• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

France and Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would let you know my thoughts on my rail trip to Spain and France. Thank you to this forum and Seat61. Without this help I would not have made the trip.

I had a fantastic trip and enjoyed every minute. Every train ran to time and everything was so easy. The English announcements on the French trains were a real help. I would recommend every aspect except perhaps the Hotel Carton in Lille. The Train Hotel was a surprisingly enjoyable and we had a good nights sleep too.

We met some lovely people also travelling and a friendly Parisian who helped us with a slight difficulty on the Metro. I cannot imagine we would have enjoyed ourselves so much and met such nice people had we flown.

The only slight downside was it is awful lot of rolling and lifting of luggage. My girlfriend is less mobile so it was often down to me. The French railways do not seem to want to announce platforms until the very last minute which did not help.

We found the Metros in Paris, Barcelona and Marseille very easy to use. Particularly once we worked out the ticket machine did English.

One tip would be to book early. I booked all the trains on the day bookings became available and watched many of the fares steadily rise in the weeks before the trip.

I am beginning to think of next year. Possibly Venice by rail with an Italian cruise added.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Itinerary:

Worcester to Birmingham - London Midland
Birmingham to London – Virgin Trains
London to Paris - Eurostar
Hotel Baltimoore - Paris
Paris to Barcelona – Tain Hotel
Hotel Espana - Barcelona
Royal Clipper (sailing ship) – Barcelona, Palma, Mahon, Monte Carlo, St Tropez & Marseille
Marseille to Lille – TGV
Hotel Carlton - Lille
Lille to London - Eurostar
London to Birmingham – Virgin Trains
Birmingham to Worcester – London Midland

Status
Not open for further replies.