• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got there eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quarella

On my Penzance trip I realised that I had could not recall visiting Totnes. The current lack of railway appealed too as I am familiar with the M5 but there is so much you miss whilst driving so it was to be a coach ride west. I would have been willing to pay but I was interested to see the whether my staff passes would be accepted as a valid ticket by Stagecoach Devon between Exeter and Newton Abbot.

Attempt one was on made on Wed 26th Feb. Rail replacement coach departure times from Bristol Parkway are 0810 and 0840, then a long gap which suggests the 0700 departure from Bridgend would be wise to give two bites of the cherry in case of delay. However a poor night’s sleep the previous night I decided to chance the 0730 departure. This was a mistake as signalling problems at Llantrisant west put us down 12 minutes before Cardiff. Kept very well informed by the traincrew though. In a loop just before Severn Tunnel Jct were two HST powercars which must accelerate at a fair old lick. As we approached Bristol Parkway I looked across to the bus stops to see if the 0840 had been held or any other vehicles looked like they may be heading west cursing leaving the Bristol Parkway – Plymouth timetable at home.
As I could only see a minibus in addition to the service buses I decided to stay on board and work out what to do en route. Couple of ideas went through my head. Reading to Hereford. The forum had reminded me of the Chiltern train from Paddington. The water levels around the river at Reading seemed to have dropped since I last passed this way but between Tilehurst and Reading water could still be seen in the 4’and over the troughing.
We reached Paddington about 15” down and I went for a look at the new taxi rank listening to a slightly confusing manual announcement about travelling to Torbay. I think it was Buses magazine that commented on the announcements for the revised location of the taxi rank, but none for the relocated bus stops. I do miss the taxis coming down the ramp between the platforms and exiting on to Praed Street. The ramp, still in place but with a barrier preventing access still has a sign stating how many BRUTES may be taken down it.
Still quite a wait for the Chiltern or a Reading service but a Greenford train was soon to depart. Of course it was from the platforms nearest the taxi rank and I had made it back to platform 3. My last visit to Greenford had been shortly after Ladbroke Grove when the terminus for Great Western services was Ealing Broadway. After my open top replacement bus ride from Paddington, and I did go upstairs I found Ealing Broadway was shut due to the number of passengers on the platform. Seeing a bus to Greenford I remembered there was a there was a Greenford-Slough? Shuttle so I thought I’d be clever and bypass the queue. Got to the platform at Greenford just in time to see a pair of tail lights disappearing. Paddington – Weston-super-Mare, my home at the time normally takes about 2.5 hours. That evening it took me 5.5!
The 165 with regional announcements did the usual for a British suburban line of lots of noise but very little speed. Something that appeared to have been addressed in my limited experience of The Overground. On the approach to Greenford there were some signs between the tracks stating something along the lines of “Auto-trains operate on these lines”. Not an area I thought they worked and slightly worrying that the signs are necessary.
Ever onward time to tap in the Oyster. Couldn’t see a reader on the platform so down to the ticket hall. After going through the barriers I thought I may as well take a look outside discovering TATA make tea as well as Jaguars in the process. Looking at the excellent information on London bus stops I decided to take a bus to South Harrow as it had the BR arrows to see what I could pick up from there. Warning bells should have rung with the hail and ride section on the map and when a small bus appeared I should have realised I was in for a tour of multiple housing estates. It fascinates me how somewhere with such an excellent public transport network is still so dependant on the car with gardens paved over and still cars along the pavement and a central green.
At South Harrow station I alighted and, before entering the station had a quick look at the bus stop to see what destinations were possible. Watford has family connections and seemed a good distance. A double decker (no idea what type) arrived and I bagged the front seat upstairs. Adequate knee room but I was unable to put my size 8 shoes flat on the floor between the bulkhead and a panel under the seat. We climbed through the well heeled area of Harrow on the Hill passing Harrow school before descending into Harrow itself with a short detour to the bus station. Harrow council offices will appeal to fans of 1960s architecture. The bus then continued through Wealdstone and then through an attractive wooded section on the run into Bushey. For some reason the journey from the town outskirts to Watford Jct station was driven rather harshly. Watford does seem to have followed a European model of flattening great swathes for modern buildings.
