• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ffestiniog Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has done this route recently, and if you can reach all stations in a day (whilst still having a walk at some stops)
I will start near Chester.

Route and Timetable suggestions welcome as I know some routes will be limited service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'd certainly be interested in any recommendations for this, and whether the itinerary would probably work better in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. Doubt you could conveniently do all the stations, though, unless you wanted a really, really long day.

WAB

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has done this route recently, and if you can reach all stations in a day (whilst still having a walk at some stops)
I will start near Chester.

Route and Timetable suggestions welcome as I know some routes will be limited service

Depends how often you're planning on getting out for a walk. If you're trying to fit a lot in, I'd suggest starting from Porthmadog as the first departure is earlier from that end of the line. Be aware that you can only turn up and go (subject to space) on a limited number of services, the timetable for which I have appended below. Also worth checking that your train is going to run a few days before travel.

1692456879651.png

dk1

Veteran Member
Did that on a priv a few years ago when staying in Llandudno. Terrific value at a tenner & enjoyed the Welsh lager on the WHR.

Pacef8

Can this be done with a 2 for 1 railcard and get 30% off the 45 pound price per person ?

bspahh

Established Member
Can this be done with a 2 for 1 railcard and get 30% off the 45 pound price per person ?

Yes, but only after 9.30am. railrover.org says that you can use it with a 16-25, 26-30 Senior, Disabled, Two Together and Veteran's railcard. The time restriction with the Two Together railcard is from the railcard itself.

Last edited:

Pacef8

Thanks for that . No restrictions on a saturday but you may run into problems getting to Ffestiniog from portmadog.

Russel

Established Member
What would the family and freinds railcard price be for the Ffestiniog Round Robin ticket for 1 adult and a child?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That makes no sense what so ever.
That's as may be. 16-25 railcard, disabled persons railcard, senior railcard and two together railcard are however, all valid, the last one at or after 0930 (M-F). Believe that 26-30 railcard discount may also be valid.

A "family group" Ffestiniog Round Robin ticket (up to 2 adults + 2 children) is however available, priced at slightly less than two individual adult tickets.

Veteran Member
That makes no sense what so ever.
My first thought was that the Ffestiniog probably think otherwise - the same applies to the N Wales Day Rover in which they also participate - but in fact all the Welsh tickets are the same, so it must be TfW policy.
I wonder if it is related to the significant bus element therefore.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, is every other major railcard valid except F&F?
Appears so, although the pricing structure for the 'Ffestiniog Round Robin' product does already allow for an element of discount for a small group travelling together (without the need for those persons to actually have a Family and Friends railcard).

Woolos 22

As it free travel for under 16 accompanied by a adult on tfw trains and it is only £2 return on the Ffestiniog railway cold that be a cheap way to do it

mangyiscute

Established Member
Does anyone know if you can/have to pre book the ffestiniog train? I am thinking of doing it on bank holiday monday, but I'm worried the train could be very busy

Krokodil

Established Member
As it free travel for under 16 accompanied by a adult on tfw trains and it is only £2 return on the Ffestiniog railway cold that be a cheap way to do it
Cheaper to buy the family ticket

Does anyone know if you can/have to pre book the ffestiniog train? I am thinking of doing it on bank holiday monday, but I'm worried the train could be very busy
A carriage is set aside for walk-up passengers.

mangyiscute

Established Member
So you can just walk up and get on the train, as though it's a normal service, and then when they check tickets show them the round robin ticket? If so, that's very cool - just a shame they seem to try and "hide" this ticket

SeanG

Established Member
I did this in 2019 from Manchester no problem.
Managed to do Manchester - Llandudno Junction - Blaenau Ffestiniog - Porthmadog. Lunch stop at the excellent station café. Then Porthmadog - Pwhelli - Machynllethh - Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury - Crewe - Manchester.
Was a long day but a good day.
I wen to buy tickets on the train at both Porthmadog (return to Pwhelli) and then at Machynllethh (return to Aberystwyth) and both times the guard reckoned my round robin was valid for the journeys.

Taunton

Established Member
Be aware that you can only turn up and go (subject to space) on a limited number of services, the timetable for which I have appended below. Also worth checking that your train is going to run a few days before travel.
Used to be most just bought tickets for the next train. Is this that they have hugely increased demand, they have reduced services, or the marketing department want to concentrate on advance bookers only and squeeze out people deciding on the day.

