• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Coach acquired by Hulley's

MotCO

Established Member
Mod note: this thread has been split from the Hulley's discussion - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hulleys-of-baslow.209043/

How long now until they either shut up shop or majorly descale the network?
Austin Blackman built up Go Coach from scratch, and has carved out a series of routes which are presumably profitable. He knows the business and assume him to be an astute businessman. I would not expect him to throw it all away by selling up to a company which is likely to shut up shop; if he wanted to sell, someone like Metrobus would be an ideal suitor, to compliment their existing network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Austin Blackman built up Go Coach from scratch, and has carved out a series of routes which are presumably profitable. He knows the business and assume him to be an astute businessman. I would not expect him to throw it all away by selling up to a company which is likely to shut up shop; if he wanted to sell, someone like Metrobus would be an ideal suitor, to compliment their existing network.

I'm guessing he sold to someone willing to pay.

MotCO

Established Member
I'm guessing he sold to someone willing to pay.
Or offered the best price. It will be difficult to manage operations from Derbyshire. Go-Coach thrived by being local and spotting opportunities - not easy from 150 miles away.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Go-Coach thrived by being local and spotting opportunities
Not quite sure that was the case. Go-Coach thrives because they rip off school kids (£5 single/£7.50 return!) and then have a services between schools to keep buses and drivers busy. Expansion is mostly due to council tenders or cushy contracts such as the AZ. They have an overly confusing network with no integration of schools and service (despite the two following the same routes), they are extremely anti passenger because of their huge desire to rip off school kids. They also tried to push everyone onto a failing DRT scheme which was conveniently ran by their Taxi division, tried to be what Uber was when they first started, a ridesharing app, so that they didn't have to run the local buses.

If it wasn't for the fact Austin ran it, Go-Coach in it's current form wouldn't be on the pedestal that it is today. The only reason people think they are half decent is because the buses can look decent and it's an enthusiast ran business. Conveniently, the same reason why some people liked (and some still do) like Hulleys, because some buses look nice and they are an enthusiast ran operator. If you lived in Sevenoaks though and relied upon GoCoach as an operator, good luck and I hope you don't mind being charged stupidly high fares if you need to travel before 9am or after 3pm.

It will be difficult to manage operations from Derbyshire. Go-Coach thrived by being local and spotting opportunities - not easy from 150 miles away.
What is very interesting is that Austin will become Engineering Manager for both Hulleys and GoCoach. It's one thing having different operations miles away but to have an EM overseeing those operations so far away from eachother is bonkers. We all slate Arriva for having large areas but this takes the biscuit.

duncombec

Not quite sure that was the case. Go-Coach thrives because they rip off school kids (£5 single/£7.50 return!) and then have a services between schools to keep buses and drivers busy. Expansion is mostly due to council tenders or cushy contracts such as the AZ. They have an overly confusing network with no integration of schools and service (despite the two following the same routes), they are extremely anti passenger because of their huge desire to rip off school kids. They also tried to push everyone onto a failing DRT scheme which was conveniently ran by their Taxi division, tried to be what Uber was when they first started, a ridesharing app, so that they didn't have to run the local buses.

If it wasn't for the fact Austin ran it, Go-Coach in it's current form wouldn't be on the pedestal that it is today. The only reason people think they are half decent is because the buses can look decent and it's an enthusiast ran business. Conveniently, the same reason why some people liked (and some still do) like Hulleys, because some buses look nice and they are an enthusiast ran operator. If you lived in Sevenoaks though and relied upon GoCoach as an operator, good luck and I hope you don't mind being charged stupidly high fares if you need to travel before 9am or after 3pm.
I think those comments show a skewed personal opinion, rather than any real experience of the operation, the area it runs in, or any funding arrangements with Kent County Council (KCC).

Anyone who has ever listened to a talk by Austin Blackburn, of which there have been a few in recent years, will know that he is by heart an engineer, and that is the side of the business he always felt most comfortable with. Indeed, since Covid, he has made quite clear that the operating side of the business was questionable, because it's not where the money came into. He may be enthusiast-tolerant, and is welcoming to them and the interest shown in his company (again, I believe I can at least paraphrase him by saying he appreciates people showing an interest in his business and can't understand why bus operators are against that), but I don't think he claims to be an enthusiast himself.

