• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hatfield to Stratford International

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Okay, so how do you get a fare to Stratford International using HS1 without paying through the nose?

I can get a St Pancras to Stratford International ticket for £4.80 return (what an absolute bargain, not - rich man's railway indeed!) but on the EC booking engine, all tickets from Hatfield say via Hackney Wick! There's no mention of HS1.

I have my season, so only need from St Pancras - but the wife needs a ticket from here. Does she need to get two tickets (Hatfield to London Terminals) and then a second one? How silly!

All tickets would be with a Gold Card discount.

The alternative is to say sod off to SET and just go Overground from Highbury & Islington - which would be free for me - but it means more changes and walking/stairs etc - the wife is pregnant.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It doesn't look like fares exist. Avantix returns an error.

district

Looks like you'll have to get two tickets, if Avantix is to go by.
HAT to 1072 (CDR): £10.50 and then 1072 to SFA (CDR): £7.30. Total will be £17.80.
I can't find Gold Card discounts on Avantix.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Buy a ticket to Maryland ;)

And walk from there, or is that some sort of trick with the routeing guide?!

I love the fact that EC will sell a ticket to Stratford International that says you must go to Stratford (regional) and walk to it. How many people buy train tickets where you WALK to the station?

And to come back? What do we do, walk to the station and put the ticket through the gate, walk out and then go to Stratford regional again?

What a load of crap. The quicker SET just puts Stratford International into the zonal system the better. It's a farce as it stands. It's also crazy to be charged £4.80 return for a 7 minute journey! I can say right now that the train will be virtually empty when we get on it too.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Buy a ticket to Maryland ;)

And walk from there, or is that some sort of trick with the routeing guide?!

Maryland is the next station after Stratford Regional on the line from Liverpool Street. The Any Permitted ticket from Hatfield will be valid via HS1. You just forget to do the last leg.;)

Wish I'd thought of that.:oops:

cav1975

SET's latest maps in trains and timetables show St Pancras International in zone 1 and Stratford International in zone 3 with no mention of any limitations!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I saw posters saying you couldn't use Oyster PAYG but it seemed like you could get a season on Oyster with HS1 added on?

Also, I can't find any fares from Hatfield to Maryland. If you got from London Terminals, wouldn't they argue you needed to start from Liverpool St and not St Pancras?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's odd. They appear in Avantix, but I can't get SET to sell them.

Hatfield RP is Finsbury Park (Stevenage will fail fare check)
Maryland RP is Stratford London Group (Romford will fail fare check)
Permitted routes between Finsbury Park and Stratford London Group are LONDON
London to Stratford London Group is valid on maps HK and HS (guess what they are?) as well as CO of course.
Hatfield to Maryland shows fares via Hackney Wick or +Any Permitted. You should be able to buy them.

Edit: Thetrainline will sell them if you ask to go via St Pancras. Hopefully their other sites will too.

I saw posters saying you couldn't use Oyster PAYG but it seemed like you could get a season on Oyster with HS1 added on?

Also, I can't find any fares from Hatfield to Maryland. If you got from London Terminals, wouldn't they argue you needed to start from Liverpool St and not St Pancras?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

3 mile rule. But don't expect this to necessarily work. I was refused at the gateline with a Zone U1 to Chelmsford Any Permitted at St Pancras. Seems you have to be quite lucky to be allowed to board this heavily-guarded premium line with no first class when you've bought a valid ticket. SE did eventually admit they were wrong but that they would change the fares, this obviously hasn't materialised.

That's odd. They appear in Avantix, but I can't get SET to sell them.

Hatfield RP is Finsbury Park (Stevenage will fail fare check)
Maryland RP is Stratford London Group (Romford will fail fare check)
Permitted routes between Finsbury Park and Stratford London Group are LONDON
London to Stratford London Group is valid on maps HK and HS (guess what they are?) as well as CO of course.
Hatfield to Maryland shows fares via Hackney Wick or +Any Permitted. You should be able to buy them.

Edit: Thetrainline will sell them if you ask to go via St Pancras. Hopefully their other sites will too.

Tried East Coast, Hatfield to Maryland works with a via point of Stratford International.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
"Seems you have to be quite lucky to be allowed to board this heavily-guarded premium line with no first class when you've bought a valid ticket."

I think the quoting went a bit wrong there.. that wasn't in my post but I suspect was something you said yourself! Very true too!

On the way home tonight (btw, we set off before I got these posts and the wife would have wanted an easy life, so we paid the £4.80 each!) there were some girls from Newcastle (well Gateshead) and they were talking about how expensive London was, and then I overheard one saying about her employer giving discounts on travel so she paid just £30 for a year season ticket on the Metro! No wonder she thought a train ticket from King's Cross to Hatfield was expensive!

And there was me having paid £4.80 to travel a few miles on 'HS1' which doesn't even go that fast to Stratford - a station that looks like it cost about 25p* to build. :)

Trying EC again. Bit confusing to have no tickets available (by any route) until you enter a via point. Now it's saying I can only get a single ticket. The return options are ghosted out and appear to be Travelcards, or some tickets that are £11.55 and £13 respectively. Edit: This might be because it can't find any return services - is there engineering work tomorrow?

Ironically, the wife got a Hatfield to London Terminals super-off peak return for £5.80 (I think) with a Gold Card. Add on £4.80 and the two separate tickets are still cheaper. Unless I am missing something?

* Clearly it didn't cost 25p, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as it was probably nearer 5p.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.