• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Newcastle "LNER & Connections" Advance ticket: valid on any "connecting" service to Edinburgh?

Willie Bee

My wife and I have just returned from a few days in Glasgow.

When we booked our tickets, I used the RailUK ticket site, as I wanted the option of adding 'extra time' for our change of trains at Edinburgh. We opted for a one-hour wait at Waverley.

In the end, our plans changed and I asked at Glasgow Queens Street station whether we could travel to Edinburgh on an even earlier train. I was told, ANY train could be used, even a train from Glasgow Central, although these trains take longer to reach Edinburgh. The woman in the ticket office even commented.. we actually encourage folk to travel early .. just in case anything goes wrong.

As we walked along the platform to the train I even asked again .. to be double-sure and was once again told .. Any train.

Just commenting here as it may be useful for other travellers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Willie Bee

@Willie Bee. What ticket(s) did you have, exactly? Anytime? Off Peak? Advance (Booked train only)? And what was the price paid, including any Railcard discount?
It was an Advance ticket as per the image. £21.50 each, for the full journey for both my wife and I (with railcards)

Attachments

• TKT  11 JUNE.jpg
    TKT 11 JUNE.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Willie Bee. Thanks for clarifying. Not sure if I'd want to be relying on a verbal o.k. if travelling using an Advance ticket on a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh other than that on the booked itinerary. Perhaps the "& Connections" does allow such flexibility, but I'm not entirely convinced.

ScotTrains

I've often travelled much earlier from Glasgow to make use of the Lounge at Edinburgh. It's never been a problem. Going earlier also means you're less likely to miss your connection therefore saving Scotrail from paying any delay repay.

Remember too that you can use 1st class on the +connections part of your ticket. Scotrail is now rubbish with poor seats and no catering anymore.

If you use split ticketing sites (RailUk etc) you can get it to give itineraries (and seat reservations) via Motherwell. This can potentially put you on TPEx, XC, LNER or Avanti services even with an LNER +connections ticket. As the 1st class ticket is valid on some Avanti services you may even get Lounge access at Central too.

alex_alexs28

Based on the Terms and Conditions, only the trains shown on your itinerary, including your connections. There may have been a lack of knowledge among the colleagues or some agreement done locally on that specific day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240613_151433_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240613_151433_Chrome.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Based on the Terms and Conditions, only the trains shown on your itinerary, including your connections. There may have been a lack of knowledge among the colleagues or some agreement done locally on that specific day.
Thank you for this, and I'm sure it's technically correct. Despite the experiences reported above, there is always the possibility of being pulled up for not having a valid ticket by a ticket inspector who would not be wrong, and I wouldn't risk it myself without clear and explicit permission before travelling on a different service to the one shown on my Advance ticket. Advance tickets are for specific trains, and the "and connections" was originally used without specifying a train, but now it does and it means that only this train is valid - with the usual exceptions allowed because of delay or cancellation.

Unless ScotRail or whoever formally publishes it as an exception that anyone can read, of course.

AWCook

The fare between Edinburgh and Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen St is the same. Scotrail only has one return fare since the removal of peak restrictions. You can travel on any train.

jfollows

Established Member
The fare between Edinburgh and Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen St is the same. Scotrail only has one return fare since the removal of peak restrictions. You can travel on any train.
This thread is referring to an advance ticket, not a different sort of ticket, and advance tickets are for specific trains.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you had a reservation on the SR connection (even counted place which looks like this: ***) then the booked connection should be taken. However, most staff are pragmatic and just want you to get where you going.

Despite what LNER state, if no reservation is shown, then generally speaking an appropriate connecting train may be taken.

route101

Established Member
Never had an issue taking an earlier service when connecting at Edinburgh, the connections were too short.

Mainline421

If you had a reservation on the SR connection (even counted place which looks like this: ***) then the booked connection should be taken. However, most staff are pragmatic and just want you to get where you going.

Despite what LNER state, if no reservation is shown, then generally speaking an appropriate connecting train may be taken.
Indeed, if this was issued as a paper ticket then no connection would be specified and it would be allowed. However since it's listed on the e-ticket it's only valid on the 16:45

Mainline421

More concerningly why have LNER decided to write their own T&Cs? Surely that can't be allowed for ordinary tickets as they're sold as subject to NRCoT? https://www.lner.co.uk/tickets-savings/advance-tickets/ 6. is incorrect as you can return to your origin station and refund if the journey becomes pointless before its completed. Tickets should be able to be changed <5 minutes before departure too, and the rest should be clearer they only apply to Advance fares.

ScotTrains

This is one of the many reasons I only buy paper tickets. I can then create valid itineraries nearer the time once I know my plans with the actual +connections I plan to get. Most local trains in Scotland (certainly around Glasgow) don't have reservations so it won't be on the original paper ticket.

I'd like to see LNER trying to deny someone access to their service because they initially used the Scotrail connection 15mins earlier than was on the itinerary. What nonsense.

MarlowDonkey

This is one of the many reasons I only buy paper tickets. I can then create valid itineraries nearer the time once I know my plans with the actual +connections I plan to get. Most local trains in Scotland (certainly around Glasgow) don't have reservations so it won't be on the original paper ticket.

I'd like to see LNER trying to deny someone access to their service because they initially used the Scotrail connection 15mins earlier than was on the itinerary. What nonsense.
I think the suggestion is that a ticket inspection on the Scotrail service could challenge the use of an earlier train than the one shown in the itinerary.