Not quite sure what you mean by the schools network not being integrated. Where there are parallel services they use the same number prefixed by an S (for Sevenoaks), and run far beyond the area needed for local bus operations. Tunbridge Wells services are similarly prefixed TW. I have something at the back of my mind suggesting this was a KCC idea, aborted post-Covid. The network is about as simple as it comes... what is so "confusing" about it?

There is no "taxi division" - it was an idea floated to maximize coverage in the borough during Covid when running full-size buses would have been unnecessary. It hasn't developed how he considered it might, partly due to the difficulty of working out who funds a combined public bus, dial-a-ride and school contract operation. As for "failing", from what I hear, the Go2 scheme is one of the better DRT schemes - indeed, I've used it!

As for the fares and people's usage, I presume you are aware that Sevenoaks is the most affluent district in Kent (indeed, one ward in Sevenoaks centre is the most affluent), and for most locals, especially those in the small rural villages, the bus is called "One's 4x4"? Arguably, if parents from South-East London can afford to send their children to one of Sevenoaks' grammar schools, rather than one closer, they can pay what the journey is worth. Considering what came before, I suspect the residents of Sevenoaks are really rather pleased with what Go Coach are offering.

I agree with Duncombec. Go coach run one of the services in our village. The other two are run by Hams and Arriva. My experience is that Go Coach are reliable, the vehicles are very well presented and the drivers are professional. Their bus tracker is excellent. I would trust a Go-coach or Hams bus to arrive as promised, unlike the services of their larger competitor. Sevenoaks is very tough bus operating territory. Apart from the high level of car ownership and affluent population, it enjoys an excellent and fast train service in all key directions. Go Coach has been clever to optimise its services and maintain a high level of quality, as Metrobus have done in Crawley / East Grinstead. I am also surprised that Go Ahead did not buy them out.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Anyone who has ever listened to a talk by Austin Blackburn, of which there have been a few in recent years, will know that he is by heart an engineer, and that is the side of the business he always felt most comfortable with.
I haven't criticised the engineering side or mechanics of the current buses. My only comment was that an engineering manager should not be in control of 2 operations 150+ miles apart.

Indeed, since Covid, he has made quite clear that the operating side of the business was questionable, because it's not where the money came into. He may be enthusiast-tolerant, and is welcoming to them and the interest shown in his company (again, I believe I can at least paraphrase him by saying he appreciates people showing an interest in his business and can't understand why bus operators are against that), but I don't think he claims to be an enthusiast himself.
In which case, I take back 'enthusiast ran'. Even to say enthusiast tolerant then, the company is largely deemed a good operator because it is more welcoming to enthusiasts. Any operator who is quite friendly with enthusiasts seems to be deemed a better operator.

Not quite sure what you mean by the schools network not being integrated. Where there are parallel services they use the same number prefixed by an S (for Sevenoaks), and run far beyond the area needed for local bus operations. Tunbridge Wells services are similarly prefixed TW. I have something at the back of my mind suggesting this was a KCC idea, aborted post-Covid. The network is about as simple as it comes... what is so "confusing" about it?
There's a few on the S routes. S7 is similar 1 route but diverts to the schools, easily a supplementary journey to fill gaps in the timetable. S3, runs like a 3 but diverts to the school, the S3 is even promoted on the 3 timetable leaflet. S5 is the 5 route but extends to the schools. S6 is the 6 route but diverts to the school Fares are £3 normally but if you dare to step on an S route, even where they are supplementary to a core service, it's £5 single upto with normal day tickets not accepted (I don't think they do returns). You call that a good thing? The 'Confusing' bit is the fact that the fares change depending on the day that you make the journe. For routes where the S buses are supplementary to the normal buses (after all, many areas have a prefix/suffix to show that there is a variations such as to serve a school), the fact that there is a premium price for that is just barmy. If you get the 15:35 6 Monday-Friday School days, it's £5 cash single. Get it on a Saturday or school holidays, it's £3 single. Same departure time, to 95% of bus users, it's the exact same trip (except school days it diverts slightly), why should it cost more depending on the day of travel? If that is what Arriva was doing, people go ballistic yet double standards kick in for the selected enthusiast tolerant operators.

