• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

High Speed 2 225 mph train

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Yep... like you say just things like Manc-Rose Hill/Marple and Ellesmere Port-Warr BQ would be must better to release stock. Electrifying Uckfield, The North Downs and the Marshlink would leave one piece of passsenger track in SE England unelectrified. Anyone want to guess where?

Folkestone Harbour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Yep... like you say just things like Manc-Rose Hill/Marple and Ellesmere Port-Warr BQ would be must better to release stock. Electrifying Uckfield, The North Downs and the Marshlink would leave one piece of passsenger track in SE England unelectrified. Anyone want to guess where?

<snip>
Can't really count Gospel Oak-Barking (which needs electrifying as well)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
<snip>
Can't really count Gospel Oak-Barking (which needs electrifying as well)

Which is on the Midland. Its on the old Southern, in Kent, a Branchline, less than half a mile long...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK - the bit of track I was talking about was... the Swale Swing Bridge :D :D

LE Greys

Established Member
Which is on the Midland. Its on the old Southern, in Kent, a Branchline, less than half a mile long...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK - the bit of track I was talking about was... the Swale Swing Bridge :D :D

Well, you stumped me! :D Well done!

scotsman

Established Member
I was wondering why the Daily Mail would run such a pro-rail story....

jas_sl

Like with most concept renderings these are a chance to float new ideas and get people thinking and excited. I for one like them but also understand how the points raised will ultimately shape the finished product. I can guarantee alot of iconic building or bridges wouldn't have been quite so impressive if their starting point, the concept drawings, weren't pushing the boat out just a little before the grim reality of cost and laws of physics set in!

And anyway, what cost of the entire HS2 build would be made up of the rolling stock and its design?

brianthegiant

What concerns me, is that behind the glitzy images of scenic buffet cars which would never meet safety regs, is that this is by the same designer as the very cramped pendolino & who's background is in aircraft cabin design. ie their track record for actually designing spacious rail cabins is not very good.

Seems to me that since HS2 is intended to be european guage, we ought to take advantage & have something a bit more spacious, like the ICE..

LE Greys

Established Member
What concerns me, is that behind the glitzy images of scenic buffet cars which would never meet safety regs, is that this is by the same designer as the very cramped pendolino & who's background is in aircraft cabin design. ie their track record for actually designing spacious rail cabins is not very good.

Seems to me that since HS2 is intended to be european guage, we ought to take advantage & have something a bit more spacious, like the ICE..

They'd end up captive on the route, but it's still a very good idea for the cross-channel trains. Duplex TGVs would provide enough capacity to replace aircraft completely on the London-Paris and London-Brussels routes, and, if they ran in pairs, be capable of splitting to serve two different destinations beyond there (Amsterdam/Munich or Geneva/Nice).

I like the concept but surely something that fast & luxurious is meant for LONG DISTANCE, not a quick hop to Brum? Is complete overkill surely?

Something about this puts the words NATIONAL EXPRESS and SILVERSTONE in my head for some reason, 'cos Brackley is just down the road from there. Am I the only one thinking this? Sure it will be transport for the uber-rich :s

brianthegiant

Where is that stated anywhere? Certainly was not the case under the Labour Governments plans...

Its definately in the reports, I think " Britain's Transport Infrastructure: High Speed Two" Department for Transport publication on high speed rail
HS2 will be built to European GC loading gauge enabling GB+ gauge freight, and duplex passenger stock from BHAM-Europe,
further extensions of HS2 would also be GC guage. There is talk in the reports of using 2 types of stock, Duplex for BHAM-London/(europe).
and narrower stock al la eurostar 373s for routes going onto classic lines beyond HS2. I suspect this is discussed in more detail in the previous HS2 threads.

caliwag

Interesting...all the discussion on Health an safety rules not allowing such a sleak interior: watch out for the next government announcement sweeping away such silly rules. Today's news: communities will be allowed to build up to 20 houses in green belt without planning permission!
Like all things in UK, this does not take account of NIMBYS<(

Status
Not open for further replies.