, rolling highway would be worth while

Butts

Veteran Member
Reopen the old North British Railway Line between Queensferry and Edinburgh and Glasgow with a Station at Kirkliston so I can get to work without driving or getting the bus.

As Kirkliston Station closed to passenger traffic in 1930 and freight in 1966 and is now partly a cycle track theres not much chance.

Even a Branch Line from Linlithgow to Kirkliston would suffice:p

Nonsense

Money no object. Street running sections and tram-trains to bring towns like Garstang to the network.

Reopen the woodhead, and Doncaster-Barnsley too.

eastdyke

Established Member
Rebuild Melton Constable and connect the Aylsham/Holt and Norwich/Fakenham routes with return loops.

A real Muddle and Get Nowhere railway.

billio

If money were no object I would build a high-speed line from one side of the Pennines to the other. It should be possible to get from Liverpool to Leeds in under an hour. Around this line should be normal, connected lines that allow 125mph running to other places such as Bolton, Preston, Chester, Hull, Sheffield, Bradford, Doncaster, York.

Kirkby Stephen to Barnard Castle including replica bridges at Belah and Deepdale and a rebuild of Bowes station before it disapears altogether! They are working hard at Kirkby Stephen East so it would be nice to help them realise their dream.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Thinking about it I too would rebuild an identical copy of Belah Viaduct, which, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the most impressive rail non-station structures ever built in the British Isles, it's up there with the Forth Rail Bridge and similar.

(For anyone wondering, this is Belah Viaduct)

-HarleyD-

I would re-open the DNS from Didcot to Newbury and then on to Basingstoke (SWT have the route from BSK to SOU taken care of already). I would work it as a heritage line but also ensure the infrastucture was robust enough that it could be used for freight diversions during the night especially when there are engineering works at bottlenecks like Reading.

From a passenger point of view I live on the route and my reasons are purely selfish. If I want to go to Basingstoke or Didcot by train I have to travel to Newbury and then change at Reading. Frankly its quicker to drive and cheaper too. Being able to walk to the station and go direct would suit me perfectly :D

mattyb1405

Rebuild Melton Constable and connect the Aylsham/Holt and Norwich/Fakenham routes with return loops.

A real Muddle and Get Nowhere railway.

Liking the idea of the Norwich - Fakenham bit but would love it to get to the coast at Wells Next The Sea !!!!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My 'money no object' idea I think isn't totally outside the realms of possibility but is still incredibly unlikely unless money did, indeed, grown on trees. I would electrify Saltburn to Bishop Auckland (via Middlesbrough and Darlington), Middlesbrough to Northallerton, Nunthorpe to Newcastle and Newcastle to Carlisle. For the Sunderland to Newcastle section I'd be wiring at 25kV AC as far as the start of the Metro and then continue with 1,500v DC until the Metro wiring runs out (not sure where that is) and then continue on to Newcastle at 25kV AC.

Further infrastructure work would include linespeed increases. Nothing too substantial but basically trying to bump them up a bit. So 75mph limits become perhaps 85mph and 40mph becomes 50mph and so on.

Rolling stock wise I'd be looking at something along the lines of the Desrio City or Bombardiers Aventra. But in general terms I'd be looking for 3-car units with 100mph top speed, 2+2 seating in a fairly high density layout but with some tables (say four per carriage), 1/3 2/3 door placement, through gangways, and most importantly dual voltage capability.

In terms of services, standard pattern (with clockface departures) would be 1tph Saltburn to Darlington, 1tph Saltburn to Bishop Auckland (giving 2tph Saltburn to Darlington). 1tph Nunthorpe to Carlisle (via Newcastle) calling all stations, 1tph Middlesbrough Carlisle calling Thornaby, Hartlepool, Sunderland, Newcastle, Metro Centre, Hexam and Carlisle. I would also try to make Newcastle to Chathill hourly throughout the week but that would depend on there being paths for it on the ECML.

Of course the one problem is that this leaves Whitby as being something of a diesel island but we'll just have to live with that. The biggest change here would be I'd want to move to a two hourly service every day of the week using 3-car DMUs. I'd like something like a 158 to run the service but 4-car 156s would also be good I think. I'd also look to introduce a trolley on this service, but perhaps only during summer.

route:oxford

Established Member
Money no object...