The route numbers of TW make sense from what I cant see cases as they tend to be only useful for schools as they run fast from Sevenoaks. The S ones vary and the comments were quite clearly referring to where it is logical.

There is no "taxi division" - it was an idea floated to maximize coverage in the borough during Covid when running full-size buses would have been unnecessary. It hasn't developed how he considered it might, partly due to the difficulty of working out who funds a combined public bus, dial-a-ride and school contract operation. As for "failing", from what I hear, the Go2 scheme is one of the better DRT schemes - indeed, I've used it!
It wasn't really an idea, they went through with it. Go Taxi Hire was a thing. From what I've seen it is one of the better schemes but given how poor DRT schemes are, especially where they replace scheduled services, the bar for being one of the better schemes isn't exactly high. It's the best of a bad bunch, doesn't make it a good scheme though.

As for the fares and people's usage, I presume you are aware that Sevenoaks is the most affluent district in Kent (indeed, one ward in Sevenoaks centre is the most affluent), and for most locals, especially those in the small rural villages, the bus is called "One's 4x4"? Arguably, if parents from South-East London can afford to send their children to one of Sevenoaks' grammar schools, rather than one closer, they can pay what the journey is worth. Considering what came before, I suspect the residents of Sevenoaks are really rather pleased with what Go Coach are offering.
If you are charging a child £5 single, you'll find a lot more people driving their child to school. Just because people have the money to pay for it, they will still make a comparison on time and cost and if it works out cheaper or not much different to drive, you start pushing people into their cars.

Sevenoaks is very tough bus operating territory.
It's never going to be good bus territory when you are charging such different prices depending on the trip you get on and the buses are generally only useful if you only want to travel between 9am and 2pm. There are small villages in Wales with a better service than that, and that is saying something!

M803UYA

What is very interesting is that Austin will become Engineering Manager for both Hulleys and GoCoach. It's one thing having different operations miles away but to have an EM overseeing those operations so far away from eachother is bonkers. We all slate Arriva for having large areas but this takes the biscuit.
Worth remembering that in Kent, they've retained a selective 11to16 education system with grammar schools proliferating. Entry to them is by means of an examination (once known as the 11plus, but known as the Kent Test). So there is a lot of school travel over some very long distances (think 90mins upwards!) and the fares reflect it.

Kent County Council introduced the 'freedom pass' in the mid to late 2000s to encourage school travel by bus (rather than private car). The bus operators run the services to schools on a commercial basis and are reimbursed for each school pass used on the services. This has affected the two largest operations in different ways. Arriva permit child fares before 0930 - so their reimbursement rate was lower than Stagecoach's (who don't have child fares prior to 0930). The scheme has increased demand for bus travel in the county but in Arriva's case, is a massive barrier to them making any sort of money (those children travel up to 90minutes) as they can't churn the passengers on board the bus. Once on, they're staying until the school. This complicates the local travellers in Maidstone who need to also use the services to get to the same schools - there is no room on board.

Stagecoach, gaining the full adult single fare for every pass used on their services were in the very nice position of having full up buses, sitting idle offpeak vehicles to beef up the commercial bus network with the result you had interurban services running on 15/20 minute frequencies. Or at least you did until the present people turned up from Arriva to run the operation in the same innovative manner as they'd done in Maidstone! Both Arriva and Stagecoach overlay their freedom pass buses on top of local bus services, and also provide specific ones to schools which don't bear relation to the frequent commercial network.

Go has built it's operation off the back of Kent Freedom pass - which is why it's route network doesn't line up with local bus services. They're simply there to transport school children. I'd argue their fleet expansion since 2008/9 implies they've done it quite well. Whether Hulleys builds on that I'm not sure. There's room to expand if funds are available.

