Heaton Lodge Junction: Britain’s Biggest Model Railway

Iskra

Established Member
If anyone is interested; this model railway which has been well documented on Youtube is to go on display in Wakefield Market Hall in December.

I think I will visit since it’s local. I also like that at £250k it makes my modelling spend look very reasonable in comparison :D

I’m not endorsing the Daily Mail, but they just happen to be covering it:

A nostalgia project that has taken six years to complete has become Britain's biggest model railway - and it could soon go on tour.

Businessman Simon George, 53, yearned to recreate his favourite childhood spot from 1983 - a railway junction near Mirfield in West Yorkshire.

Now, the model is set to be exhibited in Wakefield Market Hall from December 4 to 19, with the chances of a UK city tour after that, The Observer reports.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s an amazing railway. I love the way he’s caught the bleak nature of the season and place.

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, it's excellent and the effort that has gone into it is phenomenal! It also has a lot of local interest for me as the Transpennine Mainline was my local railway when I grew up :)

Veteran Member
If anyone is interested; this model railway which has been well documented on Youtube is to go on display in Wakefield Cathedral in December.

I think I will visit since it’s local. I also like that at £250k it makes my modelling spend look very reasonable in comparison :D

The report says the Market Hall not the Cathedral.

Established Member
If anyone is interested; this model railway which has been well documented on Youtube is to go on display in Wakefield Market Hall in December.

Very impressive layout. Even featured on the Hornby show on the Yesterday channel last night.

fourtytwo

Fantastic, unfortunately too far from Wakefield but I will keep an eye out for his itinerary next year, maybe it will come to Norfolk! Thanks for posting Iskra :smile:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Multiple outlets have covered this in recent weeks (mostly with the same or very similar text and images), including the Guardian if that's more up peoples' street!

Peter C

Established Member
The layout does look amazing. It all seems to just work together to make on coherent scene.

-Peter