• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East

Andyh82

Established Member
As mentioned on North East Buses Forum, all Deptford routes presently operated under either ‘Black Cats’ or no brand will be part of the ‘Sunderland District’ brand with the descriptor at the end describing the colour used at the front (‘Berries’ for the pinky-purple used on the 2/2A, which additionally links it to the Washington area network’s pink)
The issue is that there are two brands at play which is confusing

Look at X Lines, each route has a different colour, but there is only one brand “X Lines”

Here there are two brands, the “Sunderland District” brand and then the “Berries” brand.

Are they really going to announce “Welcome aboard this Sunderland District Berries 2A service to Washington..” at every stop?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
I think this was always on the cards when they rebranded the Q3 from Quaylink to Quaycity, but kept the Q1/Q2 as Quaylink.

I like the colour scheme of Quaycity, I originally took it that was the rebranding of all Quaylink services, its a shame really (Ok I might not know local knowledge on bus routes but just seems it'll stick out like a sore thumb) hopefully not!

Regarding the brand "east gateshead", would it not been simpler to say "gateshead"?, I know the mention of East Gateshead Orbits" is another but would it not sound better as "Gateshead Orbit(s)" or with "the...."?

cnjb8

Established Member
I think Sunderland District Pink or Purple would have made more sense then Berries. But I don’t think it’s that big a deal to be honest. I’m more concerned about the loss of well known brands like Black Cats, Quaylink and Red Arrows

tbtc

Veteran Member

From Monday 5 July, Stagecoach are suspending their 100 Newcastle to Metrocentre service on a temporary basis due to ongoing staffing and operational issues related to COVID-19.

Working together in partnership through NEbus, the North East Bus Operator's Association, and building on the multi-operator ticketing initiatives recently introduced, we will be accepting Stagecoach tickets on our own services between Newcastle and Metrocentre

cnjb8

Established Member
Apparently there are a number of fleet changes due at GNE:
Quaylink Versas go to Washington to operate 2/2A
This will displace the Black Cat StreetLites at Deptford to the Quaylink which is becoming the East Gateshead Orbit
Diamond StreetLites at Consett are moving to Percy Main to work the 1/1A and possibly 19.
Hybrids go the other way.
Somehow the Mercs and Omnis get withdrawn in all of this.
Source: https://www.northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=3443&page=5
Hybrids moving to Consett for the Durham Diamond, looking great!
Not my photo
Also the YX10 B7RLEs are moving to the X66

hst43102

Hybrids moving to Consett for the Durham Diamond, looking great!
Not my photo
Also the YX10 B7RLEs are moving to the X66
That looks really good! Nice to see that they are keeping the name of the route too. Are the hybrid's on the Coaster being replaced by StreetLites?

kez19

Established Member
I noticed GNE have updated their Metrocentre Shuttle with 3 colourful buses! I am aware that 5501 and 5502 were East Yorkshire Motor Service Buses, but where did 5503 come from?

credit photographer: Ben Glesson

I also noted as well looking on Flickr that they have (must be a loan/not in service yet) a Scania Fencer?
photo credit: blockybus

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyh82

Established Member
Wow, those look very smart!
The new intu-less MetroCentre logo is a bit boring though. Is that Times New Roman?!

It's been noted that the blue version of those vehicles looks a bit like Arriva MAX

Eyersey468

Established Member
I noticed GNE have updated their Metrocentre Shuttle with 3 colourful buses! I am aware that 5501 and 5502 were East Yorkshire Motor Service Buses, but where did 5503 come from?

I also noted as well looking on Flickr that they have (must be a loan/not in service yet) a Scania Fencer?
5503 is also ex East Yorkshire, there were 4 transfer up this year, YX10 EYU-W/Y ex 369-72.

cnjb8

Established Member

The Scania Fencer is the new product from Scania, looks like GNE are the first to try it

jkkne

The Scania Fencer is the new product from Scania, looks like GNE are the first to try it

They aren't trialling it - it was just a visit for the open day.

The UK's first Scania Omnicity was on loan to GNE from Go Ahead in London and has been operating duplicate school services during Covid. It's now been withdrawn and is moving into preservation, Scania sent the Fencer to mark the occasion. Old and new

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/1419344270553763845

Delighted to mark the occasion of YP52 CTO, the UK’s first Scania Omnicity and new to fellow @TheGoAheadGroup company @METROBUS, pass into preservation today with Will and Dylan, assisted by Lewis. Thanks to @ScaniaUK for bringing their latest generation Fencer bus for our event!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Can someone fill in a gap in my knowledge? (one of many gaps, admittedly...)