It gets a little more complicated around Sevenoaks. As Go is the 'dominant' provider thanks to Arriva's so called management it runs the local routes. Arriva used to operate the 402 from Bromley to Tunbridge Wells but there were reimbursement issues with TfL (Transport for London) over that section of service where Oyster passes were accepted and eventually it was chopped. On top of that Tunbridge Wells (TW) provided a local service around Sevenoaks using a trio/quartet of 15/16 year old branded ALX200 bodied Dart SLFs that spent more time in TW with the engine covers up, or running down to Crowborough on the 228/229 promoting the local route in Sevenoaks.... As the buses were slightly knackered reliability wasn't good and the depot manager made his thoughts clear on the subject when I first met him. I had this odd concept of management in that you actually visited depots, met and talked to and listened to people to find out what was wrong. Not the 'Arriva way of doing things' ! :D

Prior to my time in Invicta House the former Commercial Director made the faux pas of intending to withdraw this local Sevenoaks route but was unaware that Kevin O'Connor, then head of Arriva UK Bus was a Sevenoaks resident and user of the route. It's similar to a Dr Beeching of Forest Row not too far distant who decided that the branch line railway was essential to the local community and thus it wasn't eliminated. Obviously his need to get to London was irrelevant :D The Commercial Director was among those to 'reapply' for his job and surprisingly didn't get the job he'd been doing for 20plus years.

So once Arriva had completely fouled the lot up, Go was left in a position where it was the one to fill the vacuum. Having some smaller vehicles such as Transits running over a wider area could be a means of catering for the whole area rather than a part of it but DRT has proven costly and profitable for the makers of the software....

I'm finding (as someone who's worked in this part of Kent for a few years) this merger rather strange. Hulleys record under it's new management to date is one of needing to improve. There seems to be capital and cashflow issues which are obvious by the high turnover of the fleet and high frequency of service changes. Targeting school flows might provide a stabler stream of income for Hulleys rather than this chopping and changing, whilst some capital can be raised from the Go Coach fleet.

Goodness knows what comes in place - it'll be red, with two doors and might make the Cawlett groups's persistence with running 20 plus year old Bristol VRTs and Mk1 Leyland Nationals seem rather sensible in comparison to a fleet of crusty old London East Lancs vehicle which may, or may not be in 'floorless condition' This could be one way to generate additional income - turn yourself into an enthusiast's mecca for knackered old bangers everyone else has long since sent to a well known road in South Yorkshire on a one way ticket.

Sorry to the mods if I've strayed OT and posted in the wrong location. Feel free to relocate me :)

MotCO

Established Member
What is very interesting is that Austin will become Engineering Manager for both Hulleys and GoCoach. It's one thing having different operations miles away but to have an EM overseeing those operations so far away from eachother is bonkers.
Do Hulleys have a good engineering record, or is buying Go-Coach an 'easy' way of acquiring good engineering expertise?

Cesarcollie

Do Hulleys have a good engineering record, or is buying Go-Coach an 'easy' way of acquiring good engineering expertise?
Not sure - but if not it’s a slightly odd and potentially risky way of achieving it!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Worth remembering that in Kent, they've retained a selective 11to16 education system with grammar schools proliferating. Entry to them is by means of an examination (once known as the 11plus, but known as the Kent Test). So there is a lot of school travel over some very long distances (think 90mins upwards!) and the fares reflect it.
For the 90 minute journeys, it's a lot more reasonable to charge the higher fares, of course, the S routes that I refer to though aren't that. They are local Sevenoaks routes generally. That's where the issue lies.

Arriva permit child fares before 0930 - so their reimbursement rate was lower than Stagecoach's (who don't have child fares prior to 0930)
See the no child fare thing is strange, but nowhere near as bad as what Go coach do. It's one thing to say normal adult fare only, it's another to say, all fares goes up (by £3 for a child, £2 for an adult), just because you need to use the bus at a certain time, oh and by the way, that day ticket, yeah, not valid so you have already paid £6 for travel on the very limited network, now you need to pay another £5 to travel on this specific trip.

