• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

g22

Which is the best route to take from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Are any of them even slightly scenic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The most scenic route is probably via Bathgate & Airdrie. The middle bit is fairly scenic.

Glenmutchkin

I suppose it depends what you consider to be scenic. Some might like the view of Linlithgow Palace seen from trains via Falkirk High. For the next few weeks all trains will be slowing down nicely to take this in as you have to switch to Bus Replacement from Linlithgow.

My own favourite is the view of the Forth and the Bridges as the train makes the descent from Cobbinshaw Summit on the Carstairs line.

me123

Established Member
The most scenic route is probably via Bathgate & Airdrie. The middle bit is fairly scenic.

I prefer the long way via Carstairs for scenery. There's a few nice bits on that part of the WCML, although they're few and far between. The slow bit around Carstairs gives you an interesting look at the State Hospital if you're into that sort of thing, but I do like the ride from Carstairs to Kirknewton. Very nice peaceful countryside that gradually builds up as you close in to the Capital. Not as dramatic as elsewhere in Scotland, but very nice to see nonetheless. And, as Glenmuthckin says, actually really good views of the Forth Bridges.

But, to be fair, I'd say they're all about the same.

The main line is closed at the moment, but you get some nice views of the Campsies heading North and the bit between Linlithgow and Newbridge Jn is quite nice over the Winchburgh viaduct.

Airdrie-Bathgate has some nice scenery between Airdrie and Bathgate itself, but it's not spectacular. Airdrie-Glasgow is particularly dismal - there is quite a bit to look out for if you're interested in old railways, but otherwise you're trundling slowly through some of the most deprived parts of the East End. And it's every bit as scenic as it sounds. There's an abandoned trailer park, brutalist blocks of flats, cooncil hooses, the M8...

I've been on the Shotts line, but it's been many years ago now. I'm actually cue to use it tomorrow, but probably won't be able to comment on scenery as it'll be far too dark! The fact that I can't remember much of the scenery probably isn't a good sign.

If you can try them all, I'd recommend that. I'd choose via Carstairs.

Bodiddly

The most scenic way I have found is Glasgow-Inverness-Aberdeen-Edinburgh!
Helps when you get a few hours to do it!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've been on the Shotts line, but it's been many years ago now. I'm actually due to use it tomorrow, but probably won't be able to comment on scenery as it'll be far too dark! The fact that I can't remember much of the scenery probably isn't a good sign.

The Shotts [EGS] is surprisingly rural in places. There is quite a lot to see: crossing the Clyde at Glasgow & Uddingston; glimpses of Tinto Hill; the eerie sight of the former Institution at Hartwood; Fauldhouse Golf Course and the wind turbine; the Five Sisters at West Calder; views of the Cleish Hills (Fife), Binny Crag (which can be seen from all Edinburgh/Glasgow routes), & the Forth Bridges on the run in past Kirknewton; closer to Edinburgh we have Kingsknowe Golf Course, the Slateford Aquduct & Union Canal, as well as a good view of the Corstorphine Hill; views of Arthur's Seat from Kingsknowe Station & Edinburgh Castle from Slateford. Not forgetting the home of Scottish football (Tynecastle) and Rugby (Murrayfield) on the approach to Haymarket.

There are the Pentland Hills to the South which are almost constant companions from Benhar Jn. (Summit) towards Edinburgh.

g22

Thanks folks. Will be doing Glasgow to Tweedbank in September during a very brief trip to Scotland. It doesn't sound like there is that much in it.

me123

Established Member
I came down yesterday and took the Shotts line home for a change - partly inspired by this thread, partly to avoid a crowded Voyager to Motherwell (so imagine my face when I saw a Cross-country HST leave on the Motherwell service :x ).

Anyway, it's true that my memory of the line was poor, but I'm not sure why. It does have some quite nice sections along it. The view over Edinburgh and the Forth Bridges only improves as you leave the Edinburgh-Carstairs line. Then you've got the occasional scenic moment to the South of the line, particularly the bridge/viaduct over Fauldhouse Golf Course. So, I'll give it credit for its views.

If you're coming up and want to sample some different lines, I'd recommend giving a couple of lines a try. Maybe come over via Carstairs or Shotts, and back via Falkirk?

AndrewR232

I came down yesterday and took the Shotts line home for a change - partly inspired by this thread, partly to avoid a crowded Voyager to Motherwell (so imagine my face when I saw a Cross-country HST leave on the Motherwell service :x ).

That would be the 2114 from EDB / 2119 from HYM then? :D

Also, was the Shotts line busy at that time?

The route via Carstairs is my favourite. This is partly due to the scenery between Carstairs and Edinburgh, but also because (in my experience) the trains are quieter and have power sockets (apart from the 1020 from Edinburgh which is a 156 instead of a 380).

me123

Established Member
Yup. Forgot that XC had HSTs going to Glasgow! I thought that service would have been a Voyager, and would have been quite busy with people going end-end. I was also a bit worried about luggage - I'd be more likely to get space on the luggage rack. Turned out I needn't have been so worked up about it!

It was 20-30% loaded most of the way, which I would say was quite healthy for a Monday night. Quite a few people seemingly going end-end (or perhaps to Uddingston) though, so it may have been a fluke based on the engineering works. But I'm surprised at how many people traveled a few stops between seemingly quiet intermediate stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.