It's harder to keep up with changes these days when everything is electronic, rather than having a(n old) paper copy to refer to but...

The 1/1A were Whitley Bay to Wrenkton and Kibblesworth a few years ago, then they lost the part of the route beyond Gateshead and gained the "Metro Centre via Lobley Hill" route instead)

Presumably they were originally Whitley Bay - Newcastle services (before they started running to Wrenkton/ Kibblesworth), but what did they replace and what route did the 25/28/28A/29 take before the diversions to cover the "old" bits of 1/1A?

I'm partly asking as I find the route quite an odd one - the low number (which obviously clashes with a Stagecoach corridor in Newcastle, and has nothing to do with the other GNE/ Arriva services from Newcastle to North Tyneside which are numbered 3xx) - the fact that it's one of the very few Gateshead services to run beyond central Newcastle, the long duration (at a time when other routes around the country are being chopped up to ensure reliability)...

...plus the fact that the subsequent map of services on Durham Road means that Langley Park passengers take a couple of detours on the 25 between Chester le Street and Newcastle, whilst there are quite a few "short" journeys on the Angel from Chester le Street into Newcastle (i.e. would it be more attractive to have the 25 running direct along the Durham Road to replace some "shorts" whilst a different service covers the back streets of Birtley etc?)...

...what were services like pre/post the changes in that neck of the woods?

jkkne

Can someone fill in a gap in my knowledge? (one of many gaps, admittedly...)

It's harder to keep up with changes these days when everything is electronic, rather than having a(n old) paper copy to refer to but...

The 1/1A were Whitley Bay to Wrenkton and Kibblesworth a few years ago, then they lost the part of the route beyond Gateshead and gained the "Metro Centre via Lobley Hill" route instead)

Presumably they were originally Whitley Bay - Newcastle services (before they started running to Wrenkton/ Kibblesworth), but what did they replace and what route did the 25/28/28A/29 take before the diversions to cover the "old" bits of 1/1A?

I'm partly asking as I find the route quite an odd one - the low number (which obviously clashes with a Stagecoach corridor in Newcastle, and has nothing to do with the other GNE/ Arriva services from Newcastle to North Tyneside which are numbered 3xx) - the fact that it's one of the very few Gateshead services to run beyond central Newcastle, the long duration (at a time when other routes around the country are being chopped up to ensure reliability)...

...plus the fact that the subsequent map of services on Durham Road means that Langley Park passengers take a couple of detours on the 25 between Chester le Street and Newcastle, whilst there are quite a few "short" journeys on the Angel from Chester le Street into Newcastle (i.e. would it be more attractive to have the 25 running direct along the Durham Road to replace some "shorts" whilst a different service covers the back streets of Birtley etc?)...

...what were services like pre/post the changes in that neck of the woods?

Kibblesworth used to have a more direct link to the MetroCentre with the 809 which ran from Chester le Street - Birtley - lamesley - Kibblesworth - Team Valley - Dunston - Metrocentre.

The 28 used to be the 721 and ran the same route (aside it diverted around Windsor Road in Birtley and then the Barley Mow Estate) before going into Chester Le Street.

The 28A used to be the 733 and that route is the same aside the service now diverts via Kibblesworth when it used to run via the Angel and Harlow Green to Saltwell Road.

The 25 was the 725 (and 25) and used to run via Old Durham Road as opposed to through Low Fell

There was also a 24 which ran from Pilgrim St along Durham Road and went off to Kibblesworth via Chowdene Bank (essentially the current 1) route

Birtley's back streets so to speak are now only really covered by the secured 23 service.

There's an excellent website called northeastbuses.co.uk which has a bygone section and a wealth of knowledgeable posters who are good to engage with too.

APT618S

Presumably they were originally Whitley Bay - Newcastle services (before they started running to Wrenkton/ Kibblesworth),
The 1 was originally the 301. The 302 became the 2 (but not the current one). See this link for the 1979 route & timetable:

vla50

Are the DB250s that arrived into GNE replacing the Volvo B7TLs currently operating the TOON Tour?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Are the DB250s that arrived into GNE replacing the Volvo B7TLs currently operating the TOON Tour?
Do you know which ones/how many they have acquired, and when they arrived? I note @arbeia mentioned LJ51 DKV in an earlier post (pictured here) and I've also found this photo of LJ51 DJZ with Go North East. Transdev have taken LJ51 DKL from the same batch for York.

At the same time Ensignbus acquired those three as sales stock, they also took LJ51 DKE/F/K from the same batch. I notice the advert on their website says they have be re-engined with Cummins units and are Euro VI compliant, so perhaps these have been acquired ready for the upcoming Newcastle clean air zone?