I think there are ways of doing things and have gone the wrong way about it. They penalise everyone and make it hard for people to make use of the full service available rather than going for a logical approach that doesn't basically kill all demand for adults to travel.

duncombec

In which case, I take back 'enthusiast ran'. Even to say enthusiast tolerant then, the company is largely deemed a good operator because it is more welcoming to enthusiasts. Any operator who is quite friendly with enthusiasts seems to be deemed a better operator.
I think the first question here is to ask whether you have actually been to Sevenoaks and travelled on their services. That enthusiast-friendly operators are deemed "better" appears to be your opinion - it may well be true, but not all users are enthusiasts to even care how friendly they are. Those I speak to of both varieties (and to quote @Phatcontroller who actually uses the services), would say it is because they are a good operator.

There's a few on the S routes. S7 is similar 1 route but diverts to the schools, easily a supplementary journey to fill gaps in the timetable. S3, runs like a 3 but diverts to the school, the S3 is even promoted on the 3 timetable leaflet. S5 is the 5 route but extends to the schools. S6 is the 6 route but diverts to the school Fares are £3 normally but if you dare to step on an S route, even where they are supplementary to a core service, it's £5 single upto with normal day tickets not accepted (I don't think they do returns). You call that a good thing? The 'Confusing' bit is the fact that the fares change depending on the day that you make the journe. For routes where the S buses are supplementary to the normal buses (after all, many areas have a prefix/suffix to show that there is a variations such as to serve a school), the fact that there is a premium price for that is just barmy. If you get the 15:35 6 Monday-Friday School days, it's £5 cash single. Get it on a Saturday or school holidays, it's £3 single. Same departure time, to 95% of bus users, it's the exact same trip (except school days it diverts slightly), why should it cost more depending on the day of travel? If that is what Arriva was doing, people go ballistic yet double standards kick in for the selected enthusiast tolerant operators.
It appears you aren't aware that a number of operators in Kent have in the past, and in some cases still do, have a no child fare before 9/9.30 policy, and Stagecoach used to have afternoon restrictions as well without an ID card. It simply isn't an issue for most users. It may not be an issue for any user, given the whacking great posters at Sevenoaks bus station, printed timetable leaflets and a website. I estimate the number of people confused by the fares policy to be somewhere in the region of zero, and the number of users desiring to share a double-decker bus with a legion of school children to be at similar levels.
There is good reason why more and more services are being reduced to Mon-Fri off-peak only across the country... that's where the use is. I know of numerous people who actively seek to be home by 3pm to avoid travelling "with the kids" even where there is no fare differential.

It wasn't really an idea, they went through with it. Go Taxi Hire was a thing. From what I've seen it is one of the better schemes but given how poor DRT schemes are, especially where they replace scheduled services, the bar for being one of the better schemes isn't exactly high. It's the best of a bad bunch, doesn't make it a good scheme though.
It's not helpful to refer to the small element of the company that ran Demand Responsive services as a "taxi division", which implies private hire/hackney cabs - it's a little like referring to East Kent having cars because of their trading name! One minute it's failing, the next it's the best of a bad bunch, and "can't be bothered to run buses", as per your first message, couldn't be further from the truth. Having heard a talk on the origins of the scheme, it's clear you're throwing brickbats rather than actually speaking from knowledge (and if I could remember the details, I'd quote them, but it was an oral presentation some months ago, so I won't run the risk of getting it wrong).

If you are charging a child £5 single, you'll find a lot more people driving their child to school. Just because people have the money to pay for it, they will still make a comparison on time and cost and if it works out cheaper or not much different to drive, you start pushing people into their cars.

It's never going to be good bus territory when you are charging such different prices depending on the trip you get on and the buses are generally only useful if you only want to travel between 9am and 2pm. There are small villages in Wales with a better service than that, and that is saying something!
Cart before horse. The fares are that high because that's what it costs to transport students, and for various other reasons @M803UYA explains. Once again, Sevenoaks is the most affluent area in Kent. Parents could easily afford such fares if they wanted to, but they choose the car instead. There is circumstantial evidence that school bus use through Kent but in West Kent in particular declined during the last academic year whilst parents were working from home, but has increased again this year, with some services overloading.

