• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgotten Railcard Policy

tram21

Hello,

If you forget your railcard on a trip which involves an outward and return Advance leg, are you able to claim back both, or just one of the legs of the journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Hello,

If you forget your railcard on a trip which involves an outward and return Advance leg, are you able to claim back both, or just one of the legs of the journey?
Please clarify!

Did you forget your railcard and buy a non-discounted ticket?

Or did you forget your railcard, buy a ticket with a railcard discount, and were unable to show the railcard to an inspector?

In the first case, I don't think you can claim anything back, it's your mistake in the first place. If that's what you're asking.

EDIT Given that I now see that you are talking about an advance ticket, I'm guessing that you bought this in advance with a railcard discount, and that when you travelled you didn't have your railcard with you. But what exactly then happened and what are you asking for in terms of a "claim back"?

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
If you’ve a railcard discounted ticket, forget your railcard, and then have to buy a new ticket(s) - you may apply to the Customer Services of whichever TOC you purchased the new tickets from. They’ll need to see:
  • Old tickets
  • New tickets
  • Railcard

I believe it is then their discretion as to how many tickets they refund.

You may do this once per calendar year.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think if both journeys are on the same day, it would be reasonable to apply the policy to both legs. If they are on different days, I think you would then have to look for an alternative solution for the return leg such as refunding the ticket and buying an undiscounted ticket or buying another railcard. It's possible that the train company would take a more lenient view in those circumstances but I would recommend asking them before the return leg commences.

tram21

Thanks to everyone for your replies-

My query was due to me leaving my railcard at a friend's house and needing to make a return day trip on Monday and not being able to find a way to retrieve it from them before Monday. However I have now been able to get someone to collect it so everything is good and I can use it on Monday with no problems!