Link to sales advert: https://www.ensignbus.com/2001-dlp-daf.html

Plaxton President (DLP) DAF (Long) - EURO-6

Specifications:

** EURO 6 **
First Registered 2001
Height 14’6
Capacity 70, Upper deck 47, Lower deck 23.
Vehicle has been re engine with a Cummins ISB 6 Euro 4 engine, with AdBlue to meet Euro 6.
Voith Gearbox

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
They aren't trialling it - it was just a visit for the open day.

The UK's first Scania Omnicity was on loan to GNE from Go Ahead in London and has been operating duplicate school services during Covid. It's now been withdrawn and is moving into preservation, Scania sent the Fencer to mark the occasion. Old and new

https://twitter.com/MartijnGNE/status/1419344270553763845
Nottingham City Transport were the first UK operator of Omnicities. Their oldest was a 51-reg numbered 501.

EDIT: So turns out both are correct. There were six NCT examples before that were, however they were purchased as LHD and converted over here with the help of Scania. The 52-reg was the first actually built to a UK spec

scosutsut

Ex EYMS 371 (YX10EYW) according to other Flickr posts

cnjb8

Established Member

Ex EYMS 371 (YX10EYW) according to other Flickr posts
It would help if GNE updated their enthusiast section!
Looks like NK55OLM is returning to the north east for preservation, potentially with GNE, from Plymouth Citybus

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Go North East have announced some big service changes for September, including some big cuts in some areas and some routes receiving a rebrand with a new name.

Some services that were reduced in frequency or withdrawn during the pandemic will become permanent changes and with some other services around Chester Le Street they are being withdrawn or curtailed hoping Durham County Council will step in with funding.

The dedicated Quaylink Q1/Q2 will be withdrawn with the Voltra diverted via the quayside instead.

Peak time buses like the 90, X97 & 10X are withdrawn.

It’s all here in great detail:

There is also a PDF explaining the changes and what they are doing to rebuild in this post Covid world

Surreyman

"Zebra" proposal for the North East (Zero Emission Buses Regional Area scheme).

If this bid is approved, it would seem to mostly involve Go North East.

Sources - Newcastle Magazine &
Up to £120 million is being made available through the Zero Emission Buses Regional Area (ZEBRA) scheme, which allows local transport authorities to bid for funding to purchase zero-emission buses. The Department for Transport (DfT) hopes this will reduce transport emissions and improve urban air quality significantly across the UK. The funding aims to deliver up to 500 zero-emission buses nationally, supporting the government’s wider commitment to introduce 4,000 zero-emission buses.

The North East Joint Transport Committee has now been invited to prepare a business case for funding from the ZEBRA programme.

To be submitted in January 2022, if successful a new fleet of 73 electric vehicles could be operating across the region, part of a phased approach to transform the region’s bus fleet.

This investment would be targeted at,​

• Coast Road Corridor; serving Newcastle, North Tyneside and South East Northumberland,
  • A167 Corridor, Newcastle, Gateshead, Chester-Le- Street and Durham City Centre.
  • Consett; serving the communities of Consett, Derwent Valley and Durham;
  • Durham Park and Ride: includes services from four park and ride sites, part of a package to improve public transport use and improve air quality; and
  • Hexham: centred on Hexham, also serving Allendale, East Tynedale, Haltwhistle, Mid Tyne, Ponteland and Prudhoe as well as parts of Cumbria and Tyne & Wear. It would serve towns and villages and connect to the World Heritage site of Hadrian’s Wall, Northumberland National Park and areas of outstanding natural beauty

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Go North East have announced some big service changes for September, including some big cuts in some areas and some routes receiving a rebrand with a new name.

Some services that were reduced in frequency or withdrawn during the pandemic will become permanent changes and with some other services around Chester Le Street they are being withdrawn or curtailed hoping Durham County Council will step in with funding.

The dedicated Quaylink Q1/Q2 will be withdrawn with the Voltra diverted via the quayside instead.

Peak time buses like the 90, X97 & 10X are withdrawn.

It’s all here in great detail:

There is also a PDF explaining the changes and what they are doing to rebuild in this post Covid world

The one very interesting development, and it was mentioned to me last year and I'd wondered if it would still come to pass, is the extension of the 21 to Brandon. So as per the extension from Bishop Auckland to West Auckland, Go NE are putting their tanks firmly on Arriva territory at a lower frequency and hoping that a) quality counts b) through journeys will prove attractive and c) they'll gain some opportunist travellers.

