• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTC Railcard - GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATT

Hi,

I had made a journey with a ticket booked with a railcard.

The guard noticed that my railcard was out of date.

This was back in the middle of November, I've recently only found the slip that mentions that I have to send in a valid rail card within a certain time frame.

I've left a VM with the department but wanted to know what else I can do. I can pay the penalty fare but as the tiny slip doesn't have a notice number I'm not sure what more I can do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Did you tell the staff member that you had a valid Railcard but not on your person?

Have you received any other communication from GTR since the incident?

ATT

Did you tell the staff member that you had a valid Railcard but not on your person?

Have you received any other communication from GTR since the incident?

I did tell the staff member I had a valid railcard but realised after the event that I did not.

I haven't received anything as of yet but I understand that I have the option to pay the £20 penalty fine.

This is the only time I've received a penalty fare.

ATT

I'm going to use the rail service again, would it be advisable to purchase a railcard now or just pay the full price fare.

As this is the first time that I've had a Penalty, ideally I just want to put it in the past.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It may already be beyond a Penalty Fare now, as usually these are cancelled for non-payment if you don't pay within a certain amount of time.

Had you not received any other correspondence?

If you're eligible for a Railcard there is no reason not to buy one to be eligible for the discount. But definitely don't try and say "well I've renewed it now", or anything like that. Simply don't mention it unless you're asked about it.

ATT

It may already be beyond a Penalty Fare now, as usually these are cancelled for non-payment if you don't pay within a certain amount of time.

Had you not received any other correspondence?

If you're eligible for a Railcard there is no reason not to buy one to be eligible for the discount. But definitely don't try and say "well I've renewed it now", or anything like that. Simply don't mention it unless you're asked about it.

Thanks.

I've made contact with the prosecution team but if it's past the payment stage, what could happen now?

gray1404

Established Member
What is FTC? Assuming VM is voicemail.

I am a bit confused about what has happened here? Did you receive a penalty fare because your railcard was out of date or did you receive a slip of paper advising you to send in a copy of a valid and in date railcard? You should not have received the latter if your railcard was out of date and you had not renewed it as you would not have been a holder of a valid railcard at the date and time in question.

ATT

What is FTC? Assuming VM is voicemail.

I am a bit confused about what has happened here? Did you receive a penalty fare because your railcard was out of date or did you receive a slip of paper advising you to send in a copy of a valid and in date railcard? You should not have received the latter if your railcard was out of date and you had not renewed it as you would not have been a holder of a valid railcard at the date and time in question.

No, I received a slip to submit my railcard. i thought I had a valid one but this was not the case... i wasn't issued with a penalty fare notice but a tiny slip with a reference and an email to submit within 14 days.

i haven't received no correspondence as of yet.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation. What sort of railcard is it?

They have 6 months to start any legal proceedings. They may not get in touch at all. They may write to you offering a settlement. They may write to you asking for your side of the story. They may write saying they intend on issuing legal proceedings.

Good luck.

ATT

Thanks for the confirmation. What sort of railcard is it?

They have 6 months to start any legal proceedings. They may not get in touch at all. They may write to you offering a settlement. They may write to you asking for your side of the story. They may write saying they intend on issuing legal proceedings.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. it's the 16-25 rail card. I have attempted to make contact and will try again in the coming days.

Sebastian O

Probably just leave it unless they contact you.

Going to be on the back foot regardless if they contact now or towards end of six months - may as well see if they have just forgotten it..

krus_aragon

Established Member
I would personally contact them via their customer services department (don't use the details on the slip of paper) with a copy of the valid railcard and explain the situation to them. They should let you off.
From reading the poster's comments, I don't believe that they actually had a railcard that was valid on the date of travel, only an expired one.

Status
Not open for further replies.