• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Station Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustard2

Hi all ,I've just completed a face to face interview with a manager for the position of station assistant with FGW and have been informed over the phone that I've been successful dependent on a drugs and alcohol test and satisfactory references.
Just wondering if anybody knows how long the process takes of getting dates for drugs and alcohol test and references takes ?
I started the whole process of online application ,tests on February 24th 2014 had telephone interview and finally face to face interview on the 25/3/14 .

Many thanks in advance .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Shouldnt be too long really, couple of weeks tops depending on your location and TOC and how busy the medicentre is

Mustard2

Hi all just had my face to face interview with a manager at FGW 3 days ago and was informed 2hours after the interview that he'd like to offer me the job provisionally dependent on drugs and alcohol test and reference check .
I was wondering how long FGW HR dept take to organise dugs and alcohol tests and reference checks ?
Many thanks in advance.

Mustard2

Many thanks clip it's with FGW ,do you know if they notify via email or letter, ? Though I don't suppose it really matters I'll just sit tight and check have a great weekend .

Kind regards

Mustard2

Clip

Established Member
I have no idea, maybe both. The main thing is is that this is your last hurdle to join the railway and I wish you all th best of luck with your career.

MyFriendMary

Mine was both email and a letter with directions etc and was about a month afterwards.

Curiously, which station? :-P

Mustard2

Thank you clip.
And to myfriendmary.
Thanks for your information and it's Southall station.

All the best to you both.

Mustard2
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to clip andmyfriendmary for your replies after having my face to face interview on the 25/3/14 and getting a call from the manager 2 hours later saying I'd been successful,I've still heard nothing back from the HR department at FGW am wondering is the normal state of affairs and exactly what will happen next.

Kind regards
Mustard2

Mustard2

Firstly apologies for posting about the same subject again but really would like a bit of further information if possible.
I had a face to face interview with a FGW manager on the 25/3/14 two hours later received a call from him informing me I had a successful interview and that I was being offered the job provisionally subject to drugs and alcohol tests and references which is all fine, only I've heard nothing from FGW HR since then is this the normal state of affairs ? and how exactly do they proceed? as in is it references first then drugs and alcohol test also they have not contacted me to supply reference details.
Regards to all.
Mustard2

dapc

Hr are slow, as for drug tests they will book you a appointment and you will receive a email with dates and a location. That's what happened for me. Failing that try and contact someone via a email to HR

Clip

Established Member
If they have offered you the role then congratulations - welcome.

What they will be organising now is stuff like your medical and that will all depend on where the local medi-centre is and what appointments they have.

they will also be setting up your personnel file with all your details on it and that and training schedules and all that malarky. If theres a large intake for a greater area then they will want as many people there as possible so that will be reliant on people leaving present jobs to migrate over.

Its only been a few working days. Give them time to get back to you, no one does things in a hurry.

But once again well done, make you you say hello to flamingo on here as Im sur ehe'll drop you off a coffee through the drop light as he powers through Southall one day ;)

Mustard2

Many thanks to clip and dapc,all the best.
Mustard2
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi all just wanted to say thank you to anybody who gave me advice.
Received a call from FGW today advising me that they will be booking me in for a medical soon, so it looks like things really progressing.
Thanks once again for all your help to the people who replied to my earlier posts.
Mustard2

Clip

Established Member
Good to hear. lets hope you pass that and then youre in!!

Mustard2

Hi all had the D and A on the 14/4/14 so things are moving along albeit a bit slowly.but thank you to everyone who provided information and support.
have a fantastic bank holidays weekends if you're off.
regards
mustard2

Minilad

Established Member
Hi all had the D and A on the 14/4/14 so things are moving along albeit a bit slowly.but thank you to everyone who provided information and support.
regards
mustard2

Now you are on the railway I would make the most of the Bank Holiday weekend off. You might not get many more ;):lol:

Mustard2

Still a little bit to go yet. Before I'm on the railway bank holidays never really been that bother always done shift work so kinda used to it.
application started Feb 24th so whole process kinda slow,but nearly there.
so if you guys are off this weekend, enjoy if yr not commiserations and chin up :).
thanks guys for all info and help.
Mustard2

Clip

Established Member
regards
mustard2

Ahh excellent stuff Mustard2 - and yes recruitment can be terribly slow.

Enjoy your weekend

Mustard2

Hi all received phone call on Friday and have a start date for my induction 12th May .
Thanks for all yr advice and help.
All the best .
Mustard2

Status
Not open for further replies.