• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern sending Delay Repay claim in circles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
On Monday 26 March I was travelling from Cambridge to Leeds and planned to catch Great Northern's 1635 to Ely and change there. However, the 1635 was cancelled and so the next service was XC's 1701 to Peterborough. I caught this and, after minor delays on VTEC, arrived in Leeds at 1951 instead of the 1921 it would have been if the 1635 had operated.

I therefore submitted a Delay Repay claim to Great Northern. They declined it on the ground that the delay was less than 15 minutes, which is manifestly incorrect. They advised that, if I thought they'd made the wrong decision I should resubmit the claim, giving the reference number. I did this and explained why the delay was actually 30 minutes. I have now had an email back stating that as this is a duplicate claim to the one already subitted they will not be proceeding with it.

I'll be sending a complaint to Great Northern but I am left open mouthed at the incompetence in both not calculating the first delay correctly and treating the second claim as a duplicate when it gives the original reference number and explains the position. I am left wondering just how inept the staff processing the claims are.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
On Monday 26 March I was travelling from Cambridge to Leeds and planned to catch Great Northern's 1635 to Ely and change there. However, the 1635 was cancelled and so the next service was XC's 1701 to Peterborough. I caught this and, after minor delays on VTEC, arrived in Leeds at 1951 instead of the 1921 it would have been ifvthe 1635 had operated.

I therefore submitted a Delay Repay claim to Great Northern. They declined it on the ground that the delay was less than 15 minutes, which is manifestly incorrect. They advised that, if I thought they'd made the wrong decision I should resubmit the claim, giving the reference number. I did this and explained why the delay was actually 30 minutes. I have now had an email back stating that as this is a duplicate claim to the one already subitted they will not be proceeding with it.

I'll be sending a complaint to Great Northern but I am left open mouthed at the incompetence in both not calculating the first delay correctly and treating the second claim as a duplicate when it gives the original reference number and explains the position. I am left wondering just how inept the staff processing the claims are.

Exactly the same position I found myself in with a recent GTR delay repay claim - except they'd actually claimed it was the fault of VTWC, who I'd come into London with (without delay), and then passed it off to VTEC! I would simply phone or email them manually, not using their delay repay form, and they should sort it out within a few weeks. You may even get a little extra for your delay repay.

TUC

Established Member
Having now completed Great Northern's complaints form https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/help-and-support/contact-us I have to say it seems to demonstrate a company disconnected in its thinking from being part of a national rail network. The drop down list of departure and arrival stations are purely ones served by Great Northern-not even other GTR stations, let alone ones in the rest of the network. The drop down list for what type of ticket gives Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Annual or Other-no thought that passengers might have a Return ticket that is valid for more than one day then?

My point is that, taking the comments of the post above into account, this does not suggest a company that understands, for Delay Repay and other matters, it has a responsibility beyond its little corner of the world.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GTR (the train company operating Great Northern route services) are liable to compensate you under Delay Repay for your journey through to your final destination.

However the company is well known for refusing to honour valid Delay Repay claims and making it difficult to complain.

GTR are widely regarded as Britain's worst train company.

You can refer the matter to Transport Focus. I'd imagine they have a lot of experience dealing with this rogue company.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Having now completed Great Northern's complaints form https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/help-and-support/contact-us I have to say it seems to demonstrate a company disconnected in its thinking from being part of a national rail network. The drop down list of departure and arrival stations are purely ones served by Great Northern-not even other GTR stations, let alone ones in the rest of the network. The drop down list for what type of ticket gives Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Annual or Other-no thought that passengers might have a Return ticket that is valid for more than one day then?

My point is that, taking the comments of the post above into account, this does not suggest a company that understands, for Delay Repay and other matters, it has a responsibility beyond its little corner of the world.
For singles/returns, I think it files under "Daily". Not sure what else it would mean.

But you are right, most TOCs appear to only care about their own operating areas when it comes to pre-filling station fields. The least they could do is provide the facility to fill in a station other than their own, if they want to make things easier by suggesting stations on their own network as that would be the most frequently used.

superalbs

Established Member
That happened to me a while ago too, a few times. First time, I think they sent me compensation anyway.

On the second and third times (same day), I sent them a message on Twitter, and the case is still ongoing (started 17th Feb), but I have received a bit back so far.

If you are able to, message them. In my case it seemed to prompt them to respond by email. I must agree with @yorkie that this company has made it very difficult to complain, constantly making up stuff to get out of paying up.

See here for contacting them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GNRailUK

Failed Unit

Established Member
I know we have many threads on GTR and the difficulties of claiming delay repay. But a have a couple of issues recently.

1. You can only submit 5 claims at once, at the moment I need to submit at least 10 per week, you are basically submitting the same information multiple times, anyone know of a quicker way of doing this?

2. I foolishly used the key pay go on Friday. Because of the problems with the Thameslink core - I decided to walk from Blackfriars to London Kings Cross for speed. They have charged the card with a single journey from Welwyn Garden City - Blackfrairs and the a single from London Kings Cross - Welwyn Garden city. Anyone know of any way of getting this rectified or is it case of putting it down to experience. Thier helpline doesn't see the problem nor my justification that I should be charged for a Welwyn Garden City - Blackfairs return.

Finally when they reject this claims - what is the general advice? Directly to Transport focus. The assure me that the are judge by DfT about the delay repay process. I think they are trying to pocket the money by making it impossible to claim. I really can't be bothered having to resubmit everything again it has taken about 40 minutes first time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2. I foolishly used the key pay go on Friday. Because of the problems with the Thameslink core - I decided to walk from Blackfriars to London Kings Cross for speed. They have charged the card with a single journey from Welwyn Garden City - Blackfrairs and the a single from London Kings Cross - Welwyn Garden city. Anyone know of any way of getting this rectified or is it case of putting it down to experience. Thier helpline doesn't see the problem nor my justification that I should be charged for a Welwyn Garden City - Blackfairs return.
What's the price difference?

Take it to Transport Focus yes, and if they are unsuccessful, escalate the matter to your MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.