Fund the extension of the Strathspey Railway to Granton-On-Spey...

Then further fund an all new-build loop to take the service beyond GoS and back across the Spey to the formation of the Nethy Bridge route, back through Nethy Bridge and back to Aviemore.

Finally fund a pair of 2-car 172s in a faux-heritage Caledonian Railway style and livery to provide off-season timetabled services for local people.

biggus

If money were no object I would modernise the railway along the entire South Coast at least as far west as Southampton and at least as far east as Ashford to enable intercity style services as well as express commuter services.

Obviously signalling and track would have to be updgraded throughout to allow a decent linespeed.

Some kind of hybrid third rail DC/diesel express traction would be nice assuming 25kV electrification never happens on the rest of Southern which would share the tracks - or could third rail and OLE coexist?

Hastings to Ashford would have to be electrified in some form in any case.

I suspect twin track would continue to be adequate between Brighton and Ashford, though some decent length passing loops and additional platforms at intermediate stations would be needed. It would be nice to do away with some of the lesser-used stops.

The Willingdon Chord at Eastbourne would have to be reinstated unless someone comes up with a speedy way to get trains in and out of Eastbourne.

Brighton station does not seem well equipped to accommodate express east-west capacity. It would be necessary to build a new grade-separated set of East-West tracks and platforms over/under Brighton station or the station throat. Getting grade separation on the approaches would be tricky. The viaduct from the Lewes line is setup to put trains into the station mouth, not across it. However, whether you went up and over the station throat or down and under the station itself, there seems to be room to continue to the west with new tunnels through the chalk, rejoining the existing formation before Hove.

From Brighton westwards the local stations come thick and fast. Luckily the right of way is generous here, and it looks like there is ample room for 4-tracking. Several of these well maintained but uninteresting stations would have to be rebuilt to accommodate a pair of through express lines.

There are a dozen or so level crossings between Hove and Ford. Surprisingly, an aerial view on Google maps suggests that demolition and replacement of the stations and one or two lesser commercial buildings would allow most of them to be dealt with by road over rail bridges. Portslade might be tricky, but in the worst, most expensive case the railway could always be elevated here to cross the road.

If capacity dictated four tracking all the way to Ford, then of course a new viaduct alongside the existing one at Shoreham would be needed. Getting quickly over Arundel Junction would suggest grade separation and maybe some clever realignment.

West of Ford my recollection of the line and how it is used are hazier still, but there might be a case to put passing loops in at the stations rather than fourtracking throughout, as I get the impression that the line is relatively quiet until you get to Portsmouth and Southampton when it probably all gets a bit tricky again.

So what would it cost? Would 5 billion do it?

For that you get 130 miles of 125mph capable double track railway integrated with the local stopping service to offer both intercity and express commuter services along a route that is currently painfully slow and relatively underused. You would be serving a very densely populated corridor, surrounded by a sensitive landscape where people currently struggle with horribly overcrowded and badly planned roads. You would be connecting the channel tunnel with the cities of Southampton, Portsmouth and Brighton, not to mention the likes of Hastings, Worthing and Chichester, and less directly Eastbourne.

Historically, it seems that the South Coast has never been economically integrated with itself, being made up of ports and holiday resorts, both of which were built with transport infrastructure designed to reach London and other inland destinations. Yet the reality of employment, education, healthcare, etc means that the there is plenty of need for people living on the south coast to travel to other places on the south coast, sometimes over considerable distances.

Would there be any case for freight? Gauge clearance work would not seem too far out of scope. Of course there are ports all along the route which might produce a role for rail transhipment to consolidate goods from different ports for onward shipping....?

Of course, why stop at Southampton.... why not continue all the way west? The distances involved are considerable, England is as wide at this point as it is tall.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
if you were spending all that money, and wanted to go west, the sensible route would be to go through, through Romsey and on to Salisbury, there to meet with the line from Basingstoke to Exeter, that could once more truly become worthy of the title "South West Mainline"

Status
Not open for further replies.