• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
I found this information on Wikipedia but you don't have to believe me those. Suppose you want to look on Wikipedia. Be my guest.
I think the point is that saying Southeastern have more stock than Southern on pure numbers doesn’t mean Southeastern have less need for more stock. To try and estimate that, you’d want average daily fleet utilisation or something. Or number of daily short forms/cancellations due to lack of stock.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The point you seemed to be trying to make back then was that the numbers were not fairly distributed between the 2 TOCs, as though SE had too many trains. Thats the bit no one agreed with.
Meanwhile the SNCF has a fleet size of 2,255 trains. This is an outrage against Southern commuters!

Minstral25

Established Member
If Southeastern has the same problem. Then I would fully support them getting more rolling stock.
Southern has the right number of trains for the Services it runs today - you do not see cancellations very often for lack of rolling stock.

If Southern is going to strengthen services it will need more trains. That is presumably what this cascade is about. It's speculation to see where they go but I suspect we won't see many changes before Dec 24.

Energy

Established Member
If Southern is going to strengthen services it will need more trains. That is presumably what this cascade is about. It's speculation to see where they go but I suspect we won't see many changes before Dec 24.
Yes, the few extra 387s it will get are for additional services (though I can't remember what they are of the top of my head!). It does not need 30 additional units so some 377s may go to SE for 465/9 replacement.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes, the few extra 387s it will get are for additional services (though I can't remember what they are of the top of my head!). It does not need 30 additional units so some 377s may go to SE for 465/9 replacement.
Southern could do with 5-6 extra 377's to get some of the very busy rush hour workings back up to 12's though but don't see any of the other extra services returning like the fast Dorkings.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I would have thought that the DFT would have tried to get replacement rolling stock to replace the 455s and the 313s 1st . But it has taken this long and for Southern Railway to lose services for the DFT to listen.
We have had a pandemic and fewer people have been travelling. Worse still the railways have lost more season ticket revenue than the drop in passenger numbers suggests. It is picking up though but not enough to really increase capacity by much - so far.

Sutton in Ant

We have had a pandemic and fewer people have been travelling. Worse still the railways have lost more season ticket revenue than the drop in passenger numbers suggests. It is picking up though but not enough to really increase capacity by much - so far.
Yes. I do understand that we had a pandemic which in my view was very badly managed by the government but what what I have seen that Southern had to cut back on services due to lack of available rolling and commuters were not happy about and were doing petitions about reinstating services that was taken away.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
We don't know yet whether the 30x 379s will be supplemented by the retention of some 387s on the GN side or increased utilisation of 700s, and in turn whether the 379s will operate the same diagrams as the 387s now.

But has there been any indication of when this decision might be made and when we might get to know this? From Govia or the DfT?

class717

In a perfect world all the 700s will go from GN and be sent South of the River, but that is an option that is never mentioned. Interesting that on the daigrams on the 700s Cambridge - Mainstone still appears as "route under development" on the map.
It doesn’t any more, and the paths got used by a new southeastern service in May 2023.

Established Member
We don't know yet whether the 30x 379s will be supplemented by the retention of some 387s on the GN side or increased utilisation of 700s, and in turn whether the 379s will operate the same diagrams as the 387s now.

But has there been any indication of when this decision might be made and when we might get to know this? From Govia or the DfT?
That will become clear when unit and traincrew plans have been worked out. But I would expect it will be 30 379+some 387s and a handful of extra RLU diagrams.

Southern Dvr

It does. It really does. There are incredibly busy services. There’s demand for a lot of the now withdrawn services to come back.

455s & 313s withdrawn with no replacement, Southern needs more stock.

bramling

Veteran Member
That will become clear when unit and traincrew plans have been worked out. But I would expect it will be 30 379+some 387s and a handful of extra RLU diagrams.

It will be interesting to see if it possible to make the 387s and 379s compatible in service. This would certainly offer some benefit in terms of flexibility.

