• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR AEC railcar

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

Apart from Didcot, is there anywhere else I can ride on a GWR AEC railcar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Apart from Didcot, is there anywhere else I can ride on a GWR AEC railcar?
I think the Kent and East Sussex have one, but I don't know if it's in working order or not. There's also one at STEAM in Swindon, but I imagine that's on static display.

Cymroglan

The Steam one is going to be static for the forseeable future. The KESR one is being worked on, but according to one of the station staff at Tenterden, it is not expected in service any time soon.

The one at Didcot is in terrific condition, shame it's such a short ride!

Schnellzug

Established Member
The Steam one is going to be static for the forseeable future. The KESR one is being worked on, but according to one of the station staff at Tenterden, it is not expected in service any time soon.

The one at Didcot is in terrific condition, shame it's such a short ride!

Since the Cholsey & Wallingford is (literally) just down the road, I've often thought it would be good if that was used to give the GWS stock a bit of exercise from time to time. I suppose one problem might be that they're so close that it'd hardly be economic to load them onto a transporter and take them a couple of miles and then unload them again, particulalry as I believe they have to shunt everything onto NR tracks to get it into and out of Didcot.

102 fan

I was hoping to travel on one next year when at Railfest. York to Didcot seems the only way.

paul1609

Established Member
I think the Kent and East Sussex have one, but I don't know if it's in working order or not. There's also one at STEAM in Swindon, but I imagine that's on static display.
The kesr one is undergoing a major overhaul it is expected back in service in around 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.