• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

johnnychips

Established Member
There were 35 on the 0930 from Sheffield today, off and on. A lot got off at Ladybower compared to last week, but there were at least fifteen going further. The driver said he would have liked to get the double-decker out, but it was blocked in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Impressive changes to this route - starting an hour earlier from Sheffield, most journeys extending to the airport (though the last one there every day just disappears).
And a last bus at midnight Friday and Saturday night from Manchester.

Attachments

• HULX57 Sheffield-ManchesterAirport 16 05 2021.pdf
    187.7 KB · Views: 139

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interestingly they are stopping at a few points along Oxford Road that could be convenient for the student market (and of course they accept railcards - which students are disproportionately likely to have). If it's promoted in the right way there could be a surprisingly large market for students wanting to get out of the city of a weekend and go to the Peak District.

Llandudno

Established Member
Impressive changes to this route - starting an hour earlier from Sheffield, most journeys extending to the airport (though the last one there every day just disappears).
And a last bus at midnight Friday and Saturday night from Manchester.
Yes, very innovative, can you imagine the likes of Arriva doing something like this!

Seriously though, not sure about the Airport extension as it may jeopardise the reliability of the Manchester-Sheffield section.

I doubt whether there will be many passengers travelling to/from the Airport but I guess that those do will be travelling most or all of the way to/from Sheffield and will be paying a significant fare for the privilege.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Unless it impacts on the drivers rest period?

True, although 75 minutes seems very long even for that.

Also, the first "University" stop in Fallowfield possibly gives drivers the choice of driving via Pirincess Road or via Kingsway, depending on traffic congestion (the journey time in good traffic is about the same either way)

Llandudno

Established Member
True, although 75 minutes seems very long even for that.

Also, the first "University" stop in Fallowfield possibly gives drivers the choice of driving via Pirincess Road or via Kingsway, depending on traffic congestion (the journey time in good traffic is about the same either way)
Indeed the long turnaround time at the Airport should be ample on most occasions, I hope the Airport don’t charge them for parking for 75 minutes!

The additional time taken of operating to/from the Airport and tying a bus up at the Airport for such a long period of time is quite lengthy, does it actually even cost another vehicle?
Needs decent extra revenue to cover it!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed the long turnaround time at the Airport should be ample on most occasions, I hope the Airport don’t charge them for parking for 75 minutes!

The additional time taken of operating to/from the Airport and tying a bus up at the Airport for such a long period of time is quite lengthy, does it actually even cost another vehicle?
Needs decent extra revenue to cover it!

It seems to be pinning a lot on students - day trips to the Peak and perhaps international students from the Airport to Fallowfield?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It seems to be pinning a lot on students - day trips to the Peak and perhaps international students from the Airport to Fallowfield?
There's already the 43 every 10 minutes between the Airport and Fallowfield (and every 30 minutes overnight).

cnjb8

Established Member
Anyone know what buses they regularly use on this service? They've acquired a new MCV Evora and purchased some second hand B7RLEs recently. They'd be better on Manchester to Sheffield then a Tempo or Dart...

RELL6L

When I caught it my bus was a Versa, which was fine although I only used it between Ladybower and Glossop. The other bus was a Scania.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
The TravelSouthYorkshire X57 Timetable shows the service going Central Manchester-Airport via The Trafford Centre.
I think Hulleys need to work out how they want their buses to run as this isn't good always changing the route. It will lead to the public having no faith in the service.

I think the Trafford Centre has more potential than the Airport so it may be a great call in the end. I am not 100% though on the routing as for distance passengers it will add a lot of time on however they may pick up some uni students? Who is more valuable? time will tell. I think one or the other might have been the best way to go since almost no one is doing Airport - Trafford Centre to passengers for the Airport will now be taken on a 20 minute detour to serve the Trafford Centre. They have 100% lost the City-Airport fast market as well going via the Trafford Centre.

Interesting move, will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm optimistic for the overall service but less so for this Manchester routing.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The TravelSouthYorkshire X57 Timetable shows the service going Central Manchester-Airport via The Trafford Centre.
Link here:

It seems odd to have two different timetables floating around less than a week before the service starts - the South Yorkshire timetable shows services via the Trafford centre being 20 minutes slower.

Hulley's Facebook page has a timetable that matches the Derbyshire one.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

You'd think that if they were running to the Trafford Centre at least some mention of it would have been made on their Facebook page. I wonder if the Trafford Centre was considered and a demo timetable drawn up, which Travel South Yorkshire are mistakenly using?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You'd think that if they were running to the Trafford Centre at least some mention of it would have been made on their Facebook page. I wonder if the Trafford Centre was considered and a demo timetable drawn up, which Travel South Yorkshire are mistakenly using?
Hulleys have confirmed on their Facebook page that they are not running via the Trafford Centre and will ask TSY to correct their timetable.

Manclad83

I agree that the Trafford Centre would perhaps prove more successful than the airport.
The airport has to be frequent and run all day for it to be successful as the majority of passengers tend to be workers.

ALEMASTER

As far as I am aware the Travel South Yorkshire (TSY) timetables are generated from the TransExchange electronic timetable file the operators provide with their registration so a very strange occurence!

johnnychips

Established Member
A man, somewhere near the Snake Inn, missed the last bus to Manchester as he wasn’t sure where to stand. There were two, I assume, Hulleys employees on the bus to Sheffield and they bought him a rail ticket - how’s that for customer service!

Bit OT but there were 23 on the X71 from Sheffield to Alton Towers on a not particularly nice day, which was encouraging.

RELL6L

Hulleys now tracking on Bus Times and information improving almost by the minute. First it was just fleet numbers, then some registrations appeared, now all with liveries too. Great stuff!
Usual caveats understood!

cnjb8

Established Member
Will there be more Ex-First B7RLEs coming to Hulleys or is it just 2?
Apparently it's just two, one to replace a Dart and another for fleet expansion

EDIT:
Scratch that, another B7RLE is due.

There has been a small depot fire, with Solo 5 (YN53ZWV) and Omni 24 (YR10AZA) recieving major damage.

Last edited:

traction22

Not found a timetable yet, but Hulleys summer service X98 and X99 from Yorkshire to Skegness (Saturday) and Scarborough (Sunday's) to start from first weekend in July.

An image has been posted on their FB page with details (not timetable). Fares £15 return (that includes a week return ticket too).

EDIT: For those who can't view the image, it confirms details of the message above. Small print British Summer time only. No ENCTS or Staff passes accepted.
X98 Sheffield-Chesterfield-Mansfield-Tuxford-Skegness-Ingoldmells
X99 Sheffield-Rotherham-Doncaster-Bridlington-filey-Scarborough

x98.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

peterblue

This is very adventurous indeed! British staycations should do well especially with how awkward international travel will be

cnjb8

Established Member
Surprised it avoids Nottingham, everyone here has visited Skeggy at least once!