One presumes that the 379s will simply drop on to some of the diagrams which currently work all day as a pair. There’s plenty of them to get the ball rolling. Naturally there may have to be some slight shuffling to ensure everything balances.

brad465

Established Member
It does. It really does. There are incredibly busy services. There’s demand for a lot of the now withdrawn services to come back.

It does need them, but as well know too well the DfT and co. don't do sense.

Established Member
It will be interesting to see if it possible to make the 387s and 379s compatible in service. This would certainly offer some benefit in terms of flexibility.

One presumes that the 379s will simply drop on to some of the diagrams which currently work all day as a pair. There’s plenty of them to get the ball rolling. Naturally there may have to be some slight shuffling to ensure everything balances.
379s run on Linux and 387s on Windows so very much "computer says no"! Not sure if mechanically they would couple, depends if the coupler alignment is the same on both types I guess but they wouldn't be able to couple in service.

The problem with dropping them into current diagrams is that half of the services they'd work would be Kings Cross to Letchworth stopping services, which looks daft with 700s still going north of Cambridge. But at first at least they would go onto self contained peak diagrams.

Failed Unit

Established Member

Why not send the 700s to Southern, much more suitable if a crush loaded train is the issue. Along with the right side of the Thames for 3 bridges.

Magdalia

Established Member
The problem with dropping them into current diagrams is that half of the services they'd work would be Kings Cross to Letchworth stopping services, which looks daft with 700s still going north of Cambridge.
That's not a problem, it is how the service works now with a mix of classes 387 and 700.

But at first at least they would go onto self contained peak diagrams.
Apart from a few Peterborough services, there aren't any self contained peak diagrams. Peak capacity to and from the Fens is running 12 cars instead of 8, plus running Letchworth trains through to/from Cambridge and Ely trains to/from Kings Lynn.

This is what I'd expect. I described this at#729, part of which is repeated below for those who missed it.

I expect the class 379 to class 387 transition to be much more like class 312 to class 317 and class 317 to class 365 transitions. In both these cases the unit diagrams were split into 3 roughly equally sized blocks, which, for ease of description, I'll call A, B and C. The transition then happened in three stages.

• when enough new units and drivers are available for a third of the service, block A goes over to the new units
  • when enough new units and drivers are available for two thirds of the service, blocks B and C go over to the new units, but block A goes back to the old units
  • when enough units are available for the full service, block A goes over to the new units for the second time.
For ease of operation it is better if block A does not include the diagrams requiring splitting and joining.

Last edited:

Established Member
That's not a problem, it is how the service works now with a mix of classes 387 and 700.
For now ;) but it is undeniably a mismatch of trains and services to have 700s on Kings Lynn fasts and 379s on Letchworth stoppers.

Because the WAML has a top speed of 80mph, the Fen Line 90, and the GEML a top speed of 100. No reason for the 379s to go any faster.
But then you could easily design it towards being future proofed for if it gets used elsewhere, like 387s, With the inbuilt potential to go 110mph. Given that its an Electrostar it probably can hit 110mph already. They all have the same gear ratio for the most part except the class 378s.

Is this not specified by the Government on purpose, so that the operators have to spend less money on re-branding and re-liverying the trains when the operator changes? I thought that was the case starting when ThamesLink and Great Northern replaced First Capital Connect. I saw a mock-up of the Class 700s in First Dynamic Lines livery for First Capital Connect when they were first ordered, and thought that they looked quite good, though oddly I seem to remember that I thought it looked aged and of its time compared to when it was replaced by the, admittedly rather bland, ThamesLink livery on the Class 365s.
I mean its probably the case that its to use less money, but i just dont see why the liverys needs to be so bland, and why its a South england trend, at least it seems that way. Take a look at northern, avanti west coast, Greater Anglia, west midlands and so on, Really nice liverys. At least the most Thameslink could do is apply some more bolder contrasting stickers or door colours. At least thats my opinion.