Strong opinions are great (I have them too, believe it or not), but sometimes the strength of them does show when you don't appear familiar with the area or operator you have them on.

So once Arriva had completely fouled the lot up, Go was left in a position where it was the one to fill the vacuum. Having some smaller vehicles such as Transits running over a wider area could be a means of catering for the whole area rather than a part of it but DRT has proven costly and profitable for the makers of the software....
Quite. It was a valiant effort, and has been revised a number of times to focus a better service on where most demand lies. To give the example of the one occasion I used the service, myself and two friends took one vehicle out of the Sevenoaks town area for easily more than an hour, to provide a 5 minute journey up the pavement-less, 40+mph limit road between Penshurst village and Penshurst Station, for which they earned something like £6. Useful for us, but a complete waste of resources to the scheme at large.
(The remainder of your commentary I snipped from the quote was also very interesting - I never understood the bonkers choice of W-reg ALX200s either - older than most cars in town!)

I'm finding (as someone who's worked in this part of Kent for a few years) this merger rather strange. Hulleys record under it's new management to date is one of needing to improve. There seems to be capital and cashflow issues which are obvious by the high turnover of the fleet and high frequency of service changes. Targeting school flows might provide a stabler stream of income for Hulleys rather than this chopping and changing, whilst some capital can be raised from the Go Coach fleet.
To bring my comments back to Hulleys and thus on topic, this is the key. It's not so much that Go Coach have sold, or indeed how they've gone about it (why sell to someone who'll run off with your assets, whereas at least this seems to allow past staff to "keep an eye on things"), but to the operator they've chosen. Who knows how it came about. A few loaned vehicles and a discussion brewed? An offer that couldn't be refused? Approaches elsewhere, but nobody suitable? And why have Hulleys purchased? A supply of loan buses? Cash flow issues? We'll never know, but there's no guarantee our speculation will be remotely correct.

Sorry to the mods if I've strayed OT and posted in the wrong location. Feel free to relocate me :)
Likewise. But unless we have a new thread specifically for merger topics, hopefully we'll be indulged to a certain degree!

Hophead

Established Member
I read elsewhere that Mr Blackburn preferred to sell to an independent. Why a company based in the Peak District rather than one closer to home is a bit of a mystery, though perhaps none of them fancied one or more of the business, the price, or the challenge of operating in Sevenoaks.

M803UYA

For the 90 minute journeys, it's a lot more reasonable to charge the higher fares, of course, the S routes that I refer to though aren't that. They are local Sevenoaks routes generally. That's where the issue lies.

See the no child fare thing is strange, but nowhere near as bad as what Go coach do. It's one thing to say normal adult fare only, it's another to say, all fares goes up (by £3 for a child, £2 for an adult), just because you need to use the bus at a certain time, oh and by the way, that day ticket, yeah, not valid so you have already paid £6 for travel on the very limited network, now you need to pay another £5 to travel on this specific trip.

I think there are ways of doing things and have gone the wrong way about it. They penalise everyone and make it hard for people to make use of the full service available rather than going for a logical approach that doesn't basically kill all demand for adults to travel.
I think you're right on the general principle that you should overlay your school flows on top of a normal bus service (as Delaine does for instance!) but that isn't how go have expanded the network. They've expanded in a very targeted way to capture one element of the market and one element only. That may allow them to be fully staffed on drivers too - just am pm work 39 weeks a year.

FWIW I don't agree with selective education. That's out of the scope of this thread though. It does however create some very unusual operating conditions for bus operators to serve but if you serve it properly (I'd argue Go Coach have done so and very well) you can make some money. So in that context I can see *why* you restrict child fares.

jammy36

They're not local Sevenoaks routes though, they're Sevenoaks school routes - in terms of the fare structure and who they're aimed at that is an important distinction. They bring children in and take children out (some over some distance).

Most of the S lettered routes have end to end journey times of 40 mins to 1 hour, they're not local buses pottering around Sevenoaks housing estates for Gladys, Beryl & George to use their OAP passes for popping to the shops.

