• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identification Help Pleas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNNO42000

Hi,

I purchased this lamp and would love to find out some more details age etc. I have found some on the internet that have 4 glass windows but this only has 2. I'm more used to mining lamps but found the shape of this really interesting. The tank underneath smells of oil, possibly parafin. It is marked BR(M) on the front of the base. One other favour I'd ask is how do you get to the glass (which looks like the old fashioned glass they had on oil lamps) ?

Thank you for looking

John1100010795.jpg1100010797.jpg1100010796.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seen them advertised for between £74-£85.

Mainly made of brass/copper; yours looks like it hasn't had a clean for a while.

Lamp oil-fuelled? (Burns slightly cleaner than paraffin).

"BR (M)" = British Rail (Midland Region) but you'd probably guessed that already!

Date must be post nationalisation, so anytime between 1948 and mid-1990's, I would suggest.

Other similar examples sometimes have coloured (green?) glass on one side.

Does that help any?

And did the auctioneers' saleroom description provide any additional info?

JOHNNO42000

Hi, that's great. All the auctioner put was Old Lantern so not much help. It could do with a good clean but I'm worried about breaking something :frown: , also I can't get to the inside lamp part.

Thanks for the information and your help, John

John Webb

Established Member
This is the internal part of a signal lamp. A fixed outer case with a hinged lid is on the signal post. The side of this case nearest the arm has a lens to concentrate the light into a beam shining through the coloured glass/plastic forming the 'spectacle' on the signal arm; the opposite side of the case has a small circular glass-covered opening which allows the signaller to see if the lamp is lit or not.

The container in the internal part holds sufficient oil for a week of burning if the wick is correctly adjusted.
The cap, chain and handle arrangement on the top covers the vent to protect the 'lampman' as he removes or replaces the internal part from/into the outer casing - the handle has to fold down before the casing lid can be closed and this uncovers the vent to allow the flame to burn properly.

Apologies I don't have photos of the similar units we have at St Albans South box to give a clearer explanation.

There should be a catch somewhere that allows the top part with the glass in to tilt back and expose the central wick unit; possibly the rod visible in your second photo - move it further to the right to release the top half?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.