Snowdon certainly seems to have reduced trains, especially duplicates, and I've been turned away on the day every time. It's surprising, as the fares for ticket office bookers seem higher than what they get from booked coach trips etc doing combined arrangements.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I did it from Hooton a few years back when it was called a "Snowdonia circular". I remember having to find out the fare code in advance of visiting the ticket office, just to be sure, as the ticket had almost been forgotten.

Limited services meant the full circle was only really feasible on Saturdays in August - and in an anti-clockwise direction.

You weren't allowed to double back at any point in those days, but the kind people on the Ffestiniog did let me travel back for free from Porthmadog to Minffordd to save me a long walk across Porthmadog. It was prudent to tell the guard I wanted to alight at Minffordd as not many people get off there. The Minffordd - Porthmadog section is not to be missed.

Many, many years ago, I also managed to fit in a return trip on the Fairbourne railway. Taking the ferry back to Barmouth would be another option which would require an additional Barmouth - Fairbourne ticket.

I'm not sure whether a trip on the Tal-y-Llyn would be feasible. But obviously you can't do everything in the time available.

Once upon a time you could get a very cheap day return from Chester to Porthmadog via the Ffestiniog railway. These were difficult to find on ticket machines (or brfares.com) as the destination had to be entered as

MINFF/PTHMDG FR

or, failing that, H074.

Through single and return tickets are still available from Rhyl, Llandudno, Holyhead and Bangor, but not from Chester or Wrexham.

Krokodil

Established Member
So you can just walk up and get on the train, as though it's a normal service, and then when they check tickets show them the round robin ticket? If so, that's very cool - just a shame they seem to try and "hide" this ticket
The carriage set aside for walk-up passengers may be obviously signed but if not just ask the guard where to sit.

Advertising for the ability to connect at Blaenau has been lacking for many years. It used to be included as part of the National Rail timetable and hence would appear in journey planners but whoever it was in a TOC's train planning department who got that done in his spare time retired and no one took it up. Now the connections don't line up at all.

Snowdon certainly seems to have reduced trains, especially duplicates, and I've been turned away on the day every time.
They replaced their aging coaches about 10 years ago. They had eight coaches (matched by eight serviceable locos, four diesel and steam nos 2/3/4/6) and replaced them with four newbuild coaches for use with diesel trains and a new body on the underframe of Lancaster carriage 2 for steam trains. Later a second 'heritage' carriage body was built on the underframe of Lancaster carriage 5. So you now have six carriages where you used to have eight, and two of those are lower seating density than the old ones.

Even in the old days, many prospective passengers were turned away, a manager would go counting down the morning queue at the booking office (before pre-booking was a thing), and turn away anyone past the point at which they had no chance of a train that day.

WAB

Used to be most just bought tickets for the next train. Is this that they have hugely increased demand, they have reduced services, or the marketing department want to concentrate on advance bookers only and squeeze out people deciding on the day.

Snowdon certainly seems to have reduced trains, especially duplicates, and I've been turned away on the day every time. It's surprising, as the fares for ticket office bookers seem higher than what they get from booked coach trips etc doing combined arrangements.
They are trying to match service provision very closely to the level of demand. Some trains are only opened for booking if a certain level of bookings are received for other trains on the day. In general, there are far fewer services offered - Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog sees a maximum of three return trips per day compared to eight on the busiest days in 2019. Coal and maintaining a 40-mile railway are not cheap...

Last edited:

Pacef8

If anyone has any questions i can ask at the ticket office on Saturday as we are out that way over the weekend . A walk up availability is the first on my mind .
Hi just came from the main station got a round robin when is the next train to Ffestiniog please and does it connect to llandudno on time please?

mangyiscute

Established Member
The plan I have involves the 14:10 departure from Porthmadog, so I'll have over an hour to connect from the main Porthmadog station, and about 2 hours in Blaenau as well. I think my only issue is the potential for the train to be full - if you could find out whether pre booking is possible that would be appreciated. I feel like I recall seeing somewhere that you could call them and get a reservation, but perhaps im making that up

alex17595

I emailed the FR a few months back and they said to email them for a reservation.

Also if anyone's planning to do one, there's no trains as barmouth Bridge is shut from 2nd Sept to December.

Status
Not open for further replies.