Considering going to Bicester to see what is going on there I look at the departure board to see I stand no chance of making the fast train to Birmingham but something to London with one stop in 15 minutes courtesy of London Midland. After a long walk to the loo I decided to stay in that carriage where a group of youths were discussing music lessons. I had never heard a bassoon pronounced bay soon before.
Euston isn’t perfect but why do we feel the need to retain anything Victorian, working around the problems it creates and flatten anything built since the war. It is a product of its time and I like it. I set off for the bus stop for Marylebone, heading in the wrong direction. One day someone will put a map up that you don’t have to turn by 180 degrees in your head.
I arrived at Marylebone with just enough time for the long walk to the Birmingham bound 168. Quite a pleasant interior and very well loaded for mid afternoon. A few stops later and we arrive a Bicester North. Smart little station but not knowing the times Bicester Town to Oxford I decide to head straight there eschewing the bus on grounds of money, skinflint that I am and exercise as I have been sat down nearly all day. I may have missed a pedestrian sign. The sun was beginning to go down so I finished following a bypass before finding the pedestrian signs at the other end of the town centre. Bicester town station, what I could see of it as it is barricaded off due to the ongoing works for an Oxford to Marylebone service taking two years was a bus shelter. I was slightly thrown as I remembered the Bristol TM – Oxford and Bicester town being operated by FGW. A replacement bus was due in half an hour. With the frequency of the timetable turning up on spec could have meant a very long wait. The bus co-ordinator was chatty showing me the waiting room which is a warehouse until if is demolished when he says a porta-cabin will be brought in.
The bus from the fleet of Stagecoach Oxford was so new you could still smell the newness. Most of the downstairs given over to racking for cycles. A nice route to drive if you didn’t have to faff around with tickets. A brisk run along the A34 before turning off for Islip. I think there is money in Islip. Multiple speed bumps. Couldn’t really see any reason for not stopping by the station but the rail replacement bus stop t is away from the station on the outskirts of the village outside what appear to be council houses. As we took the junction around the war memorial I did wonder how long it would be before someone hit the cottage on the outside. Along some country lanes before reaching Oxford and many cyclists with a death wish en route to the station.
For a station recently rebuilt I found it rather poor that the natural place for passengers to wait for up services was just outside the doors to the booking hall causing problems for passengers using other services. I had contemplated returning home via Hereford but the additional 2.5 hours, mainly in darkness was putting me off and when I saw that there had been a fatality earlier at Charlbury I decided to keep it simple. A stopper to Paddington that pretended it was only going to Ealing Broadway got me to Didcot Parkway for the 12 minutes late once a day service to Carmarthen. Advertised as full and standing but coach B was a declassified first people were not making use of. Couldn’t convince one old lady stood in the vestibule. I do not find the first class seats comfortable. It’s like having a cushion in the small of your back. Despite that I dozed my way back to Bridgend.

Second Attempt Fri 7th March.
Alarm set for 0700 train. I awoke to the sound of heavy rain and decided not to bother. Turned out to be a nice day in the end but the house benefitted from a bit of
hoovering.

Third attempt Sat 08th March.
There were later coaches between Bristol Parkway and Exeter St Davids on Saturdays but I was awake so caught the 0700 off Bridgend to Bristol Parkway. Worrying moment when a family group that were getting on my nerves said they only had ten minutes to change at Bristol Parkway but I think they went north. A Mercedes from Redwoods of Hemyock took me to Exeter St Davids. Looked smart and there was a Mercedes logo on every seat but the headrest was just in the wrong place for me to be comfortable. Under the often hit bridge at Gypsy Patch Lane and then past what is left of Rolls Royce and Filton Airfield. A lot of new housing since I last passed this way then onto the M5. As I said a few pages ago one of my aims was to get a look at things I can’t see properly when driving. Looking up the Avon towards Bristol I don’t think I have ever seen the line to Royal Portbury Dock before. Must cycle over at some point. Further on around Bridgwater I note how much harder it is to see the Willow Man as housing is built ever closer. I think the camel has disappeared. A short bit of A30 and we join the ever present queues getting into Exeter. As we cross the Exe the level has certainly fallen now fully within the channel clear of the waterside footpath. I count 12 rail replacement coaches heading north.
