• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hotel Chains Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For two adults (not a couple) sharing I found the bed arrangement in the Ibis Budget better than a Premier Inn or Travelodge family room as the second bed is a proper bed, the rooms I stayed in were a double bed and then a bunk at a right angle to the double bed. The shower / bathroom arrangement as others have commented on was sub optimal however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Runningaround

I'm having second thoughts about the York Travelodge. I've found an independent 3 star hotel, with good reviews, that is only a short walk away from where I usually stay, right in the heart of historic York, that is only just over £50 more expensive B&B, after taking into the account the extra I'd have to pay to stay at the Travelodge for breakfast and to have my bag stored. It's a couple of combined Georgian townhouses. It sounds and looks very nice. I might cancel the Travelodge and book there instead.
I'm pretty sure there are cafes open that do a breakfast better that a chain hotel can. If the options there always go independent and if the positive reviews are genuine(they are more likely as they don't have a staff of 100's like Premier Inn have to post reviews on each of their hotels). Sad thing with chains is you'll be spending a large part of the trip in an identical room to one anywhere else with staff just doing a job and often not wanting to be there. At least when the owner lives in the hotel they run you have someone who cares and it'll be unique to their taste.

pdq

At least when the owner lives in the hotel they run you have someone who cares and it'll be unique to their taste.
Unfortunately not always the case, although Trip Advisor has helped to root out the worst.

Back in 2001 (I remember as it was the foot and mouth outbreak year) my wife and I stayed in a tiny but lovely self catering cottage in Devon. For our last night on the way home I 'treated' us to a B&B in Frome. It sounded very nice in the AA guidebook - homely and cosy, serving good homecooked food. Perfect after a few days self catering. We got there to find the dining room closed. Then we entered the room. Everything was pink. Very pink. And all shades of mismatched pink. It also stank of perfume trying to hide cigarette smoke. There wasn't a headboard - rather a couple of pillows attached to a curtain pole. And the colour of the pillowcases was pink mixed with hair grease. It really was unpleasant.

We had to drive to get dinner and on the way we passed a Travelodge. For half the price of our disgusting, pink B&B we could have had a boring but clean room. That experience put me off independents for a while, though it's easier to spot a dud - or a gem - these days.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing I've noticed in recent PI stays (not saying TL are innocent of it) is an issue with grubby windows (on the outside). Have PI had an argument with their window cleaning firm? This seems very easy to fix with a bloke with a big stick at most of the low rise hotels, though perhaps the fully sealed windows were a bad choice - even if you locked them and removed the handle, Euro style lean and turn windows would allow cleaning from the inside by general cleaning staff once a month or so (which is how often mine are done at home).

---

Just had an experience which reminds me why I tend towards chains.

Booked a decent looking hotel, saying I'd arrive around 2200, pretty typical for a Friday evening travelling after work.

Got a message back: "Sorry, we can't do check-in any later than 7pm"

Er, wha? That's rather limiting your catchment! I get you might not be around the whole evening but there's a million and one solutions to that, e.g. putting the key in a key box or under the flowerpot! :)

Cancelled it and I'll book the Premier Inn, despite it being quite a bit more expensive!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.