• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glastonbury impact on Sat 27/06/2015 08:35 Paddington to Dawlish Warren?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmncf

Next Saturday 27/06/2015 I intend to travel with my daughter on the 08:35 Paddington to Dawlish Warren, which calls at Castle Cary. We will be going for a day trip, but we don't want to go if it the weather will be poor, so I was planning to buy a Super Off-Peak Return on the day of travel, or perhaps a day or two before, depending on the weather forecast.

Could anyone please tell me if this service will be impacted by travel to the Glastonbury Festival? I've never been to Glastonbury so I'm not aware which days are busy for outward travel. Will there be a queuing system in place at Paddington that will affect this train, and if so would it still affect me if I booked early and got a seat reservation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Be sure to book with Southern and don't collect the tickets until you're sure of making the journey.

You've probably already seen this on this forum already but just in case you haven't: http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/money-back-guarantee/

The guarantee applies to all Anytime, Anytime Day, Off-Peak, Off-Peak Day, and Super Off-Peak tickets bought online at southernrailway.com.

Just so you know, it doesn’t need to rain for you to get your money back, you don’t need to come up with an excuse and you don’t need to tell us why you didn’t travel. You’ll be entitled to a full refund providing you don’t pick up your tickets. It really is that simple. So book online at southernrailway.com and enjoy the peace of mind of the Money Back Guarantee.

Andrewlong

Other than day trippers, most festival goers will be travelling to Glastonbury Wednesday to Friday and heading home following Monday. So you should be fine especially if you reserve seats.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Other than day trippers, most festival goers will be travelling to Glastonbury Wednesday to Friday and heading home following Monday. So you should be fine especially if you reserve seats.

Agreed, the worst for travelling will be Wednesday & Thursday towards the festival, and Monday coming back.

Saturday shouldn't be affected

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
We made the mistake of travelling from Bristol to Southampton one year, on the Saturday of Glastonbury. If anything, the train was quieter than usual. It's not the same route, of course, but I agree that there will be hardly anyone travelling to or from the festival on that particular day.

CC 72100

Established Member
That 08:35 Pad - Paignton is normally dead by the time it arrives in Devon. Whether many people get off at intermediate stations I don't know, but 5/10 people per coach after Exeter seems common in my experience.

dmncf

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I'm pleased to hear that Saturday won't be a busy day for Glastonbury travel, and I've also followed people's suggestions of booking & reserving seats using Southern's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.