At Exeter St Davids free coffee and shortbread is available but I head straight to the bus stop as I thought I only had 15 minutes for my connection. A porta-cabin has been provided as a waiting room with photos displayed showing the damage necessitating the use of coaches. A second porta-cabin is in use by the bus co-ordinators. Stickers have been produced stating “First Cross Country Keeping the West Country moving.” I think an and is required between First and Cross Country or a slash but then so many people still think Virgin run Cross Country is it worth it? I board the 1006 departure as per my timetable but am stopped by a co-ordinator who tells me that it is a stopping service and there I will get there earlier if I wait for the 1030 departure.
A Mid-Devon Coaches Irizar pulled up. Total opposite to my previous experience. Extremely well driven and the driver was good with passengers too. He even walked through and cleared any litter when we stopped at Newton Abbott.
From Totnes station to the town is uphill. A steep hill. As I had my English Heritage card I paid a visit to the castle. Great views. I would have stayed longer but there were no loos I could see so continued into town. It was lunchtime anyway. A wide selection of tea rooms including one for cats!! I went to the Green café and took away a number of cakes. A lot of independent shops on the high st which does make a pleasant change to the normal homogenous line up of chain stores, some for people with money to waste. I picked up a copy of “The architecture of parking” for a very good price though did weigh my small rucksack down a bit. After wending my way down the main street, I had a brisk walk back to the station. Much as I would have liked to have had a little more time to explore there was a nasty two hour gap in services.
150130 took me on to Plymouth adorned with transfers for the “Severnside Community Rail Partnership” somewhere it won’t be seeing for a while. A fair bit of rattling and vibration as we climbed out of Totnes. Now I see why services omit Totnes when running on one engine. A young chap asked me to keep an eye on his baby sleeping in a buggy while he nipped to the loo. He didn’t tell me he hadn’t applied the brakes. I found out at the first corner but the child did not wake when the buggy crashed into my foot. Laira was virtually empty. Two power cars and two first class coaches on view.
In the half hour I had at Plymouth I partook of the free coffee and shortbread, and also the free concourse loo. A trip down memory lane with my transport returning me to Bristol Parkway. A Volvo Van Hool from the fleet of Bakers Dolphin of Weston-super-Mare. I can only recall one school trip that was not on one of their vehicles. The bodywork was more likely to be a a Plaxton Paramount back then though it was a Volvo B58 underneath last time I travelled with them.
The sudden loss of speed for a tight bend just after Chudleigh reminded me that this section of A38 was an old two way alignment which had become one way when a new southbound carriageway was built. I dozed off around Bridgwater but at Clevedon I realised we were way ahead of time despite departing Plymouth 15 late. Held for an incoming train I think. I had thought 3 hours was rather generous but quite possible to exceed at certain times. Traffic on a Saturday afternoon was fairly light. Expecting a 50 minute wait at Bristol Parkway it was now a possibility to catch the previous service, which I discovered on checking my phone was running 10 minutes late. Surprisingly for a local driver we went round the top dropping into Bristol Parkway via the M4 and M32 causing a few passengers to stir when we sailed past the junction with the A38 at Aztec West. I am not sure which route is quicker and whilst interesting to see the changes that have taken place I would have been happier on the tried and tested route. Fortunately we made it. Police were attending to some passengers on a coach at the station but a quick dash over the bridge for the slightly delayed 1808 departure and a doze back to Bridgend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.