• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do I know which platform to go to when changing trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee123

Hello.

I am from the UK and would like to start doing some travelling around by train. However I have not used them before despite me being 26.

I guess I would just to ask, how do you know where your going regarding change overs etc? Doesn't seem to say much on a train ticket that I can see?

For example, Chester to York you need to stop over in Manchester Piccadilly (Only know that as I looked it up), but if I didn't look it up, how do I know where to go etc?

Thanks,
Lee.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Unless there is a direct train, you will either have to ask someone for advice, or look it up online.

National Rail Enquiries website gives you a quick reference point for journey planning. Alternatively you could ask station staff, or ask on here. :smile:

Lee123

Very true! I guess my only worry is if the trains operated differently from what it states online? I had a look at some journeys are showing what platform number?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you tell us what ticket you are planning to buy / have bought, we can tell you what your options are.

Booked platforms are obviously subject to last-minute alterations.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For example, Chester to York you need to stop over in Manchester Piccadilly
You'd need to change trains at Manchester Piccadilly, yes. There are departure boards which will tell you which platform to go to, and if you're unsure you can ask staff. We can advise on the booked platforms for your specific trains, so you have an idea of where to go under normal circumstances.

Lee123

The only thing is regarding the route when I buy the tickets, I would like to start some travelling and visit different parts of Britain.

If I bought tickets on a machine does it tell you the route on the screen and switches etc?

higthomas

The only thing is regarding the route when I buy the tickets, I would like to start some travelling and visit different parts of Britain.

If I bought tickets on a machine does it tell you the route on the screen and switches etc?

If you buy it from a machine at a station it is unlikely to do so. If alternatively you buy it either online or at a manned ticket office, they will tell you what route to take, with train times.

Bill EWS

Mainline Trains will give you all the details you need. It also states all the stops of any particular train you are taking by the click of your mouse. So far they don't give platform numbers. However, that isn't guaranteed as, as has been stated above, the platform can be changed at the last moment. I find Mainline very good with just the occasional error.

ac6000cw

Established Member
If you have a smartphone, the National Rail app is also very useful for journey planning. Even better, the 'live trains' feature allows you to check how trains are running at a station (on time or late), and which platforms they are using - note that platforms can be changed at the last minute, so always check the passenger information displays at the station or ask the staff before boarding a train.

To get an idea of the geography of the rail system, there are a set of downloadable maps here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/maps.aspx

Last edited:

Lee123

Thanks for the replies guys. No I don't have a smartphone, but do have a tablet. Will give it a look. Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's just that, after I have bought my train ticket, I'm just confused on how I would know what train I am getting.

For example,

If I bought a ticket from one of them machines, Chester to Llandudno, there are trains going straight to Llandudno, and others stopping off in at Llandudno Junction on the way to Holyhead.

How would I know which train I am getting on? Would the ticket machine show me a list of trains with the route they are taking or what?

If I looked up the route online how would I know what train is mine?

If that makes sense, probably going overboard here witht his, but new to this and rather anxious.

Jonfun

Established Member
Ticket machines won't show journey advice, but if you buy your ticket from the booking office, the clerk should be able to print you off an itinerary if you'd like something to keep hold of and refer to.

Alternatively, look at a railway map before you travel and familiarise yourself with which lines go towards your destination - so like you say for Llandudo, you can either take a direct train, or take one which calls at Llandudno Junction and change there. Unless your ticket states it is routed a specific way (eg via London, not via Crewe etc) you can travel via any reasonable route to your destination.

ac6000cw

Established Member
....and if you are still not sure, just ask a railway staff member, or failing that, another passenger on the platform - 'does it stop at xxxx' or 'is this the train for yyyy' are the commonest questions you might get asked while waiting for a train :)

Lee123

I'm still confused on how it works :oops:

I can't see how I would know where I was going. If I had to grab a train with a change (Llandudno Junction), how would I know if it was the Holyhead train I needed to catch for example?

The departure board would say Holyhead?

ac6000cw

Established Member
I'm still confused on how it works :oops:

I can't see how I would know where I was going. If I had to grab a train with a change (Llandudno Junction), how would I know if it was the Holyhead train I needed to catch for example?

The departure board would say Holyhead?

Yes, it would.

If you do journey planning on National Rail website or app, the 'details' view should show the starting and final destination stations for each train in an itinerary - it's the 'final destination' that is shown on the main departure board at a station.

The more detailed displays on each platform should also show the 'calling at:' information (intermediate station stops) for the train.

Lee123

So I assume then that the time shown on the national rail website/app would be the same time the train arrived?

So 16:45 on the national rail site/app and the train arriving in station?

ac6000cw

Established Member
So I assume then that the time shown on the national rail website/app would be the same time the train arrived?

So 16:45 on the national rail site/app and the train arriving in station?

The times are normally departure times (except for the final destination station of a train, when it will be an arrival time). Sometimes a train will pause for a few minutes at an intermediate station for various reasons, so you might see both arrival and departure times for that station listed.

Note that some stations have both train departure and train arrival boards, so make sure you are looking at the departure board if you are catching a train....

Last edited:

Lee123

I think I might of been looking at it completely wrong which was why I was getting confused.

Am I right in thinking I just look online, want the 12:55 train, then ask for a ticket for the 12:55 train?

Veteran Member
If you are buying your ticket at the station when you want to travel, it's even simpler than that:

You don't have to decide in advance which train you want to catch, though it's a good idea to look up the times before you leave home.

If you are going from Chester to Llandudno (as you said earlier), the ticket will be OK for any train later that day.

If you are coming back as well, you can buy a ticket to come back the same day, or one that you can use to come back another day. The ticket seller will ask you which.

Hope that helps.

PS there are types of ticket you can buy online in advance. Sometimes they can be a lot cheaper, but not for the journey from Chester to Llandudno.

richw

Veteran Member
Generally there is little info available until you get to the interchange station, other than a few train managers who share platforms over the tannoy.

I have travelled on a few FGW services in the southwest recently with a certain female TM who announces every platform for connecting services. It gets most interesting just before arrival at Exeter with her giving out for Barnstaple, exmouth, dawlish stoppers, Axminster/honiton, and paignton(non Newton abbot stoppers). This TM I've come across 3 or 4 times in the last month, always very pleasant when she is doing her rounds of the train.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.