I keep on saying it (sorry) but Arriva are not in a good way and whether it's Durham or Merseyside or Kent, firms are beginning to nibble away and not on hitherto marginal routes whilst Arriva are seemingly paralysed.

The other changes are extremely interesting with a few unsurprising casualties plus a few that are a little more eye raising.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Kibblesworth used to have a more direct link to the MetroCentre with the 809 which ran from Chester le Street - Birtley - lamesley - Kibblesworth - Team Valley - Dunston - Metrocentre.

The 28 used to be the 721 and ran the same route (aside it diverted around Windsor Road in Birtley and then the Barley Mow Estate) before going into Chester Le Street.

The 28A used to be the 733 and that route is the same aside the service now diverts via Kibblesworth when it used to run via the Angel and Harlow Green to Saltwell Road.

The 25 was the 725 (and 25) and used to run via Old Durham Road as opposed to through Low Fell

There was also a 24 which ran from Pilgrim St along Durham Road and went off to Kibblesworth via Chowdene Bank (essentially the current 1) route

Birtley's back streets so to speak are now only really covered by the secured 23 service.

There's an excellent website called northeastbuses.co.uk which has a bygone section and a wealth of knowledgeable posters who are good to engage with too.

Thanks for the comprehensive answers - I'll have to join the site, looks good :)

Go North East have announced some big service changes for September, including some big cuts in some areas and some routes receiving a rebrand with a new name

Seems a reasonable enough package, I guess, which are probably going to be reflected in other parts of the UK if/when operators undertake network reviews to adjust to the "new normal"

Reduction in peak demand means reduction in rush hour services (Q3 extras to Great Park, the peak 10X/ X97 etc)

Metro Centre trade presumably gone down a bit too (big cuts from Stanley to the Metro Centre, no more 97 corridor through Teams to Newcastle)

Hospital services scrapped/ absorbed into existing services (H1/H2 in South Tyneside)

Some things confuse/surprise me though

• route branding on the hourly X22 (Durham - Metro Centre) - if I had to put money on anything then I'd have guessed that it'd be withdrawn due to the Metro Centre trade that other routes are suffering from - and GNE are obviously removing a lot of branding from routes to simplify the number of brands that they have - but instead it's getting upgraded
  • route branding on the 65 (the "twice as frequent" replacement for the 65) feels like another surprise too
  • some cuts don't seem too surprising - the 28 was always a long way of getting from Chester le Street to Newcastle, and the Beamish trade is probably more suited to the B1 (and 8)
  • getting rid of the Q1/Q2 route numbers seems a bit of a shame - given how they've been a high profile way of attracting leisure passengers to the Quayside area (I get that it's only a short walk from central Newcastle but having the "Q" route numbers and the special branding must have attracted a few people to the Baltic etc?)
  • the changes to the 51/52/53/54 confuse me a little - I can see the idea of having the 51/52/56/57/58 each every fifteen minutes through Gateshead (rather than the variety of frequencies and the Q1/Q2 numbers) but diverting the 53/54 via the Quayside instead of the old Q1/Q2 or new 51/52 ... I don't know who that helps? Or did they order enough electric buses to include the diversion route too?
  • some improved evening services (8/78 as separate services), on top of the £1 flat fare - nice to see improvements in the evenings!
  • I can understand splitting the Whitley Bay - Metro Centre service but doing so at Gateshead means that parts of Lobley Hill etc lose their through service to Newcastle, which seems a shame (since I can't imagine there'd be that much through trade between Gateshead and North Tyneside, so the 1 still crossing the river doesn't seem essential - just my comments as an outsider, mind!)
  • 21 looks like a great cross-Durham route, links to the Arniston Centre etc (similar to the cross-town benefits in Bishop Auckland) - do Arriva try to defend their 49 (given current shortages etc)? But if they don't, does the rest of the Durham local stuff look vulnerable?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
21 looks like a great cross-Durham route, links to the Arniston Centre etc (similar to the cross-town benefits in Bishop Auckland) - do Arriva try to defend their 49 (given current shortages etc)? But if they don't, does the rest of the Durham local stuff look vulnerable?
I don't know how much cross Durham trade there would be but it's a canny move as there may be some interest in a direct route to destinations towards Newcastle (as there is from West Auckland to spots east of Bishop) and it's not as if it's a direct copy in frequency either.

The 49/49A was traditionally one of the killer services for Durham but I suspect it's not quite as strong as once it was. Still, it's a real challenge for Arriva who have been impotent in earlier incursions by Go North East. We shall see if this generates any sort of response.