• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick to Southampton help needed

ahearne

Hello

I am going to Southampton in May, I have never been before. I used a split ticket option which was a considerable difference and felt it was beneficial given the cost benefits etc.

I am going on 18 May 2024 and coming back on 24 May 2024.

I have a direct ticket that requires no movement from Gatwick to Southampton however on the 18 May I have noticed that I will need to change at Clapham Junction and I am not sure the quickest way to get from platform to platform. I get anxious very quickly and struggle being deaf. I wondered if anybody could tell me if it is going to be changing from Gatwick to Clapham Junction because there may be engineering works or should I wait till two or three weeks before I go see if it goes back to direct movement which it was originally booked as.? I also wondered if anybody could help me know how quick it will be from Clapham to move to another Platform as looking at it gets of at Platform 5 and I will need ot be at Platform 4 but not sure how far it is to walk for example with a suitcase etc.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@AHERNE. Welcome to the forum. Just to be clear, is it the outward journey (to Southampton Central?) that you'll be changing trains at Clapham Junction? Or the return journey?

ahearne

Hello MCR

Thank you for your reply and things. Sorry if I was not clear enough it would be the outward journey from Clapham Junction to Southampton that is looking like I will need to change.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Most trains from Gatwick Airport to Clapham Junction will usually arrive on platform 12. Onward trains from Clapham Junction to Southampton Central (presumably running via Basingstoke?) will be from platform 9. This will require using the overbridge/underpass at Clapham Junction, but shouldn't be too far, even with a suitcase.

Do you have booked train only advance tickets?

ahearne

Ok thank you will see how this all goes, do you think because there is a requirement to go from Clapham Junction is because there may be engineering works or has the permanent route direct from Gatwick to Southampton has stopped now? I'm thinking look two weeks before I go to see if the direct routes will be way I had booked it. Many thanks

JonathanH

Veteran Member
do you think because there is a requirement to go from Clapham Junction is because there may be engineering works or has the permanent route direct from Gatwick to Southampton has stopped now?
Engineering work shuts the line west of Chichester on Saturday 18 May. The last day of permanent services from Gatwick to Southampton is Saturday 1 June, other than one daily weekday morning service at 0637 from Southampton.

Veteran Member
The last day of permanent services from Gatwick to Southampton is Saturday 1 June, other than one daily weekday morning service at 0637 from Southampton.
For future reference, once the direct service is withdrawn, there will be a half-hourly service with a same-platform change at Barnham (or Chichester or Havant) - except when there are engineering works of course.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
For future reference, once the direct service is withdrawn, there will be a half-hourly service with a same-platform change at Barnham (or Chichester or Havant) - except when there are engineering works of course.
Yes, although it either involves a long wait at Barnham, Chichester or Havant, or using the stopping portion over the Arun Valley. Southampton to Gatwick journeys will be around 25 minutes slower than now.

The timetable has essentially been written to favour Portsmouth to Brighton connections over Southampton to Gatwick ones.