• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forthcoming trip : Carlisle - Glasgow on Scotrail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

Hi !
I'm travelling up to Glasgow in a few weeks and unfortunately, my trip falls during an engineering weekend. It's Virgin trains to Carlisle and then a 2hr 22min journey to Glasgow via Scotrail. I have never had the good fortune to travel on this much slower route which serves local stations and was wondering if there are any good views / junctions / disused stations / signal boxes to look out for en route ?
Full journey :

Dep : 13:12 Carlisle

13:23 Gretna Green
13:31 Annan
13:50 Dumfries
14:16 Sanquhar
14:21 Kirkconnel
14:30 New Cumnock
14:38 Auchinleck
14:57 Kilmarnock
15:01 Kilmaurs
15:06 Stewarton
15:11 Dunlop

Arr : 15:34 Glasgow Central

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The only thing I can remember of interest is the coal yards in New Cumnock. Bear in mind this goes back to January 2011, when I am swear signalboxes were about, but over 4 years later things have probably changed!

Veteran Member
After Auchinleck comes Ballochmyle viaduct, the tallest in the UK and then Mauchline Jn for Ayr (freight). Dumfries and Kilmarnock stations are both nice, and K has the Barclay works (Wabtec now?) sidings after the station. Sit on the left for preference. Lots of other viaducts - use satellite view to get an overview.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not been north of Dumfries for several years, but between Carlisle and Dumfries, there are still some remains of closed stations. Signal boxes at Annan (on left**, just after station) and Dumfries (on right, north end of platform) still existed last Autumn.

(** - as viewed from northbound train, assuming you are facing forwards)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Killie-Barrhead is a pleasant run, especially on a bright day, sitting on the left as you will travel probably offers the best views. Cannot comment for Annan-Killie alas, it's been years since I did that stretch!

Status
Not open for further replies.