As others have noted travel in Kent is different to other areas because of the selective education system that persists in the county. This means that travel patterns and distances are distorted and certain schools attract pupils from far and wide.

That is partly why Kent still offer the KCC Travel Saver ticket despite huge budgetary pressures. As others have explained managing travel flow can be tricky for operators.

The lettered services are open to the public but irregular/casual travel is not what they are designed for. I don't know the breakdown but I strongly suspect that most users of these services pay either through the Kent Travel Saver Scheme or buy one of Go Coach's academic/term passes. The high single fares on the lettered school services that you highlight are there to help manage flow by discouraging irregular/casual travel and encouraging regular travel via academic/term pass (giving more predictable and consistent income and passenger flow, which ultimately these routes depend on).

Last edited:

Travelmonkey

This still to me seems an odd turn of events compared to the growth of Rotala & First & go ahead, given the downward slope Hulleys have been on with their ill fated cross Pennine plans & Dales disaster that was more a blowout. I wonder if this was a way to try and save face; Austin is a clever bloke so hopefully his engineer eye can sort the Baslow buses. I do wonder if the DRT idea is also prime for a transplant in time too.

RJ

Established Member
I suspect that a bus nearly full or full of paying scholars is equivalent to the going rate in Kent of a school contract.

That would be an extremely well paying council contract if so. I’ve seen those buses around and suffice to say the legal capacity of the deckers does appear to be well used so if there are 90 or so children paying £7.50 each for a return trip then that’s a viable commercial service!

M803UYA

That would be an extremely well paying council contract if so. I’ve seen those buses around and suffice to say the legal capacity of the deckers does appear to be well used so if there are 90 or so children paying £7.50 each for a return trip then that’s a viable commercial service

As I explained in #9, Kent school bus services primarily operate on a commercial basis, with Kent County reimbursing the operator for each passenger journey made on the services by a passholder. If you're charging the right sort of fares, this work can justify a fleet of vehicles and drivers solely for schools. It is this work which Go Coach majored on, with a large degree of success as it was the largest part of their operations.

Kent is rare in practicing selective education for 11-16 year olds.

JKP

That would be an extremely well paying council contract if so. I’ve seen those buses around and suffice to say the legal capacity of the deckers does appear to be well used so if there are 90 or so children paying £7.50 each for a return trip then that’s a viable commercial service!
I was thinking it was a single deck. In a previous life before Covid the Council I worked for was paying up to £300 a day for a coach for schools in some areas.

Typhoon

Established Member
As I explained in #9, Kent school bus services primarily operate on a commercial basis, with Kent County reimbursing the operator for each passenger journey made on the services by a passholder. If you're charging the right sort of fares, this work can justify a fleet of vehicles and drivers solely for schools. It is this work which Go Coach majored on, with a large degree of success as it was the largest part of their operations.

Kent is rare in practicing selective education for 11-16 year olds.
Just to amplify this, not only does Kent have selective education, but there is a a choice of single sex and mixed grammar schools. There are also so-called 'super selective' grammars, where it is not just necessary to pass the Kent Test (its 11+ equivalent), but pass with particularly high scores. Additionally, the Kent Test is not restricted to pupils from Kent, a number from outside the county take it, pass, and are accepted into Kent grammars. The result of all of this is that a pupil who passes the Kent Test may not get into the nearest grammar because they haven't got a high enough mark, the chosen school has taken on a fair number of out-of-county pupils, the parents want a certain type (single sex v mixed). That pupil will then need to travel to a grammar school which will accept them, which is why it is best to avoid public transport at school-kicking-out time. At one time, I used to travel on a bus where a number of pupils got on in a town where there was a grammar, and got off at the terminus, a grammar, having passed two grammars along the way.

I don't know whether this has been pointed out but Sevenoaks does not have a boy's grammar (or mixed grammar) so pupils usually travel to Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells (or, perhaps, Maidstone).

If they are doing this, then they are presumably making excess profits..

Why isn't someone else doing it?

Go-Coach is not unique in offering a significant number of school routes (Ham's and Travelmasters come immediately to mind). Smaller companies, like 1st Bus Stop, operate either entirely or almost entirely, school routes.